Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • My Blur’s pivots are “popping and creaking”
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

My fairly new Blur LT2 has developed a continuous creak when applying any force through the drive chain, but I’m sure the noise is coming from the pivots and linkages, rather than the BB or somewhere else.

The lower pivot has been very well greased with the supplied gun, but should I be looking to lube up the upper pivots around the carbon linkage and shock? I’m sure I saw a set of instructions from Santa Cruz once, but I think they were for the old Blur.

What type or brand of grease should I be using?

thanks

sq225917
    Free Member

Check stem, seatpost, pedals and BB.. seatpost noise almost alwasy sounds like soemthing much lower down.

Rule them out before you start wasting time on the pivots.

BLUR LT owner.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Just had the same problem, which became a knock, on my BLT2. Turned out to be the eyelet bushing on the bottom of the shock where it picks up the suspension had worn. You could feel it with your fingers if you move the suspension. LBS has fixed it under warrenty. The bushing is a standard size so no problem getting anywhere to fix it if your nearest SC dealer is too far away, but obviously will cost

retro83
    Free Member

maybe you could remove the shock, and cycle the suspension fully and see if the bearings seem ok then. I was convinced my bearings were creaking on my bike, turned out to be a pedal axle bolt not being tight.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks – definitely not seatpost, the noise still happens when I ride out of the saddle.

One of my previous bikes was an old Spesh Enduro, went through bushes at a hell of a rate, but at least it was always easy to know when they had worn and also easy to replace. Maybe I should have kept the bushing remove tool from BETD if the LT has the same arrangments?

At the moment I cant feel any movement

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

ps – anyone know what the warranty situation is with Santa Cruz? The bottom bracket went after about 2 months and Mud Dock werent interested in sorting out a new one under warranty

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Just had to have my BB replaced a couple of months ago – LBS reckon 6 months for a Truvative BB is about what you would expect.

ON the warranty, reckon its down to the LBS and how much they want to push Jungle. Mine has been brilliant

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

mmm, Mud Dock not so good in that case, but did sell me a replacement for half price.

OK, slightly embarrassing end to this thread, turns out my quick release was a little loose. That creaking was a useful warning before something more serious went wrong. Just proves it is worth checking out all other causes before dismantling bearing etc (and to think for a second before posting notes for help!)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘My Blur’s pivots are “popping and creaking”’ is closed to new replies.