Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Multicar insurance – who has it?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Got my (dirty, lying, cheating – thought I’d get that in before the haterz!) Golf this time last year so needed to insure it. Shopped around and stuck it on an Admiral multicar policy along with our Kia Ceed.
    Both cars fully insured for £430 (ish – can’t remember exact amount off-hand).
    I was told at the time they make it attractive to get you onboard then pull your pants down on the renewal.
    I thought I don’t mind paying a bit more – still cheaper than 2 separate policies.
    Just had renewal….£950!!! WTF!?
    Wife had a minor bump 3 weeks ago that’s still being sorted – bit of wrangling between Admiral and the other insurer but sounds like it’ll be a 50/50 settlement. We’ve paid £160 excess to get car fixed which is happening right now. Even so, I’ve paid for protected no claims which allows 2 claims in 3 years without it supposedly affecting our policy.
    So why has it gone up so much? I’m livid and clearly won’t be renewing with them at that price.

Anyone else had similar scenario? Multicar or the ‘protected’ no claims?
    I’ve got 2 weeks to look at alternatives…I hate shopping around and changing but I’m not paying more than double what I paid last year even if it means going back to 2 sep policies again. Grrrr.

trail_rat
    Free Member

protected noclaims doesnt protect your policy .

it protects your no claims discount.

your policy will be increased and then you get your noclaims percentage off the increased amount.

Your not the first person this has happened to that i know of. Youll be happy to know that you can both now answer yes to have you had a bump in the last 5 years as well thanks to the multicar policy tying your insurance historys together – unless things have changed recently.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We’ve kinda got a multicar policy. Both our van and car (both modified) are insured through Brentacre and the car (bought and added after the van) got a pretty good discount on IIRC because we already had a policy with them.

I really can’t fault Brentacre – we’ve had modified and standard cars insured through them and almost always they’ve been cheaper than anywhere else.

Felofagen
    Free Member

+1 for Brentacre. I have my 2 vehicles on separate policies with them. NCD is applied to one and a discount equal to the NCD has been applied to the other. Much cheaper than a multicar policy and without the pitfalls mentioned above. I have had to make 4 changes to the policy so far this year (modifications, address changes, extent of cover) and haven’t been charged a penny extra

goldfish24

Had exactly the same as you with admiral, almost the same numbers too. I got on the phone to admiral at renewal time, armed with a coupl of quick quotes from compare the whatever, and they more or less matched. Even though I resent their business practice I was too lazy to change provider so I took their discounted offer.

richmars

I’m at Admiral multicar, been there a few years but I don’t recall the cost going up that much. If it had, I would have moved.

Tracey

We have three cars with them, camper wasn’t competitive. Check on line when renewal is due and then rang them to see why the difference. They have always matched the price or lowered it.

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

Happened to me, took admiral multi-car policy as it effectively cost me my usual policy price, plus my wife’s renewal 3 months later for free. However, come the renewal the policy price sky-rocketed and we hadn’t made any claims. Just resorted back to two separate policy. The only annoyance is that both policies are now due on the same day and not staggered.

pennine
    Free Member

I have 3 cars on Admiral’s multicar policy and expected a vastly inflated annual quote. I use the internet to get quotes for each car separately which will be lower than Admiral. I use these to barter & usually bring their quote to within £50 if not lower. Have the quote references to hand in case they want to check.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Multicar insurance – who has it?’ is closed to new replies.