Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • mudguards for SS steel commuter
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Its that time of year, when an old blokes thoughts turn to having a dry arse when he gets to work, sooo..
    What full length mudguards for a Holdsworth La Quelda frame with mounts and eyes – must take 28mm tyres.

drlex
    Free Member

I’m using Tortec ‘guards over 30mm tyres on a pompetamine; SKS ones kept snapping at the rear.

shermer75
    Free Member

My Tortecs are still going strong after quite some beating too

RustySpanner

SKS Chromoplastics again here.

Nice front mudflap (stop it) and a rear reflector.

I’d completely forgotten they were actually dark brown though, so I’ll probably get a set of Black SKS Bluemels stuck on if these break, just because of that.
    Sad, I know.

The silver ones always look great when they’re new.

Usually get about 2 years out of a set of SKS before they start to get fragile or rattly.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

How much do each go for?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PDW.

(Not my pic!)

Proper coverage.

RustySpanner

The SKS are usually about £20-£25.00 from Spa.

Utterly miserable experience to fit though, pay someone, anyone else to do it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Those look good flashy! Think i need a decent mudflap whatever i buy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Utterly miserable experience to fit though, pay someone, anyone else to do it.

Agreed! The True Jedi of SKS Fitting is Pip at Stonehenge Cycles. It’s like watching a master at work!

Think i need a decent mudflap whatever i buy.

I can’t wait to see your flaps.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Those Holdsworths have track ends, so whatever you choose, remember to set it up so you can get the rear wheel out without the mudguard hitting the tyre 🙂

CraigW
    Free Member

SKS Longboards – they have longer mudflaps.

wiggles
    Free Member

The official name for the flap in the sks parts list is “slurry flap” 😆

muddydwarf
    Free Member

TRACK ENDS!! Bugger, that had completely escaped me!
    Hmm, may have to rethink this, need decent coverage to avoid a soaking but will inevitably need to remove the wheel at some point.

CraigW
    Free Member

I have full mudguards on my Pompino, with track ends, no problems. Just have them set a bit further back, so space to get the wheel out. They still do a good job of keeping water off.
    Or you could use SKS Secu Clips on the rear, they would give a sort of quick release.

1-shed
    Free Member

Bontrager guards are secured by a rotating piece of plastic which is done by hand, so you could unwind them let them drop down and get the wheel out?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

PDWs here. Expensive, yes, but way better than anything else I’ve ever tried – and easy to fit

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘mudguards for SS steel commuter’ is closed to new replies.