Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Muscle knots?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

What’s the technical basis for a hard lump in a muscle that gets painful after exercise? What you’d typically call a knot, I suppose.

And what can be done about it besides poking it and making it hurt?

glupton1976
    Free Member

They are simply bits of muscle that are sticking together for whatever reason. Could also be scar tissue or a variety of other things.

What can you do to stop it hurting – strengthen the muscle that opposes the action of the muscle with the knot in it, or break down the adhesion by massage, dry needling or whatever other sort of voodoo you’re into.

molgrips
    Free Member

Gastrocnemius

TinMan
    Free Member

Google ‘trigger point’ and also ‘MSF using foam roller’
    Lots of good info out there.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been foam rollering. Sorted my knee pain really quickly (just did 7 miles with no pain!) but my calves have become sore again post exercise which they haven’t been for ages.

However I did just run a very long way for me, double my usual long run and lately I odn’t even do that very often.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Whereabouts in your calf? A lot of what appears to be gasctroc pain is actually coming from the smaller muscles that run either underneath or beside gastroc.

molgrips
    Free Member

So if you sliced my calf in two perpendicular to the bones, just through the widest part and looked at the cut-off lower leg part from the top, if if my foot was 12 o’clock it’d be about the 8 o’clock position.

Or, on that diagram, right where the SOLEUS label is pointing to.

thedon
    Free Member

Foam rollers are your friend mate, give one a try.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Poke it, stick some heat on it, take your choice of anti-inflammatory and see what it’s like in a day or two. Alternatively try some combinations of toe pointing and turning your ankle in or out (as if you’ve gone over on it)

numbnut
    Free Member

These are the business.
    You’ll find knots you never thought you had.

zilog6128

Stick looks interesting – is it really better than a foam roller though? Also my top tip after rolling/sticking – always stretch properly. Seems to massively increase the effectiveness for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Poke it, stick some heat on it, take your choice of anti-inflammatory and see what it’s like in a day or two. Alternatively try some combinations of toe pointing and turning your ankle in or out (as if you’ve gone over on it)

Good, those are the things I’ve already been doing 🙂

Took ibu, seems to have helped marginally, but it’s hard to know how well it’d have calmed down on its own.

Strangely enough it doesn’t hurt much when running.

Kryton57

A glass of Brandy and a visit from the Thai Massage lady who advertises in the local phonebook / phonebox will make you forget all about it.

Or, get a Sports massage. If you haven’t had one before, do not be under any illusion that they are relaxing, but it will help your issue.

[plug] Mrs K is available (for the Sports massage not the Thai massage) if you near North London / Essex / Herts [/plug]

glupton1976
    Free Member

Strangely enough it doesn’t hurt much when running.

That’s because it’s warm and slippery when you’re running. 😉

If we’re going for shameless plugs if anyone wants to pay me for sports massage in Edinburgh, I have qualifications in that.

ab1970
    Free Member

Rumble Roller. Works on my calves. Extra firm, natch…

deepo
    Free Member

Rolling pin, foam pipe insulation, bit o tape to hold it all together….ta da….ghetto foam roller/american stick*

*I am in no way medically trained and have no idea of the suitability of this but it works for me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Muscle knots?’ is closed to new replies.