Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mugdock Area – MTB Orienteering Event (20th April)
  • son-of-mike
    Free Member

On Saturday 20th April the 2nd round of the SMBO calendar will be based at Mugdock Country Park & suroundings, near Milngavie, north west of Glasgow.

There will be some great prizes (and spot prizes) on offer and mechanical support from Alpine Bikes. For details of the event please go to:

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/calendar/details.php?event_id=431

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Sounds interesting. Tell me more. Cs

iainc

should be a cracker

pistola
    Free Member

Cracking area for it.

son-of-mike
    Free Member

You’ll be issued with a map of the course area as well as a list of checkpoints which has a description of the checkpoint locations as well as a grid references. The aim is to visit as many checkpoints as possible in the 3hours. Each checkpoint is allocated points and your score is tallied up at the end. The map has some out-of-bounds areas but apart from that it’s up to you how you choose to get around your chosen course. The link gives you an idea of the area.

It really depends on you as to how you want to enjoy your 3 hours; compete for a podium finish or just enjoy a bimble around some trails testing out your navigation skills. If you only know the area from riding it then looking at it on a map may actually be a bit tricky as you have to relate what you see on the map to lay of the land.

Like Iainc says, it should be a hoot and then there’s the cafe for a bacon roll and some apres-bimble cake. Nice!

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

OK, sounds good.

iainc

yeah, think I might give this a go too 😛

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Who has organized it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

GMBC

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Beats the pub…….almost

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Great

flowerpower
    Free Member

(slight) hijack…

The first round is in Aberfoyle on Sat. There is a light dusting of snow – but all rideable I believe.

Details here

anrmclennan
    Free Member

I did a recce with the Glasgow MTB on a wet Saturday morning and it is a fantastic place for biking! Lots of challenging single track, some tracks on the West highland way and some nice open roads.

There is also a cafe at the event centre which does some great food!

Online entry is open till Friday for only £15 for solo’s and £25 for teams

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/calendar/details.php?event_id=431

Plus there are prizes from Buff, High5 and Vertebrate Publishing

mrplow
    Free Member

Would it be best to avoid the area during the competition if you are going up for a normal ride or will the numbers etc not be that big? 🙂

strackbaz
    Free Member

It’ll not be as busy as the Cross race. I reckon they’ll be 50/60 riders. I’m sure Aberfoyle had areound 45 entrees.

Rather than avoid it Mr Plow, why not take part? 🙂

mrplow
    Free Member

Numerous weak reasons; I am a retard with a map and the only bike availabile is a 160mm coiled front and rear full sus, I have to cycle up from the city so will be pretty ruined for racing etc etc :mrgreen:

Does not sound like it will really cause any issue as it is over such a big area. Hope the weather is good for you and I’ll see people out there. May take my camera for the odd pic, will post them up here if I do.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mugdock Area – MTB Orienteering Event (20th April)’ is closed to new replies.