Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Muscle recovery and supplements
  • organic355
    Free Member

Further to my “weightlifting routine” thread, I am now sore as buggery after a workout and 5K run on Sunday. Tried to do some sit ups this morning on the bench and couldnt manage even 1.

So how do you speed up muscle recovery, is it protein protien protien? Anyone take CREATINE, and are thre any side effects?

Also am I being unrealistic in my training/fitness regime?:

Monday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), 1 hour of badminton at night
    Tuesday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), 5k run, punchbag workout, weights & sit ups
    Wednesday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), 1.5 hours of Karate varying levels)
    Thursday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), 5k run, punchbag workout, weights & sit ups
    Friday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), Rest + beer 😀
    Saturday: 2-3 hours of karate + sparring.
    Sunday: rest, maybe 5k run, maybe bike ride

creamegg
    Free Member

milk

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

snake oil

davidjones15
    Free Member

MTFU.

BigJohn

sore as buggery

Donor or recipient?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve tried skimmed milk, choc milk, whey protein shakes and cherry active concentrate. IME choc milk / skimmed milk / cherry active concentrate are much more effective (for me) than whey protein shakes. If you don’t want to take supplements, make sure you’ve a decent amount of protein in your diet and refuel within the 15min window.

Compression tights make a huge difference to DOMs as well.

I’ve read – but it might be guff – that eating protein before a weights session helps stop muscle being broken down so much.

You do also need to rest otherwise muscles won’t get a chance to repair themselves. Haven’t tried creatine, but iirc you should use it in 6 week cycles and around more explosive/dymanic exercises ie for 6 weeks of concentrating on sprinting. Personally i’d steer clear.

CaptJon
    Free Member

More rest.

simonm
    Free Member

milk

surfer
    Free Member

I wouldnt worry about supplements it will just take a little time for your body to adapt.

Its not an overly ambitous program and given much of it is riding and non impact I dont see any of it as an issue although the Karate etc may make you a bit sore if you are getting thumped!

I would just get on with it, eat and drink fluid sensibly etc.

DOMs is only an issue in the very early stages I wouldnt worry about buying kit/supplements for something that should go away after a short while.

BoardinBob

CNP recovery drink after every workout. 1 part protein to 4 part carbs. Works wonders for me.

hmanchester
    Free Member

There is a certain aspect of adaption when doing any new type of exercise. Your body is aching because you have introduced it weight training and it hasn’t adapted to it. If you were happy with the volume of your training before adding the weights then I would stick it out and see how it improves in the following weeks. The DOMs should go down dramtically.

As to nutrition, you should have protein, good fats and carbs post workout. Full fat milk (all other milk is marketing guff in my opinion!) has an excellent nutritional profile is should be a staple. Your body needs to recover and you need to fuel that. How much you eat is up to you and what your aims are, but that’s a whole other topic.

Creatine is a useful supplement for strenth/speed athletes. It allows for slightly better muscular endurance and recovery, eg the ability to get one or two more reps in. There have been hundreds of studies done on it and it does have a positive, if not profound effect. The main side effect for cycling would be that it causes the muscles to retain more water, hence weight. Some people don’t see this as a side effect as it can make muscles look slightly more bulky and good for the mirror….

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Are you stretching properly?

AndyP
    Free Member

snake oil tablets or shakes TJ?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Also am I being unrealistic in my training/fitness regime?:

No, you could do more. You could do it faster. You could go bigger.

Getting fit is a bitch, just get on with it.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I never stretch but am only 20. Dont get problems like cramp pretty much ever. First one the other night in about a year and thats because i did a massive increase in exercise one day followed by no real warm down of any sorts…not evne walking.

When im doing a huge quantity of exercise including weight lifting i drink atlest 4 pints of whole milk a day, eat steak for breakfast, take cod liver oil in the morning and evening and generally just consume vast quantities of fat and protein.

Im not saying it will work for you necessarily (I dont put on fat easily) but do your research. Then work out what works for you. We aren’t all the same. Ive used protein powders and tried a little creatine and found neither had much effect. Whole milk does a better job than protein powder ime. Creatine sort of worked but i was a bit skeptical of various supposed side effects and just couldnt be bothered with the commitment to doing it eveyr day.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

didnt read hmanchesters response before i posted but i tihnk hes hit the nail on the head!

hmanchester
    Free Member

One question for Organic355, what is the aim of your exercise regime?

Are you looking to increase cycling fitness, running fitness, training for a particular event (triathlon, marathon, etc), lose fat, gain muscle, the joy of exercise itself, or a bit of everything?

organic355
    Free Member

One question for Organic355, what is the aim of your exercise regime?

a bit of everything really, lose a bit of weight 5-6 lbs (initially), tone up, increase strength/power and speed for both karate and biking, also increase aerobic fitness & endurance for biking/running/sparring.

BadlyWiredDog

Anyone take CREATINE, and are thre any side effects?

I used it for a bit ages ago, like ten years back, when I was climbing more and trying to get some power back after a long, injury-induced lay off. Awful stuff, effective for short, sharp, explosive movement, no impact on endurance ime. For me it gave lots of fluid retention and caused cramps in my calves when running and/or cycling. I wouldn’t touch it unless you’re some sort of narcissistic, body-building, ‘look at me’ cretin.

molgrips
    Free Member

The first one will hurt a lot, the second less so.

Give it six months then start thinking about supplements. And don’t take creatine, it’s for show-offs and power lifters (probably).

organic355
    Free Member

what about protein shakes are they just as bad?

langylad
    Free Member

Creatine is regularly taken by top rugby players, footballers etc, there is nothing dangerous about it but i would agree with above comments that it is probably more useful for explosive activities. As I have got older (ahem, 44), I have found I struggle to recover energy levels as quickly as I used to after a ride. My wife works for a health food company and brought some glutamine powder home and this did seem to help in this respect. (Before anyone starts talking about placebos I get to try a lot of my wife’s products, and many of them don’t seem to affect me in any way). Energy levels did seem to come back a little quicker.

surfer
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of any supplements unless you have exhausted all the traditional methods which for a runner would be pushing 70 – 80 miles a week, although that is only my opinion.
    Performance comes largely from preperation and effort. supplements add maybe a few % but many people spend a diproportinate amount of time, money and effort here when they should be training (not aimed at the OP BTW)

Dave Moorcroft claimed Creatine helped him run 4:02 as a 40 year old.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m no expert but…

From experience and what I’ve read I would suggest you’re suffering from progressive overload, you’d be better off increasing the ride and run distance and building in a whole day or two of complete rest, maybe even just stretching or self massage on those days. The distances you’re riding and running aren’t that great, it’s the frequency. Muscles get stronger and repair during rest days, a healthy diet and plenty of water should be enough.

Check out Torq’s articles in STW and John Metcalfe’s book MT Fitness Training.

Kryton57

Creatine isn’t dangerous, can help you get the extra explosive left etc, and buying the proper stuff isn’t necessarily expensive.

Protien and creatine are found as natural products in food (creatine) is highest in meat & fish) – supplements are just that, an arguably cheaper / more convienient way to get bigger volumes into your system.

The one thing I’d say about your regime is you need a day at least, possibly two of complete rest. Muscle is built by “tearing and repairing”. If you don’t give it time to repair you won’t see the results you want, you’ll get tired, bored and prone to illness as your ummune system wears down aka overtraining.

hmanchester
    Free Member

As a narcissitic, body-building, ‘look at me’ cretin and show off I do use creatine myself.

It’s primary use is in explosive movements and muscle recovery, but that doesn’t mean it should only be used by weightlifters and sprinters. For example it’s a commonly used supplement in team games where speed and sprint recovery is balanced along with endurance such as football and rugby.

Creatine is a naturally occuring substance that is found in red meat and is already present in our muscles. If you eat bacon or steak you already take creatine! It’s simply been found that our muscles can utilise more creatine than is naturally found in our diet and so taking extra in pure form can have a beneficial effect.

As to protein shakes:

Ideally you will be able to get all your nutrition from whole foods, eg meat, milk, eggs, fruit, veg, root veg, etc.

Protein shakes are useful (and one that I use myself) because they provide a quick, cheap, and convenient way of ingesting a good balance of nutrients.

The best way to approach them is to get your ingredients seperately so you know exactly what you’re eating rather than the pre-mixed and expensive maximuslce type tubs. Go to myprotein.co.uk and get some unflavoured whey powder and ground oats and use a blender. The shake I tend to have is:

1 pt whole milk
    1 banana
    handful frozen berries
    2 scoops whey powder
    0-2 scoops oats (varied depending on exercise)

As for when I take creatine? I mix it in with the whey protein in the tub so two scoops of whey gives me 3-5g ish. Some days I have two scoops, some days 1, some days none. You’re supplementing the creatine you get in your natural diet anyway, it’s not about taking precisely 5g a day accurate to 0.00001g.

Edit: Krypton, you beat me to it. All meat eaters already take creatine!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

hmanchester – why do you take it? What are you trying to achieve? How are you getting along?

Kryton57

Also, L Glutamine is an excellent Supp for muscle repair and immunity system boost. V cheap too.

I use the same myprotien as vmanchester – you can get 3 -6 months supply for almost a tenner.

I tend to mix myprotien creapure + L Glut in a morning drink. This lasts me about 3-4 months:

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/creapure

Can find the L Glutamine, maybe they’ve stopped supplying it.

organic355
    Free Member

I like the sound of these homemade protien shakes, but what is whey powder?

rewski
    Free Member

I’d try rest first, it’s free.

flow
    Free Member

Monday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), 1 hour of badminton at night
    Tuesday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), 5k run, punchbag workout, weights & sit ups
    Wednesday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), 1.5 hours of Karate varying levels)
    Thursday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), 5k run, punchbag workout, weights & sit ups
    Friday: Cyle to/from work (8 miles total), Rest + beer
    Saturday: 2-3 hours of karate + sparring.
    Sunday: rest, maybe 5k run, maybe bike ride

If I were you I would be more worried about over training

hmanchester
    Free Member

Southern Yeti:

I take creatine for two main reasons:

1. I play hockey which like football involves lots of sprinting and recovery.

2. I weight train to help my hockey and because I like being strong and the way it makes me look. I take creatine to help me increase the volume of my training, and again recover in between.

I’ve never had any problems with creatine. When I take it I tend to be a kg or so heavier on the scales which is no major problem as I’m already over 90kg anyway. I notice the effect on the last rep or two when doing a few sets, the main thing for me is that my recovery seems to be better. Not much at all, but noticable. That’s the thing about creatine for me. It works. A bit. Not much, but for the effort of bunging some in your whey protein once every couple of months is worth it.

Flow: I think you may be right!

Organic: Whey is a constituent part of milk and can be sold in powder form that’s 80%+ protein. It mixes easily with water and milk and is essentially a food ingredient that is useful for getting protein into your diet quickly, cheaply and easily. The stuff I use is: http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/impact_whey_protein

langylad
    Free Member

A bit of blatant advertising but my missus works for healthrack.co.uk. They do all the supplements that the ‘mainstream’ health shops do, source them from the same manufacturers, but sell them a lot cheaper (she goes mad at the bogof offers H and B do…still extortionate).

They also stock the L glutamine 😀

Kryton57

More expensive than myprotien though langylad. 🙂

langylad
    Free Member

It’s not one of those Jersey mail order outfits is it? Quite difficult to compete with the no vat thing.

deviant
    Free Member

organic355…..your routine is insane.

Unless sport is your job and you are fortunate enough to train like this for a professional reason then i’d cut it back.

Pro athletes train like you do because they have nothing else to do, they are focused on getting enough sleep, a nutritionist puts together their diet, masseurs look after them post-training, sponsors take care of their finances….and some use performance enhancing drugs to aid the recovery process too (but thats for another thread).

Try one on and one off for training/rest….or train all week but clear the weekend out.

Eat a mixed diet…meat, fish, veg, fruit, quality carbs….plenty of water….i use cod liver oil for joints i wrecked with weight lifting as a younger man….creatine does not aid recovery, it is for explosive strength.
    Your body recovers and builds itself up away from the gym….rest and sleep….training stimulates new growth by causing micro damage….its time away from training that allows recovery, i can not emphasise this enough.

stever
    Free Member

You can’t tell anything much from the schedule – it’s a rest week for some people and an absolute beasting for others. It depends where you’re at. There’s a lot of good stuff in ‘food’, most people do pretty well of it. For most of us I think, supplements are a good way of getting rid of cash.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Pro athletes train like you do because they have nothing else to do, they are focused on getting enough sleep, a nutritionist puts together their diet, masseurs look after them post-training, sponsors take care of their finances….and some use performance enhancing drugs to aid the recovery process too (but thats for another thread).

Try one on and one off for training/rest….or train all week but clear the weekend out.

Eat a mixed diet…meat, fish, veg, fruit, quality carbs….plenty of water….i use cod liver oil for joints i wrecked with weight lifting as a younger man….creatine does not aid recovery, it is for explosive strength.
    Your body recovers and builds itself up away from the gym….rest and sleep….training stimulates new growth by causing micro damage….its time away from training that allows recovery, i can not emphasise this enough.

wow look at that! somebody has posted something informed and sensible on STW. are you sure you belong here?

molgrips
    Free Member

With exercise, more is not necessarily better. Doing 10 hours a week is not automatically better than doing 5, and it could be much worse.

I am getting to be faster than I’ve ever been I think, and I’m doing possibly 1-2 hours a week if that.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I am getting to be faster than I’ve ever been I think, and I’m doing possibly 1-2 hours a week if that.

the crucial question is were you doing more or less hrs per week (at the same intensity) before 1-2 hours made you faster “than i’ve ever been”?

if you were doing less then it’s hardly surprising, if you were doing more then people would be interested in the details of your 1-2 hrs as i for one would like to be faster than i have ever been without doing much riding.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Muscle recovery and supplements’ is closed to new replies.