Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • my back hurts – do i need a sus seat post? or MTFU?
  • porter_jamie

My aging back is playing up.
    just pedalling around locally (it’s essex so it is flat and smooth) is fine. If i go anywhere interesting it can really hurt at the base of my back after a few hours.
    it’s a 456. i changed from 2.25 tyres and a gobi saddle to 2.35’s and an SDG Belair, and this helped a lot.
    I would still like a smoother ride, so either i find a less stiff hardtail frame, or i look at a carbon seat post or even a thudbuster or similar, or maybe look at a full sus.
    Heckler looks good value.

Jamie
    Free Member

Improving your core strength should help.

jeb

Try a shorter stem, rise, some comfy grips, -i grown addicted to theese, not pretty, but darn comfy:

http://www.bbbparts.com/grips_bhg42.php

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Is the bike or are the components the right size and geometry for you gromit?

porter_jamie

frame 18″, bars 660mm 40mm rise, stem 90mm, cranks 175mm
    me 5’10.5″, inside leg 31

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

If you have a history of back trouble, why take the chance. “MTFU” ought to be banned on here. Miss AD has back issues and only ever ride full suss now. Good luck.

ctk
    Free Member

FS solved the exact same problem for me.

brooess
    Free Member

+1 for improving your core strength.
    Go see a physio. As you age flexibility falls too
    You’ll find core strength improves your riding loads too

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

See when I get to anything remotely rough on my bike I’m standing up. Saves on shocks going directly through my spine. I suggest you try the same.

Northwind

MTFU in the face of pain on the bike is stupid. Have you considered it might be a posture/bike fit issue?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Try fore-aft and tilt adjust on the saddle before anything else. Small changes here can make all the difference. For me, if the saddle is just a smidge too far back and/or tilted back, then I get lower back pain after a short time, just a 1/2 inch or 1 inch further forwards and a few degrees less tilt…no problems at all. As always YMMV…and as already mentioned, core strength will only help here.

69er
    Free Member

Core strength at your age. I’m old, I should know 😉

Also try yoga, great for your core and as important, flexibilty.

Shackleton

What Rusty said and maybe a shorter stem. Worked for me on my 456. Although if you get a shorter stem it may get twitchy without wider bars but it depends on how you like it. On choppy stuff I found that relaxing helped, as did moving about on the saddle more (or even standing up more) as sitting still while climbing/pedaling led to all of the changes in body weight and balance coming from my lower back leading to strain. Improving core strength would definitely help but I never found a way of doing it that didn’t hurt my back!

Moving heavier stuff from my backpack to a saddlebag helped too.

I also found that if it is cold then keeping my lower back warm helped a lot. Either bibs, a good drop seat thermal, high waited shorts or a scarf wrapped around!

And if anyone says MTFU about it feel free to beat them liberally while repeating it back to them.

porter_jamie

core strength – i suppose this can only help.
    physio – not a bad idea, i have been recommended one.
    bike fit – i have tried tweaking saddle, and stem length and height with some sucess, but it hasnt really stopped the pain coming eventually.
    standing up – obviously this helps. if it is really rough after a while my legs get tired so my butt takes more of a pounding (ahem) which is where the sus seat post or full sus might come in handy.

bagpuss
    Free Member

ALl good points above but if you want to try a Thudbuster then I’ve got one in the garage, LT version, good condition. Was on MRs BP’s HT and she’s now on FS. Mail in profile.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Higher bars works for me. More natural curves in your back. Bars at least as high as the seat

OCB
    Free Member

Only echoing really here, but I’d try fine tuning fit / posture first – I’m always amazed at how small a change can impact on how comfortable a bike is (or otherwise).

You’ll never again have a bicycle that is ‘on trend’ tho’ … 😉
    You’ll almost certainly end up with all sorts of odd sizes / lengths of things.

Bars with a bit of sweep might be worth a go?
    I’m a big fan of H-bars, but they are not for everyone.

schmiken

Tried regular stretching?

robkhoo
    Free Member

I find that the best thing I can do to stop my back hurting on longer rides is to stretch my hamstrings every half an hour or so. I’ve never found that riding full sus makes a lot of difference for me tbh.

porter_jamie

good point about stretching – i do try and remember to do this. i must bake it into my routine.

fasthaggis

Agree with the getting position sorted out(while working on the core strength)it has really helped me on big days.
    As Rusty said,I also found the fore and aft adjustment could make a real difference with what seemed a tiny movement.
    I did the TR in the summer on a hardtail (people said I would die ),so I went through a panic and bought a USE shokpost.It worked fine for me and mainley helped at the end of the day when it would keep away trailbuzz and the odd big hit when I was tired,but the main thing was that the fit felt perfect. I grabbed the sons full suss today to go on our club Xmas lunch run over the hills.Daft really as there was so much snow we were pushing for half of it,so I could have taken my SS.Because I did a quick setup this morning (I was late)
    I can now feel it in my back a bit 🙄

13thfloormonk

I had back problems in my early twenties, its not just age!

But just to repeat the above, sit ups (using a pilates ball) and lots of hamstring stretches solved it, and I was quite quickly riding stiff aluminium road bikes in comfort.

ratadog

Had a slipped disk a couple of years ago, and a 456, and the answer for me was – most of the above.

Increased core strength came courtesy of the physios, made the best of my bike position by altering stem and adding ergon grips, and did invest in a thudbuster. 29er doesn’t have the latter but tends to get used on less gnarly rides.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“if it is really rough after a while my legs get tired so my butt takes more of a pounding”

This sounds like a possible cause of your problems. Flat pedally but rough terrain is a nuisance. A light FS should help because you can sit and pedal comfortably 🙂

ken_shields
    Free Member

Try a Ti seatpost as well for a bit more springy ride

scaredypants

I’ve a sore back tonight – haven’t biked much lately but done more core exercise than I have for ages

today 14 miles in the snow, SS (bit too high a gear, given the snow). I think it was the low-speed grinding that buggered me up

(thudbusters are lovely though)

coogan
    Free Member

I get a pain in my lower back on the bike. Turns out I have super duper tight hamstrings that pull at my lower back. Physio I use gives them a battering every now and then and thats sorted it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘my back hurts – do i need a sus seat post? or MTFU?’ is closed to new replies.