Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mulled wine recipes
  • Cougar

Thought I’d have a punt at making mulled wine tonight, never tried before.

The way I usually cook something new is to trawl websites for recipes and then distil ideas from them to cobble together my own, taking the best ideas out of all the others. I’ve just done that for this so I’ve got something together now that I’m going to go with, but I’d love to hear your tried-and-tested recipes or top tips.

Cheers.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I make a bowl of Smoking Bishop every year. So called because it emits a delightful vapour as it gets warm.

It’s a medieval recipe popular in Victorian England. Referred to by Dickens in the final stave of A Christmas Carol

Some background and a recipe here.

Also:

Smoking Beadle
    Smoking Archbishop
    Smoking Cardinal
    Smoking Pope

(depending on what wine you use)

Enjoy 🙂

tor5
    Free Member

I follow this, which you have probably already found. Although it’s not the only or most obvious mulled wine recipe on the site.

Cougar

I follow this, which you have probably already found.

Aye. I’d found http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/jamie-s-mulled-wine/ which is the same recipe only without the step-by-step pictures. I’m using it as my starting point.

big_scot_nanny

Jamie’s one is epic. Really good, esp if finished with a wee bit of brandy at the end. And when I say a wee bit… 🙂

Cougar

I make a bowl of Smoking Bishop every year.

That sounds awesome, but I wanted to drink it tonight so the prep time of 26 hours is a bit much…! Thanks though, I will give that a go at some point.

Cougar

Jamie’s one is epic. Really good, esp if finished with a wee bit of brandy at the end. And when I say a wee bit…

Way ahead of you (-: How much, I was thinking a tablespoon per bottle? (I’m scaling this down to one bottle in case I cock it up.)

The tweaks I’ve got are basically an orange instead of clemantines (Tesco didn’t have any), a bay leaf (suggested by another recipe), and randomly a few cubes of crystallised ginger (basically because I happen to have some in).

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

prep time of 26 hours

Yep!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mulled wine recipes’ is closed to new replies.