• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mudguards for disc equipped CX bike
  • clanton
    Free Member

I am using my CX bike for some commuting and some training this winter. I have tried two different mudguard designs (that I already had) but can’t get them to work on the front in particular – back is just about ok with an SKS type.

So I need a mudguard for a disc equipped CX bike (Cotic X) to give decent biker protection and that will take 33mm tyres.

Any ideas?

ads678

I’m using SKS Cromoplastics in my London Road, with 35mm conti cx speeds.

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for sks

a11y

What exactly’s not working with the front one?

I run SKS Chromoplastic 50mm guards on my disc-equipped Roadrat with 47mm front and 42mm CX tyres. Only used a 42mm tyre when I had the original Roadhog fork and was an easy fit. Swapped to different forks without eyelets which needed more creative work using P-clips around fork legs but they’re great and solid now.

theboatman
    Free Member

More ggggravel than CX but for me SKS Bluemels

And if you are anywhere near a decathlon a total bargain, and they reckon they are good for 25-35mm tyres.

Had the bluemels on a rat too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sodding great SKS on my X. Just bolt them on. Widest that would fit. They cover 42 mm road tyres and haven’t needed adjusting for 6 years. I add mudflaps as I wouldn’t regard those in the pic above long enough to keep either my feet or a following rider clean.

clanton
    Free Member

The ones I tried wouldn’t fit over the disc brake caliper. Will look at those Chromoplastics. Thanks.

smell_it
    Free Member

What is the issue with the front caliper? Are you using the plastic spacer’s and a longer bolt?

scaredypants

I bent the stays around my BB7 on the cross fork – work fine

piemonster

SKS and a bit if bending did the job for me.

theboatman
    Free Member

As per smell_it, my sks came with some plastic spacers and longer bolts, so the secuclip thingy was just spaced out away from the disc caliper. No bending required, looks tidy, and fitted in half hour and solid ever since. I thought the chromoplastics had the same fitting as the bluemels, well my last set did. The spacers probably do knock the front flap a mm or so off, but not enough to vex my ocd traits.

The chromoplastics do have longer coverage, but I was tight and my feet are fine; my overshoes take care of any splash, and the rain which tends to fall from the sky around my way. I don’t ride in groups so I’m not fussed who is behind me.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

sks ones fit, but you need to bend the stay around the caliper had mine on for the last 6 weeks and are still secure and no catching on the tyre only use on canal paths and sustrans paths for communting

cp

he ones I tried wouldn’t fit over the disc brake caliper. Will look at those Chromoplastics. Thanks.

Just cut the stay off on that side, happily works without it.

allan23
    Free Member

SKS Velo 42 on my Giant Revolt.

I’d had problems with the front caliper with other guards, Velo 42 worked first time – no bending of stays needed.

faustus

I have some Matt black bluemels on my arkose I just fitted and they seem very nice, for fitting on the front fork I got complete clearance without bending from using axiom disc runners (sjs do them). They look pretty good and nice and tidy, but not necessarily any better than bending or using plastic spacers.

iainc

Zefal Swan and Croozer give pretty good coverage and have the benefit of working off road. No use in a group though….

cheap as chips just now too :

at CRC

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards for disc equipped CX bike’ is closed to new replies.