Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • My 1st Puffer (and not necessarily the last!) Long soz!
  • devs
    Free Member

It seems like a long time ago that me and one of the Moray Minx girls made a pact to do the Puffer on a club night out. She was already enlisted so I think she was just looking to stitch someone else up. Anyways, when I asked for team members or a partner there were none forthcoming so I decided it would have to be solo. This is a massive undertaking for me as I’m a relative newbie to mountain biking having only taken it up since retiring from rugby and the only event I have ever taken part in is a couple of laps of the 10 More in Moray as part of a quad. The morning the places went on sale I logged in 40 mins after the website opened and ……sold out! Ah well. I tried. Shame. I’ll just have to enjoy the festive season with lots of food and beer then. But wait, on the 27th of December I’m out having an all you can eat Chinese because I’m sick of turkey and an email arrives. Someone has fallen out and would you like their place? Bummer, training starts tomorrow then. At least it would if there wasn’t so much snow around. I made do with local runs in the snow but after thinking that it was pretty hopeless I decided that I would still do the event but just enjoy it rather than take it seriously, not that someone aged 44 and as heavy as me could really compete anyway. It would have to be a battle not to be last and not to look a numpty. Thanks to my lurcher nagging me and some of the club members pushing me I managed to get a few longer rides in in the last 2 weeks, some on completely suicidal sheet ice in the hills. Oh how useful that practice would turn out to be!
    I got 2 of my drinking buddies to volunteer to be pit bitches. Luckily one of them is quite a skilled mechanic and owns a 4WD Bongo camper with winter tyres on. Winner!
    I gave myself most of the Friday off so we were able to arrive just after 2pm and get a good pitch on the fireroad with enough room for 2 tesnts, one big one as workshop and changing area and one as my bed. The pit bitches had the campervan and all of its nice thermostated heaters. They did offer to swap but I figured a nice warm bed would be too much of an incentive to fail. Friday night the Moray Minx girls’ crew made us chilli and rather naughtily I had a few ciders, just to help me sleep on the sheet ice bed that I had you understand. I got woken by the wind (big concern as tents were only held down by rocks and kit, the icy and rocky road was too much for our tent pegs which all bent) and quite a few people who couldn’t get there early and then had to drive up and down looking for somewhere to camp. I was warm enough on an inflatable bed, sleeping bag and quilt with all my clothes still on. I got about 6 hours kip.
    I had rice pudding, bacon roll and banana for breakfast, the pit bitches were briefed to get gels, isotonic water, nuts and banana down me every time they saw me and to carry spares for chains, pads and tyres down to transition. I had hoped to ride my tubeless HRs and left it to the last minute before deciding to swap to snow studs as the rain had failed to melt the ice. I had also taken a SS but the ice ruled that out too, at least in my head. If anyone is ever thinking of buying Schwalbe Snow Studs forget it. They are pish. They might grip as you corner but you get no traction on the sheet ice as found at the top of the course. Proper ice spikers with studs on the centre line are the way ahead. I am really glad I chose flats and 5:10s as the ice was horrendous. For the 1st 6 laps there was absolutely nowhere to relax, coast and zone out. It was 100pc concentration or you were on your arse. This was probably the worst bit, you don’t expect to have to focus that hard for that long, even on the fire road climbs. I did a lap or 2, had a brew and a chat, got fettled and went out again. I was watching the insane youngsters do laps in 34 mins and feeling totally inadequate to the point where I would start racing people when I was out. I watched lycra clad lightweights dismount and walk on the steeper climbs and took huge delight in powering up past them. Both mistakes. You have to go at your own (slow) pace and walking the steep climbs is actually a good way to save the legs for later. Shame it took me 8 laps to realise as I found myself in granny where previously I had been middle and middle.
    I figured that if I did 8 laps I wouldn’t be last and I’d done them by 11pm so I treat myself to curry and chips and a few hours kip. I figured 12 laps would be attainable. I was out again at 5am. Lap 9 was nice, the Hope 4 and DX light fully charged again and the rice pudding sitting nicely in the gut with all that gel. Most of the ice had gone. Lap 10 was the worst biking I had ever done. I had refused gels and food as I felt ok but by the time I got near the top I had nothing in the legs. I was walking some, pushing some on relatively easy stretches. By the time I hit the Bridge of Thighs I was feeling sick and thought I was about to faint. I threw the bike down and got loads of emergency haribos down my nexk along with an ancient twix that I found in my pack. I can’t really remember the rest of the lap except the last descent as dawn was breaking and it was gorgeous. Lap 11 was fine, I’m going to get 12 in after all I thought but after a slow puncture which I stopped for 4 times before finally swapping the tube, which then pinched probably wasting me 30 mins in all, I was left with 1hr 5 to get my last lap in. It wasn’t going to happen so I gave the nice lady my dibber. I survived and finished in the top half. Result! Apart from the punctures I snapped a fancy KMC gold chain which I’m a bit annoyed at as it was new and supposed to be stronger than the others that I keep snapping and only 2 sets of pads. I’ve written this because I think there are tips in there for anyone else thinking of doing it but also to document that when I do it again I can take it a bit more seriously and I think I’ve got 14 laps in these here legs. I loved the whole experience. The whole thing was fun from start to finish so if you are teetering over whether to do it at all just sign up. It was great, particularly the support from the crowds and marshals.

Descending in my sleep!

Spaced out after 7-8 laps.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great result Devs. We spoke to you and your bitches at the startline. I have uber respect for everyone that we saw racing.

sharki
    Free Member

Lovely write up mate.

Saw you up top on your last lap i think.
    Pointed out your flat tyre, you were certainly zoned out then.

Very well done, i’d of struggled in doing that well.

Nice pics BTW 😉

epicyclo

Excellent first effort for a young fellow 🙂

It will get better.

There’s the UK 24 Hour Solo coming up in May. Great race, you’d love it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

epicyclo – were you the older gentleman with a beard riding single speed with semi dropped bars?

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Well done! Not it’s under your skin and probably about now you will be thinking ‘Never again!’ as the sleep depravation and aches all kick in. In about a months time you will be thinking ‘Can’t wait for the next puffer’!

I have done them all including the Puffer lites, with the exception of the very first one.

Welcome to the club!

devs
    Free Member

Oh aye, thanks to the inspirational Sharki for the pics which I nicked off his facebook!

epicyclo

mcmoonter – Member
    epicyclo – were you the older gentleman…

Definitely older, not sure about the gentleman bit though 🙂

soulrider
    Free Member

Nice one Devs, Congratulations

just to make it a different event next year go SS!

shortcut

Very confused. You really don’t look like a mind girl; although the text seems to infer it!

devs
    Free Member

Sorry shortcut, I can see what you are saying. The Moray Minx girls are friends and fellow club members of the Moray MBC! I’m not girly or Minxy enough to be their gang. Or fast and fit enough come to think of it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Great stuff – I did it last year and said never again. This year I was following the live timing and at times wishing I was out there, at times glad I wasn’t!

Nice write up. It really is something special

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Nice review Devs…

Sharki, any chance of getting a link to your pics, are they pics of randoms or just people you knew? Looking to see if anyone caught some of myself, plenty of people taking pics but all I can find thus far is the exposure scotland stuff. rightplacerighttime images should be uploaded tomorrow

dave_aber
    Free Member

Good effort Devilman. Glad I was free to help out. I’ll post up my pics when I get home – forgot to do that yesterday, soz.

The good (or bad?) news is that I’m off the same weekend next year too….

devs
    Free Member

Ah Pit Bitch 1 you’re back offshore safely then! I should have said that a pit crew with good facilities, a sense of humour and who get on well is essential too. I couldn’t have done it without the pair of you. Spies tell me that you may have been seen swigging cans of beer and dancing to the band whilst I was out suffering. Fair play. If you and the van are available next year then I’ve got no excuse not to, save maybe that annual distraction in Saalbach which wrecks my kidneys.

sharki
    Free Member

CrombieCraig.

I’ve only put a few of the better pics up on my FB, people i knew and randoms
    I might put them on flickr at some point.

What was your race number,bike and usual rider attire?
    I’ll have a look through. I didn’t manage many good pics, only the ones disguised but a little trick photography. 😕 like the ghosting pics.

You could check on here http://www.flickr.com/photos/46667515@N08/sets/72157625709759007/with/5360123230/

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Race number was 117, riding an Orange Evo 8 (white) with Magura durin race forks (red sock). Started off in a blue jacket and finished up in a red, black trousers. Probably the most common colours unfortunately!

http://www.exposurescotland.co.uk/details.php?gid=77&sgid=&pid=3597

Thanks for having a look!

sharki
    Free Member

Sorry bud.
    Nothing meeting those descriptions and resembling you in that ES pic.

Did you where an orange camelback at any stage?

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Not guilty. Hopefully there will be a few posted up over the coming week.

Thanks again

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

CrombieCraig,

I got you

rightplacertighttime

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘My 1st Puffer (and not necessarily the last!) Long soz!’ is closed to new replies.