Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My Airnimal Chameleon
  • Karinofnine

I posted the other week that I was going to sell my Airnimal. Three of you very kindly got in touch with me to ask for details.

I just can't bring myself to sell it (even though I need the money and the space). I get very attached to my bikes, they take on a personality and a sort of 'life' – becoming more than the sum of a few tubes, other pieces of metal and some petro-chemical products. Every time I look at The Bee (see? they even have names!) – I feel very sad at the thought of losing her.

Probably sounds a bit wierd and in fact the men in white coats are coming up the drive now…

Sorry to have wasted your time.

matt_outandabout

riiiiiight.

trail_rat
    Free Member

baws if id seen it id have probably snapped your right arm off 🙂

i think my quest for the perfect folder has stopped at airnimal – cant decide between joey or chameleon though 🙁 want drops and hub gears so im on a custom build alfine chameleon me thinks ….

Karinofnine

Hub gears? That sounds like a good idea, but make sure it will still fold. The forks go right next to the smallest cog on the freewheel. In that position the front brake slips over the back wheel and helps to keep the bike folded. I have noticed that the derailleur scrapes the fork slightly on folding, so that is an issue you will not have.

There are two on ebay right now – 1 day 7 hours to go, one's at £500 and other at £550 – search on Airnimal Chameleon – I hope it's not against forum rules to say that!

slugwash
    Free Member

Hub gears? That sounds like a good idea, but make sure it will still fold

the derailleur scrapes the fork slightly on folding, so that is an issue you will not have.

The hub geared Joey needs a derailleur as well to act as a chain tensioner that'll tension the spare chain needed to allow the bike to fold. I tried changing it for a small chain tensioner but the bike would'nt fold without removing the chain from the chainring – very messy with a length of chain slapping around the folded up bike. The derailleur doesn't scrape the fork on my Joey. Dunno if it's the same with the Chameleon though. HTH

Karinofnine

They do a fixie – doesn't look as if it's got a chain tensioner.

rOcKeTdOg

Karin, i know how you feel re bikes and selling them on, need to shift 2 frames to make room for another, we should start a support group

slugwash
    Free Member

They do a fixie – doesn't look as if it's got a chain tensioner

After a spot of light Googling I can conclude that the Joey and Chameleon appear to have different frames. On the Chameleon the fold is higher up so the chainset folds as well. On the Joey the chainset does not fold with the rear of the bike and during the folding process (doffs psuedotechnical cap) the extra chain is needed to allow the arc of fold travel to take place.

Looks like trail_rat's custom build Alfined Airnimal will not necessarily need a chain tensioner. Looking forwards to seeing some photos of it when it's built 🙂

Karinofnine

rOcKeTdOg – thank you for sharing 🙂

slugwash – yes, they do have different frames.

Looking forward to some images of the finished project – I bet the guys and gal at Airnimal would be interested too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good info guys : ill bear that in mind. Im not building it till i get back from africa 🙁 untill i go in 4 weeks i have 32 miles each way to ride . Least ill be fit when i go so 6 weeks of no riding wont destroy me !

need a silly size ring too want a 110 or 120' gearing as oppose 84 that comes standard …. My fixed is 88 for general riding so id run out wayyyy too early on 84

woffle
    Free Member

i think my quest for the perfect folder has stopped at airnimal – cant decide between joey or chameleon though want drops and hub gears so ….

what – like this? 🙂

It's had new skinny rimmed 520 wheels, bigger front ring and various bits since the pic was taken.

(ok, well strictly speaking they're drop extensions but they do the job).

Karinofnine

Ok, an excuse to post a picture of my Chameleon…

and, while I'm at it, the Orange

trail_rat
    Free Member

Those although ugly as sin could work but leave me with no brakes on the drops nor hoods and the reason i want drops is to go on the club group rides straight afterwork …. At the back or front ….not sitting in on a twitcher 😉

Next question anyone got an airnimal chameleon or joey in scotland i could come down for a ride with and a shotty of the airnimal on a stetch of road somewhere ….lotta dosh to drop on something i cant ride first – no dealers in scotland 🙁

woffle
    Free Member

Those although ugly as sin could work but leave me with no brakes on the drops nor hoods and the reason

The whole 'rohloff shifters on drops' question has been done to death – there are solutions but you're not going to get sti-versions. Brake-wise – I could fit road brakes or canti's, I was considering doing that with those through-cabled to a 2nd set of levers on the bars too. Haven't gotten round to giving it a serious look yet though.

It's currently setup with HS33's for easy maintenance – I'm always keeping an eye out for a set of the old Magura road hydraulic levers (since discontinued) but unless you get lucky they go for silly money on fleabay.

I'm in the South-east so no good on the test ride I'm afraid though you'd be more than welcome should you ever be down this neck of the woods.

Karinofnine

You might think about giving Airnimal a ring – they're just north of Cambridge. Still too far, I realise, for you to 'pop' down for a ride, but they just might know someone who would let you have a go, or they might be up that way themselves – you never know.

BTW there is an Airnimal Owners' gathering 14-15 August (but that will also be in the Cambridge area). I'm going to Big Dog that weekend. Why do things always happen on the same day?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My Airnimal Chameleon’ is closed to new replies.