Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Music you wished you'd discovered earlier
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Jezabels.

I’d heard of them, but not heard anything by them until one of last week’s Midweek Movies on STW. I’ve heard a few tracks on Spotify now and I think they are ACE! Just my cup of tea.

ton

alabama3.

wwaswas

Bare Naked Ladies

Saw them at Glastonbury in the early 90’s but never really listened to their albums.

noteeth
    Free Member

John Fahey.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ray LaMontagne, discovered late in life but wished he’d been around way earlier..

CountZero

Arcade Fire. If I’d found them earlier, I would have seen them play Bristol. And I missed them! Other than that, I can’t really think of anyone else specifically; listening to 6Music, and reading mags like Uncut and The Word, (now defunct), with their great review sections and free sample CD’s, I get to find lots of interesting stuff fairly early on.
    Watching the Folk Awards on telly at the mo’ has given me a bunch of newcomers to look out for as well. There’s really too much out there, though, something will always pass you by, there’s always gonna be stuff that has you thinking: “damnation, how could I have missed something that good, for so long!”
    😀

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Slayer, I discovered ‘Reign in Blood’ 3 years after it came out….3 years of Slayer I’ve missed out on and can never get back.

dancingfool
    Free Member

Gogol Bordello.
    A week earlyer i turned down tickets to see them

weeksy

Jazz FM”

It’s not often music i don’t know, but it is my kind of smooth easy listening.

cheese@4p

Psychedelia as in “A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind”
    Its mind expanding stuff

cynic-al
    Free Member

Level 42

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ray Charles

JCL
    Free Member

Aqua

binners

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZilu4ApCI0[/video]

makeitorange
    Free Member

AC DC – I jumped on the itunes release bandwagon last year! (To be fair most of their stuff was released before I was born so I have an excuse!)

mashiehood
    Free Member

Jazzy Jeff!

xcgb
    Free Member

Blue Cheer!

slinkybike
    Free Member

Led zeppelin, spent the nineties wearing phat pants and dancing, djing most nights of the week

Took beers and lots of time working on bikes with a ferind who was a fan to turn me, always assumed it was dad rock to that point.

johndoh
    Free Member

Black Sabbath

Always ‘sort of’ liked them but the last few years has been a revelation – the more I listen to them the more I realise what a great band they really are.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I discovered Gansta Rapp in my 30s, the Old School stuff is great. Recently, Led Zep and Sabbath, always liked rocky stuff but these are the real greats.

freddyg
    Free Member

Nick Drake. How did I ever miss him? 🙁

Hobster
    Free Member

The Afghan Whigs and Black Sabbath

ski
    Free Member

Rolling Stones

Only started to listen to to them last year, now topping my playlist charts on my mp3 player.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Elliott Smith. Only listened after he died. Some great stuff.

vorlich
    Free Member

Well done Kimbers.

The only time I was ever asked by a punter what was playing when I worked in Threshers years ago it was Revolution Blues.

banks
    Free Member

+ Elliott Smith – only heard miss misery & thought it was a bit naff..

The Chameleons, Orange Juice & Talking Heads

DezB
    Free Member

Krautrock. (Can, Neu!, Faust etc)
    Just because I’ll never go back and listen to it now, so I’ll never know what gems I’ve missed.

chipps

Muse took me ages to discover, despite playing the sort of over the top, squeally guitar with Queen-like theatrics that I quite like.

Duffer
    Free Member

Muse took me ages to discover, despite playing the sort of over the top, squeally guitar with Queen-like theatrics that I quite like.

Ironically, I’m glad i discovered Muse in the early days; i much prefer their early stuff, before they started doing their Stadium Rock stuff….

fathomer

Duffer – Member
    Ironically, I’m glad i discovered Muse in the early days; i much prefer their early stuff, before they started doing their Stadium Rock stuff….

Couldn’t agree more.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Springsteen. Used to think it was all tub thumping stars and stripes bluster, then I actually listened to the lyrics properly. Not my absolute favourite but certainly the biggest turnaround in opinion. The 19 year old me really would not have understood.

adstick
    Free Member

Two that I’d heard about for years but didn’t discover till more recently – Neil Young and Big Star.

As for music the younger me wouldn’t have understood – Country music

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more.

Nor me.

I was one of those irritatingly proud youngsters because I was into Muse before anyone else I knew. Saw them a couple of times and reckon the gig at the Manchester Apollo was the best gig I’ve ever been to. Then they started playing “spot the influences” on their albums; Queen I could cope with, but Abba took the biscuit. Now I barely listen to them.

Tricone
    Free Member

Noteeth…… John Fahey is an utter musical genius!! He is not a new discovery for me though having known about him since the 1970s.

For me it is Mississippi Hill Country Blues – Robert Belfour, Junior Kimborough, R L Burnside, Jesse Mae Hemphill, etc. How did i miss most of these for so long?

adstick
    Free Member

I missed a Cedric Burnside gig by two days when I was in Mississippi. Gutted.

John Fahey is one of my favourite artists ever, luckily I discovered him at just the right time. I still spend a lot of time learning his songs on my guitar.

oomidamon

The Black Keys – got into them fairly recently but would loved to have seen them at a smaller venue.

Tricone
    Free Member

The Black Keys are totally indebted to Mississippi Hill country blues (their early best stuff especially). So much so that they did a whole album dedicated to only Junior Kimbrough covers – Chulahoma. Awesome stuff – almost as good as the originals.

adstick – I too have tried to play John Fahey pieces for many years. Impossible to get that melancholy otherworldly atmosphere and timing though I have found (fun to try however). In fact sadly I am trying to be a Fahey clone so much that I have a weissenborn guitar on order!

mikemorini
    Free Member

Radio Head
    I had encounters with them when they were in their first incarnations (along time ago now) and thought they were a bunch of talent less posh boys who didn’t need to work for a living.
    Oh how wrong I was.

mikemorini
    Free Member

I need to brush up on my English as well, by the looks of the above post.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Music you wished you'd discovered earlier’ is closed to new replies.