• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mudguards for road bike ?
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

Having said i would never spend more time on the road bike than the mountain bike, it now seems I do. Having changed to now riding the road bike in the rain and getting spray from both wheels, i think it might time for some mud guards.

Are there any recommendations of easy to fit effective mud guards for a Cannondale Synapse alu?

Thanks

therevokid
    Free Member

SKS raceblade longs ….

andrw13
    Free Member

Don’t get the quick release version. The release clip is very fragile and will break within a few months. Very good up to that point though!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Depending on clearance, Giant do a really clever full mudguard fitting. Originally for the Defy, but worth a look.

MoreCashThanDash

Fitted the Defy ones to my, er, Defy this afternoon. Fiddly and not much clearance but have gone on very solidly. You do need proper guards mounts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What flash says .

Raceblades and cruda version are hateful pieces of shit – when on winter club runs we rarely have one run where you dont hear the utterance ” i need to stop to adjust my mudguard”

CaptJon
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    What flash says .

Raceblades and cruda version are hateful pieces of shit – when on winter club runs we rarely have one run where you dont hear the utterance ” i need to stop to adjust my mudguard”

wobble wobble rub rub. I took mine off the back and put up with a wet arse.

are there any other options for bikes without mounts, though?

globalti
    Free Member

I had Cruds on the roadie for the 86 miles of biblical rain of the London Ride 100 and my bum stayed dry (ish) so I was happy.

househusband

I took mine off the back and put up with a wet arse.

£7 Ass-saver is very good at keeping that dry – they’ve just improved the design too.

Bregante

Fitted my raceblade longs to the winter road bike 3 weeks ago and have done over 300 miles on them. Haven’t had to adjust them once. So far, very impressed.

Haze

SKS Raceblade longs again, far and away better than the crud ones.

Excellent support from SKS too, replaced a broken rear blade after the distributor (Zyro?) refused to help source a replacement unless under warranty. Even sent new stays despite my insistence that they weren’t needed.

There’s no coverage underneath the calipers but on bikes with little clearance I haven’t found any better..,

doof_doof
    Free Member

Have the Raceblade Long been discontinued? The SKS sit lists the standard Raceblade and the ‘XL’, both of which are the ‘stay mounted half guards:

Kahurangi

+1 Raceblade longs

I bought he first generation ones and used them with tyres that were too big (to use 25 mm or smaller) which wore the clips that attach the guard to the bracket. The GF’s generation 2 ones have much sturdier clips.

Mine are nearly dead after 18 months good use – the rear fender has bent and cracked after many loadings in to and out of cars. It’s held together with tape now and some twist-tie to hold the fender in to the clip.

I’ll replace it with another one when it is beyond repair!

TiRed

Another Raceblade Long fan here; rode through last winter with them, bought 30 pairs for the club, not had any complaints so far. The plastic fastener for the mudflap can fail – replaced with a proper nut and bolt, otherwise very good.

If you don’t fit the front section to the front fork, you have enough fittings to use on two bikes.

corroded
    Free Member

How does one fit a front mudguard to a disc-equipped road bike – i.e. one without a calliper mount (or hole) in the fork?

petefromearth

@corroded
    Maybe a p-clip around the seat stay bridge if it is round?
    Not sure about the forks, maybe bung something up the steerer tube that you can put a screw in?
    Failing that, zip ties, insulation tape and hammer/chisel

Raceblade longs have stays that go onto the skewer, so might take a bit of bending to go round your calliper

corroded
    Free Member

Thanks petefromearth. No probe at the back, I’ve got mounts. But the disc-specific fork means a front mudguard is more of a challenge. I thought of plugging the hole with something and fixing some sort of bracket.

STATO
    Free Member

mud guards for a Cannondale Synapse alu?

Good to see everyone suggesting horrid half guards or bodges, have any of you realised the synapse has the mounts and space for a proper set.

matthewmountain – get some sks chromoplastics or sks longboards, both in 35mm width (they do 45mm wide for bigger tyres but they would be too big for the frame).

Longboards

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards for road bike ?’ is closed to new replies.