Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mulitmeter
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

I need a new one – Fluke are a bit outside my price range so what’s else is worth considering? £40 max.

cranberry
    Free Member

A fluke, Chinese market model, from Ebay.

Model number is 17b

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDm5BfRrAsg&t=2s[/video]

pk13

the fluke ones are legit just sold to China I believe to get a foothold in China AVE on you tube has stripped one down.

YouTube link above lol
    gentleman welcome back to the shop

GrahamS

I use a UNI-T 61E

There are a lot of posts about it on the EEVblog forums.

You need to get the legit German version (TÜV marked with proper fuses) not the crappy Chinese export version. But if you do it seems like a good True-RMS meter with USB data capture.

nickjb
    Free Member

Any. Unless you are working somewhere you need a highly accurate, calibrated one then all of them are fine. My best one is probably a maplin precision gold but I’ve got a couple of sub £10 ones, as sometimes you need more than one or I leave one in the car, and they are absolutely fine at the basics. Funnily enough the one I never use is my fluke as the auto ranging is so slow

timba
    Free Member

I’ve got a Megger analogue and a Mastech digital, the Mastech gets used more.
    Extech are apparently good too, but I’ve never used one
    Like everything, buy from a reputable dealer

leffeboy

Got a mastech and a maplin. Both are fine. I tend to buy a decent set of probes/clips in addition as the ones that come with cheaper machines are often a bit crappy

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The 17b looks good but I can’t find anyone selling them. Seems they have upgraded to the 17b+ which is over £100. I did wonder if there was much in it with the cheaper ones like Maplin etc.

tjagain

Depends what you need it for. I have a cheapo maplins one and it works fine for me. I basically only use it as a continuity tester and use its electronic thermometer function

goldfish24

Another vote for the uni-t as recommended by EEV Blog. Nicest to use since I left a uni department where we all had flukes.

Flaperon
    Flaperon

^^ I should add that the Vici meter linked to above is not a safe design for high voltage or high current applications. But for low voltage work it’s accurate.

Murray

Any recommendations for a cheap one? My £10 Tandy one’s died (due to leaking battery) after 25 years.

Murray

And do people still use neon screwdrivers to check if mains is still live or is that retro now?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines a 10 quid job off eBay Murray.

Used for rewiring my landy plus fault finding in various cars(resistance of circuits) and my campervan. Occasionally it’s even done house wiring

Does the job nicely.

If I was building and testing delicate circuits I might spend more for accuracy but I’ve had mine 10 years or so and it’s not let me down.

Flaperon

And do people still use neon screwdrivers to check if mains is still live or is that retro now?

Because there are far better alternatives that don’t involve the user being part of the circuit.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluke-1ac-ii-voltage-detector-pen/85949

rmacattack
    Free Member

depends what your doing or need if for. this is my go to atm, i use a volt pen, a plug in socket tester and a voltage reader.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fluke-T110-Voltage-Continuity-Tester/dp/B01186WJ58/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510482726&sr=8-5&keywords=fluke+tester&dpID=418YGmbDEZL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-voltage-tester/3516f.

if you are taking various readings then any multi meter would be suffice from £15 plus.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mulitmeter’ is closed to new replies.