Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Multi directional cleats and pedals
  • denni
    Free Member

Hi folks,

taking my first foray into the world of cleats so as a MTB user (20 miles a day on the road with the occasional off road adventure), I am looking at Shimano SH56 multi directional release cleats and a set of M424 pedals, all in all about £30 with various sales here and there.

Any other recommendations for pedals from anyone? Would like a bigger pedal, not fussed about how heavy they are. Also while I’m at it, any recommendations for any decent mid priced shoes for the above use?

Thanks in advance, Den

brakes
    Free Member

multi directional cleats are hateful things – lots of unexpected unclipping

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time.
    Time.
    Time.
    As above.

denni
    Free Member

Mmmm, so a no for MD cleats then! Any recommendations for normal ones then? I only asked about MD ones as thoses were recommended to me as a cleat newbie :0)

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve never had much problems getting out of pedals in an emergency.

I’ve had emergencies because i’ve come out my pedals accidentally…

lunge

520 pedals and the normal cleats that come with them will do you a right job. Should be £20 ish too. Agree with the multi release cleats are a liability, the joy of a good clippers setup is that you know you pull up on them and feel secure, you can do that with multi release jobs,

frood
    Free Member

Time pedals are easy in/easy out and comfortable. They are reliable too. Switched from Shimano and won’t be looking elsewhere for a long time.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve been using MD cleats (Shimano’s) for years without a single issue, on many different shoes, pedals, and bikes

Tried Time’s and couldn’t get on with them (can’t remember why now)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not at your price…

Normal cleats are fine.

Personally crank brothers candies but only the top end one, nice clipping and float with very predictable release points.

scotroutes

I’d recommend Candies too. 3 series and up for best performance and longevity

jedi

md cleats unclip when jumping as your feet natually point down as you jump

Del

times
    NOT anything made by crankbrothers.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I had some sh56’s one one pair of shoes and sh51’s on the other. Apparently i set my cleat mechanisms relatively slack and i couldn’t really tell the difference between the two.
    So if a set of sh56’s lands in your lap for free then you might as well use them, but equally you could save some money and just use the cleats that come with whichever pedals you buy -The case almost always is that unless you buy off ebay/classifieds then the corrects cleats are part of the purchase of the pedal ie if its in a box not a bag they will be supplied. Even oem bagged shimano pedals i have had in the past off discount internet shops have had cleats.

BillMC

Time. Had around 5-6 pairs on different bikes. None have ever failed.

denni
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies folks, really appreciate it.
    Will go have a look see at all the recommendations.

Olly
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with MD pedals. They do what they say they do.
    If you want to be clipped in properly and securely buy “proper” ones. FWIW, i believe the MD part is in the cleat, not the pedal. Once you get used to riding clips you may find your feet pop out the cleats at annoying moments, at which point spend a few quid on some non MD cleats.

Never had any issue with Shimano. Known nothing but trouble from anyone i know who uses Crank Bros.

M520s are cheap and reliable.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never had any issue with Shimano. Known nothing but trouble from anyone i know who uses Crank Bros.

Just be aware that there has been a complete re design of the pedals since the ones that failed all the time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Multi directional cleats and pedals’ is closed to new replies.