Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • My Brooks looks cream crackered!
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Had it less than a month, done about 600’ish miles on it and it’s sagging like a saggy thing from saggy things ‘R’ us.

I didn’t proofhide it, but surely if it’s just down to that then not proofing them at the factory is plain stupid.
    I certainly never proofed the one I rode in the 70s and that was fine..

Or is it because it’s wet? Do I let it dry and tighten it?

paul78
    Free Member

Mine did the same… they really don’t like getting wet.. pretty sure you aren’t meant to get them wet.

Wait till is dries and see where your at .. they reckon tension wise they only ever require quarter or half turn…

.. high maintenance saddle !!! very comfy though

69er
    Free Member

A saddle you aren’t supposed to get wet? Great for cycling in GB then…

Still, at least they’re cheap 😯 ,light 😯 , and don’t need to spend ages breaking them in 😉

RustySpanner

DON’T tighten it whilst wet, you’ll stretch it beyond hope.
    Honestly, you’ll ruin it.

It should regain it’s shape once it dries.

I’ve proofided all mine from new, from both sides and tend to wrap them in a placcy bag if it’s chucking it down.
    Also try and let them dry out between soakings.

Anyway, post up a picture, let’s have a look.

At the price of modern ones I’d be sending the bloody thing back if it’s knackered.
    My last B17 was £21.99 in 2001, not prepared to pay £60 odd quid for a new one.

Currently looking at the Spa Cycles alternatives, will order one as soon as they are back in stock.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve bought the Swift. It’s on my training bike, I sort of went down the bike for life thing! Ti frame, Chris King you know and a Brooks. I’m not usually out for less than 100km at a time, but I didn’t expect it to shit itself on a typical British wet Spring day.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

not had any problems with mine, although they have looked battered, then I just let it dry out and re-treat it and it comes up good.

They need looking after. Most will come with a cover.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah mine did, but you can’t put a cover on it when your out riding.
    I’m proper not happy, I was going to use it to ride to Paris and back again.

ononeorange

As above…..a saddle you can’t get wet??!!!!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

put a pic up, mine looked seriously battered but a good dry out near the log burner and a bit of elbow grease and it was just right.

i don’t have any of mine in battered state.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

As above…..a saddle you can’t get wet??!!!!

You can, you just need to look after it, If you never oil your chain and it gets wet it will die too.

AlasdairMc

My Swift is the same, one side has popped out a bit. I think it’s because there’s nothing securing the two sides of the saddle together unlike the Swallow.

However, it is pretty comfy, I rode a century on mine yesterday with no issues.

Although, as above pics would help…

oldgit
    Free Member

Looking better, but still sagging and very very soft. Previously it was straight nose to tail.

oldgit
    Free Member

Will proofing it delay this happening in the future? It feels like I could tear it with my hands.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The leather looks in good nick, hard to tell from photo,

Take it off your bike, leave it somewhere warm for a couple of days then tighten it up, I think with a bit of work it’ll be fine.

Its likely to still have a fair bit of damp in it due to the temp and weather if you got it soaked.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Will proofing it delay this happening in the future? It feels like I could tear it with my hands.

Yes, also looks its not been kept tight.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You read the instructions right ? The ones that say use mudguards …….

They dont like getting wet but offer great comfort so i can deal with it – did 300k in pouring rain on my b17 with a tesco bag on it – im sure folk are laughing as their bikes look so awesome with out the tesco bag but given i was able to do another 200k the next day no undercarridge issues i see that as a price worth paying !

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have 2 b17s and a swallow – swallow was a huge dissapointment compared to the b17s tbh…….

druidh
    Free Member

I used Sno-Seal on mine (B17) when I got it. I also tightened it up occasionally. A few thousand km later and it’s still fine. I’ve never put a plastic bag or anything on it either.

Joe

I’ve got a b17 on my beater that gets soaked and muddy. I’ve proofided it once to make it look a little bit more brown again, but since then haven’t had to touch it. It’s quite soft but I think that’s the point.

oldgit
    Free Member

So for a mudguard-less training bike I use all year round it’s a crock of shit then.
    I don’t want to ride to suit my kit, my kit needs to suit my rides.
    Bad, very bad indeed.

drofluf
    Free Member

Let it dry properly in the warm, proof ride top and bottom, tighten if necessary. Like others I’ve used mine in all weathers without issue but they need a little tlc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You ride alone in winter then or at back of pack ?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

So for a mudguard-less training bike I use all year round and don’t look after it’s a crock of shit then.

😉

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve put >20k on my touring B17 in all weathers and it’s fine. Q. Do your leather shoes spontaneously fall apart when worn in the rain? Errrm probably not.

Dry it naturally then proofhide it both sides (I actually use Neetsfoot oil sparingly cos I got it FOC from the local stables). I tend to bag mine when they stand in the rain but not when using them.

If you don’t want a saddle that needs a bit of TLC, sell it and buy a plastic one. Sorted 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

You ride alone in winter then or at back of pack ?

Used to use guards, but was the only one doing so. gave up in the end.

TiRed

Dry, proofhide both sides (more on the bottom) and re-tension. Repeat for next 20 years. Use a saddle cover in the rain next time. Brooks’s isnt that big.

To be honest, I rode with my B17 on the singlespeed off-road for the past year. Needed a lot of proofhide after some very wet rides. I also use Black Parade polish to bring it back – that one isn’t official policy. Swapped to a Flite Ti to tackle more technical stuff, but maintenance was not an issue.

oldgit
    Free Member

😳

RustySpanner

Sorry to bang on about this, but PLEASE DON’T tighten it up just yet!
    The only really knackered Brooks saddles I’ve seen have been overtightened when wet.

Try and mould it back to the original shape by hand if you can, then let it dry naturally, not on top of a fire.

Once it’s really, really dried out, I’d apply a bit of proofide to both sides and buff the top.

I don’t think you’ve knackered it beyond repair, just accelerated the breaking in process!

oldgit – Member

So for a mudguard-less training bike I use all year round it’s a crock of shit then.
    I don’t want to ride to suit my kit, my kit needs to suit my rides.
    Bad, very bad indeed.

Well, how would you treat a handmade pair of leather boots?
    Soak them everyday, not polish them or give them a chance to dry out and then leave them in the shed? 😉

Oh, if you still don’t want it after you’ve done all that, I’ll give you £20.00 for it. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Righto.
    Taken it off with the post and brought indoors. I noticed straight away that the nose bolt assembly is loose. I’ll leave it to dry and tension it if needs be next weekend.
    Just about to order proofhide and one of those natty guards.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The wAter has swollen the weather thatsbwhy the bolt seems loose ….

When it drys it will tighten up again

Ifnyou tighten it now when it drys it will either tear or be uncomfortable as hell

PePPeR

Try and get it back into shape whilst its still wet, once dry it’ll be difficult to get sorted!

I always carry an old carrier bag in my back pack, and wrap it up when the weather gets bad!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Definite 1st world problem this one.

smell_it
    Free Member

I would shape it, let it dry, tighten it up, proof it and then sell it and buy a saddle that suits the riding I do.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Once it’s dried out give the underside a good blathering (technical term) in proofide but don’t polish it off. Give the topside a smearing of proofide – leave it overnight and then buff with a nice clean cloth (your lasses old pants will work best).
    SADDLE CARE BASICS
    Don’t be too eager to apply proofide all the time, a quick wipe over prior to a wet ride will be more than enough
    Brooks saddle covers are not overly expensive, look far better than a Tesco bag (not sure if they do a better job) and fold up small enough to take on most rides

oldgit
    Free Member

Brooks saddle covers are not overly expensive, look far better than a Tesco bag (not sure if they do a better job) and fold up small enough to take on most rides

I assumed that was for storage or transportation, not for actually riding with?

ruscle
    Free Member

+1 for using sno seal, really waterproof’s it, 1000 times better than proofide.

mav12
    Free Member

+1 for using sno seal, really waterproof’s it, 1000 times better than proofide

were do you get it seems to be american

druidh
    Free Member

Try outdoors shops. I got mine for waterproofing walking boots.

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s looking a bit better, still feel a bit suckered though.

Had trouble locating Sno-Seal as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘My Brooks looks cream crackered!’ is closed to new replies.