Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mudguards on CX bikes
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

Using our CX bikes a lot at the moment both for commuting and for mixed terrain riding and really like keeping dry when not racing. Have got SKS race blades XL on rear which work a treat but the front ones just don’t fit … somehow the geometry is all wrong and have reverted to a crud catcher which is, quite frankly, shocking! Saw a guy out today who had guards with adjustable length stays which might just do the trick.

Does the STW collective have any ideas?

bails

SKS Bluemels on my CX. I only really ride on the road but there’s enough adjustment to make space for a bit of mud and bigger tyres.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Got disk brakes … these look like you need to thread through a rim brake mounting and that you need threaded lugs? Was looking for more of a clip on type

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

SKS P45’s on my London Road. Seem good – keep the crud off me effectively and they’ve handled some roughish trails easily enough.

Bez

I’m using Blackburn Cloudbursts. Chosen because of the single-stay front guard and adjustable bridges, as I was expecting to have to cut the guards down shorter (I’d never choose these for a road bike) but they’ve actually been ok even in proper filth.

bails

I’ve got disc brakes too. The bluemels work with them, you just need to bend the stay around the caliper.

mrsi
    Free Member

The adjustable length ones may well be bontrager NCS fenders. Had some on my commuter with 37mm tyres for a while and seem to work a treat.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Whyte ones on my Whyte Saxon Cross, they’re really sturdy and I don’t get any rattling even offroad.
    They were a bit of a pain to fit though as they weren’t designed for my bike, I had to shorten the stays and make brackets and clamps for the seat stays.
    I had the Blackburn Cloudbursts before, and the Whyte’s are in a different league.

Dibbs
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/G17Be7]2016_04_10 932 DSCN0921[/url] by Dibbs57, on Flickr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards on CX bikes’ is closed to new replies.