Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mudguards for a spesh full suss.
  • jonb
    Free Member

Are there any decent options available. On a hardtail it's easy as you can fit the guard close and it works. On a full suss to allow for the travel you need it miles away which looks even worse and is less effective.

Those little plastic things that go on the rear swing arm, do they actually work?

Looking for something that works and looks passable, any recomendations? I'm looking at modifying an old guard so it fits on the seat stay bridge but provides a little more coverage than those tiny things sold specifically for thjob.

Or water proof shorts?

crispybacon
    Free Member

Or water proof shorts?

Correct.

seanodav
    Free Member

Im sure those small plastic guards for swingarm are only to prevent shock being covered in crap.

Dango
    Free Member
    jonb
    Free Member

Marvelous, that's what I was going to attempt to make by mutilating my other guard but this is better.

badnewz
    Free Member

When I see a mudguard on a mountain bike I instinctively think of the French.
    One question you need to ask yourself when changing features on your bike. What would Churchill say?

z1ppy

m8 runs his stumpy with a sks shockboard up front, a specialized linkage guard and a old style crudcatcher rear (though needs to change to the mudguard 'stem' for a short one). Seems to work pretty well.

Dango – sorry, but what on earth does that mudguard do? As far as I can see it protects your seatbube and at best your seatclamp.

Dango
    Free Member

It kept most of the crap off me and as they dont make one and it it cost me £3 or £4 its good

Its not fixed firmly in place and you can push it closer to the tyre

igm

SKS X Blade

This one works on a Five and it comes off / goes on in about 20 seconds – so you only look like a prat when not using a mudguard would make you look more of a prat. Reverse the middle bit if you need extra clearance.

Edit – just noticed not in stock at CRC. hey ho

Coleman
    Free Member

SKS Shockboard front and SKS X-Tra Dry rear on my Epic. Both removed in seconds when not needed.

james
    Free Member

Stumpys don't look that bad with a conventional crudcatcher (~8" above the tyre):

BlobOnAStick

Hmmm….don't know about that James.

I got one of those stubby guards (like Dango's) and lengthened it using a old race guard (the rear crud guard that used to have a couple of stays on it).

It's great, sits about 2 inches above the tyre and moves as the suspension compresses. The slight snag is that it is a little too short still, so when the suspension compresses the back of the rear wheel peeps out from under the guard.

I'll try for some photos if anyone is interested.

Ben

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards for a spesh full suss.’ is closed to new replies.