Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Multicultural Britain
  • mogrim

I doubt this is an issue anywhere else where flying the national flag is seen as racists – or more accurately the folk flying it likely to be perceived as racist.

The Spanish don’t generally fly the flag, and those who do are almost exclusively right-wing voters – not racists, but definitely conservatives and probably practising catholic. It’s seen a bit of a renaissance recently, though, thanks to the football team’s success at international level. But it’s still mainly associated with nationalist/monarchist/catholic right-wingers.

gobuchul
    Free Member

If I hung my St.Georges outside, I’d probably be carted off to some jail for some time.

Not exactly an open, free, multicultural society.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have never lived in a Country that is so proud to be what they are.

Oppressed, unable to vote and with limited human rights?

It’s not in your face

those people are in jail or exile IIRC
    I think you may be seeing the surface veneer of compliance within a relatively totalitarian regime tbh
    It i snot a model i wish to copy.

Travis

I never said it was a good Country, I’m only here for the family.
    Yes it’s not open, and it’s definitely not free.
    But the people are still proud of their Country despite it’s failings (which they acknowledge beneath their breath)
    I feel, that looking at the UK and even now maybe Europe, that people are wanting to return (back to old days) of who they are.
    I am not saying it’s a good nor a bad thing, it’s just an observation from a British person, now looking in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You cannot return as the past is a foreign country; they do things differently there 😉

The problem is that times change and some people do not change with the times and they hold on to some sort of rose tinted halcyon view of a country that probably never existed and wont return

We wont become “british” again – they mean largely homogeneous and white I assume when they say it.

Travis

Maybe I should stop reading LeCarre books, but does the whole establishment agree?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Last week, I was in a place in China, where there such a mix of Middle Eastern people, it was hard to believe that could live in such harmonious synchrony. Normally they would be fighting at each others throats, but here, they get along peacefully.

So a bit like the UK then.

Travis

ernie.. I think the difference is, the promotion.
    Everything is Chinese.
    Now if you walk into an Turkish/Afghanistan/Libyan place and you wanted your own time, then you would be pointed upstairs to that place.
    No offence to the locals created, and very well tolerated.

Note… this is from a perspective from the outside.

Looking back at the UK, I hear that people feel their are encroached on.

It’s a perspective, not my point of view.

konabunny
    Free Member

Everything is Chinese? Good thing China is a monoculture where there’s only one ethnic group that only speaks one language so that there’s a single Chinese culture and no-one disagrees with what it constitutes.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Multicultural Britain’ is closed to new replies.