Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mudguards for my Jeffsy 29er
  • orangespyderman

Looking for advice on mudguards. I’ve been looking at the MudHugger website as it’s the time of year when I’d like to get a little less clarty, but I really can’t figure out how well the rear would work on a full suss like my Jeffsy. I’m assuming I would need a “Front Race Mudhugger” (plus extender?) and the “Rear mudhugger 29er” (plus extender?)

Any experience or advice on good alternatives?

jlln
    Free Member

Hi orange…
    Not sure about 29ers but my Jeffsy 27 wheels have mudhuggers front and rear which make a big difference.
    I’d suggest going for the extenders but I have no knowledge of how well they work. There is a similar thread on here with a lot of comments on Mudhuggers.
    Personally I still get some splatters from the rear tyre. I think they are coming off the sides of my 2.4 inch tyre. I also get a lot of splatters from the front tyre on the underside of the downtube and shins – this is with the full length mudhugger, not the shorty, but it dies protect the front fork.
    I definitely recommend mudhugger. Having said that it depends where you position them above the tyres. My front Pike fork doesn’t give a whole lot of space between the tyre and the slider bridge so things can get snagged which is more noisy than dramatic…

jam-bo

The extender for the front is essential for a 29r.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Jeffsy – that’s a neat bike!!!

On my cheap hardtail and full suspension bikes (27.5 and 29) I use Mudhuggers on the front. Can’t fit the rear mudhugger on the full suspension so…

There I use in winter time a TOPEAK DEFENDER. Mounts to the seat tube. Means no dropper in winter time…

The mudhuggers are the better option – if they fit. To check on the back: release the pressure of your damper. Push the bike all the way down. Is there still “plenty” space between the rear tire and the frame? On my bike: no. Nearly no space. Mudhugger rear won’t fit.

Rear mech of the Jeffsy looks similar to mine. Fear that will be the same problem on the rear.

Topeak Defender, Mudhugger, hardtail / full suspension: never lost one.
    Topek Defender mounting on the set tube: bit tricky in the beginning to understand the strange “universal” clamp. Had to read the instructions. Now it works (ugly beast so). Like the mudhugger much more.

julzm
    Free Member

I dont have a rear guard, but got a mudhugger FR on my Slash 29er and OH has the smaller one on his Hightower 29er – both work brilliantly. Only downside seems to be that you can’t get the stickers for the shorter one.

rOcKeTdOg

Only downside seems to be that you can’t get the stickers for the shorter one

Get the normal length sticker and some scissors

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

@ andreasrhoen What Trek do you have that you can’t fit a Mudhugger to ? One of the advantages of the Mudhugger is that it mounts to the seatstays and so the distance from tyre to mudguard remains constant . Seatpost mounted guards such as the CrudGuards are the type that have the trouble that you are talking about .

nairnster
    Free Member

I was trying to figure that out too. I can’t see in my mind a situation where a rear mudhugger would hit the frame.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

To Ramsey’s post:

No Trek.
    The one where I use right now the Topeak Defender on the rear is a low cost Bossnut V2 from Calibre.
    (Suspension travel Bossnut V2 :
    https://www.pinkbike.com/video/476084/
    See how close that is?)

Figured out that the Mudhugger rear won’t fit.
    Am I wrong?

The Topeak Defender works – but the ugly thing has disadvantages…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards for my Jeffsy 29er’ is closed to new replies.