Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Multi Tool with a decent chain tool?
  • FOG

Just lost my tool pouch so am replacing my trailside tools. I had a multi tool and a chain tool seperate but would like to combine the two but a lot of chain tools I have seen attached to multis are crap. Anybody suggest a decent combination?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I've got a Crank Bros one (the one that comes in a little metal case) and have fixed a few chains with the tool on that no problems.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

maxgear.co.uk

gooj multitool, not lightweight but works well

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 for the crank bros, better chain tool than the park mini I've got.

EDIT:

This one

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

never had a problem with my topeak alien II

lost the pin/bolt from the chain tool and topeak are sending me another one FOC

trail_rat
    Free Member

sks toolbox travel.

simon1975

+1 Crankbrothers for the chain tool and spoke key, but the allen keys weren't great.

warpcow
    Free Member

+1 for the Crank Brothers m19. I even use it at home when I can't be bothered digging in the toolbox for a proper one.

kiwijohn

+1 for Crank Bros 17. The chainbreaker will only push the pin out enough to split the chain, but not all the way out.

njee20
    Free Member

Topeak Hexus.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use a Lezyne-CRV 19 Multitool, chain tool is very good, as is the whole tool.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Topeak Rocket Ratchet, best multi tool I have ever used brilliant little thing! I use it for building flat pack furniture too. SOooo handy. Much better than my old Crank Bros.
    Wiggle link to tool

13thfloormonk

Another vote for the Topeak Hexus, especially as you CAN push the pin all the way out, kinda important if you're fixing shimano chains!

The tyre levers on it are also pretty good, and i've not found it wanting yet for other tools.

rootes1

what ever happened to all the 'cooltools' out there….

lost mine years ago…

kiwijohn

I still have a cool tool seat post quick release tool & the 2 piece chainbreaker you can hide in the post. Never had to use them in action.
    As for Shimano chain pins? Who still uses those things instead of a quick link. I did break one on saturday, though the whole drive train should have been replaced ages ago.

iain1775
    Free Member

+1 for Crank Bros 19

13thfloormonk

"Who still uses those things"

Well, me, but maybe thats because I've got a good chain tool 😉

Plus I don't like taking chances with aftermarket products when shimano makes something designed precisely for the purpose.

iain1775
    Free Member

Plus I don't like taking chances with aftermarket products when shimano makes something designed precisely for the purpose

dont quite understand that statement when KMC make some of the best chains out there and use a tool free link
    Likewise Sram and pretty much everyone else other than Shimano
    A Powerlink is hardly aftermarket or designd for something other than the purpose of joining a chain?

Still need a chain tool though as a chain can snap at any link not just the powerlink, and then you may need to be able to split and remove half a link to use a powerlink to rejoin if you know what I mean

13thfloormonk

Sorry, wasn't really trying to present it as a rational argument, just my little sub-stition.

I've got nothing against powerlinks/snap links, just not on a shimano chain.

I just feel chains just are a little too 'high precision' to be mixing and matching manufacturer's components, especially when for me there is little benefit to it.

rootes1

Still need a chain tool though as a chain can snap at any link not just the powerlink, and then you may need to be able to split and remove half a link to use a powerlink to rejoin if you know what I mean

that is what trail debris is for – getting the link off so you can repair with power link.. you can just hook a hex key in one of the plates and twist a plate off to remove.

13thfloormonk

you can just hook a hex key in one of the plates and twist a plate off to remove

😯

I'll stick with my replacement pin and chain tool thanks…

stevede
    Free Member

topeak alien, mines a decade old and the chain tool used many times.

AlasdairMc

I use the Alien, but still have a Cool Tool as well. Its chain tool pin has come in useful to replace the lowers bolt on my Pikes while out riding.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

+1 for Lezyne 19 – very well made.

grim168
    Free Member

Just bought an alien II . Wow loads of bits to play with. I even had to read the instructions.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Multi Tool with a decent chain tool?’ is closed to new replies.