Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mudguards – this doesn't look right…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just fitted a front mudguard. Most of it is fine except the front bit beyond the fork, but this us the bit I cannot adjust as is is screwed in the the rear of the fork and cannot be adjusted down any further.

Surely it can’t be right then the front bit should sit so far above the tyre…?

bobbyspangles

looks the wrong

neilthewheel

Is it for a 700c wheel and you are using 26″?

aP
    Free Member

To make it look right, you need to make the mudguard have the same distance to the tyre all the way round – which you can’t do as you’ve cut the stays already. Or get a different fitting to drop the front end at the fork.

woody2000

It’s not the rear guard is it?

timthetinyhorse

can it not be adjusted on the supports to even the gap out over the whole wheel?

convert

That is a cyclocross fork – those are road bike guards. Crown to axle length are different to give more mud clearance. You need a longer bracket. It might have to be DIY job. Also, not sure from picture but the clearance looks a bit iffy at the bottom too – I’d make it a bit bigger – muddy road crap will soon fill up the gap between the two.

edit – looking again even for a cyclocross bike the distance from top of the tyre to the crown seems big – what size wheels are they?

chip
    Free Member

Does it make any difference if fitted to the front of the fork.

wwaswas

I made up a small bracket to drop the effective fork crown height when I fitted mudguards to a rigid mtb fork and then bolted the ‘guard to the new bracket.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

In the past, I’ve made an ‘mount extension’ out of an old reflector bracket to lower the mudguards closer to the wheel under the fork crown.

grenosteve
    Free Member

You need a bit of meccano! That what I used to bridge the gap between the steerer and the guard bracket.

midlifecrashes

See that bolt halfway up the fork leg? If you attach the stays there instead of at the hub,do you get the clearance to even it up with the top? I’d be looking for as much clearance as practical on anything headed offroad.

Edric64
    Free Member

Good idea to use the lowrider bosses

Edric64
    Free Member

You have a few mill on the stays to play with as well move them right out and it will even the gap out

rumple
    Free Member

is the disc calliper obstructing the arm of the mudguards causing it to bend to one side?

ton

who give’s a monkey’s arse if it looks right or not.
    it is there to keep muck and shyte off you, not to look pretty.

STATO
    Free Member

There is a lot of twiddle being spouted on here dressed up as advice. You have correctly identified the problem that you cannot lower the bracket any more, one poster has correctly identified that you need to get it lower and this will likely require a bit of DIY to get low enough. Easily achieved with a bit of metal plate a drill and a saw. Otherwise, the stays are fitted correctly.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I just mounted mine to the low rider bosses on the middle of the fork , works a treat 🙂
    My arkose fork only has mounting holes half way up the leg, weren’t sure if they were for mudguards or low rider mounts , either way it works

shermer75
    Free Member

You have correctly identified the problem that you cannot lower the bracket any more, one poster has correctly identified that you need to get it lower and this will likely require a bit of DIY to get low enough. Easily achieved with a bit of metal plate a drill and a saw. Otherwise, the stays are fitted correctly.

This is your answer

Richie_B

Looks like you could gain an extra 10-12mm if you lost the plastic end caps off the stays which would help matters

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards – this doesn't look right…’ is closed to new replies.