Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • mudguards and cross bikes
  • iainc

I guess lots of us have cx bikes for commuting/general riding etc, with little intention of racing. With that in mind, I am looking for a good mudguard solution for my Jake the Snake. I do have some sks raceblade clip ons, which work a treat when it's got road tyres on, but the clearance is poor with 35c Locusts.

Ideally would like something light, removable, sturdy enough for gentle off road – canal side type stuff, with some reasonable mud clearance.

does such a mudguard exist ??

qwerty
    Free Member

i use this on the rear of full on mud fest riding – i cut it down a bit width wise though

acjim
    Free Member

I use sks chromoplastic full guards on the road. Off road I've used mtb crud guards but they're not that successful. I'd stay away from full guards off road due to the chance of guard/wheel/twig etc interaction

IA

I use a rack on the back, modded with a strip of plastic that extends out the back to work as a mudguard. Works well and still keeps several inches mud clearance for offroad. Plus *far* more robust than SKS say, which always used to get broken/bent in the rough and tumble world of the bike shed.

iainc
    13thfloormonk

I've been wondering the same thing for my (soon to be hopefully) Genesis Day Cross.

Those Zefals look pretty good!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i just stuck on chromoplastics but then again mines just for commuting – the closest to cross it sees is when im cross at drivers for driving in the cycle lane !

Dibbs
    Free Member

Those Zefals do look interesting, and SJS is only a few miles away 🙂

iainc

think I'll give the Zefal's a try – wiggle have them too.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

you dont need mud guards it takes the fun out of it!

druidh
    Free Member

About time that Crud did a wider version of the Roadracer methinks….

IA

"you dont need mud guards it takes the fun out of it!"

Did you read the OP? Or is the fun of commuting arriving at work filthy and dripping wet, and I'm missing out?

westkipper
    Free Member

Druidh, will the roadracer guard work with a cross bike at all?
    I thought the design relied upon the host bike having a central brake bolt (which CX bikes dont).

druidh
    Free Member

west kipper – that's part of what I mean. We're seeing a lot of CX (style) bikes now being bought for a bit of commuting and weekend fun. A few do come with appropriate mounts, but not all.

The Yeti Arc-X that will be mine later in the year comes with some nice, mudguard-enabled EC90X forks, but there's nothing at the rear.

aP
    Free Member

Why not get a Trek Portland? Loads of clearance with proper muguards and a rack. Oh, and a bmc for racing.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

If the frame doesn't have a chainstay bridge at all, you might need this kinda bodge:

Works a treat.

druidh
    Free Member

There are lots of options that have mudguard mounts, but there are a lot more without.

aP
    Free Member

Although, thinking about it my bmc has guard eyes as well.

Surfr
    Free Member

There is an XL SKS clip on which supposedly works up to 35mm. I was going to try them.

iainc

Why not get a Trek Portland? Loads of clearance with proper muguards and a rack

….'cod I already have a Jake the Snake 😆

Surfr – I have those SKS ones, some shops label them as 32mm, some as 35mm. I think the original packaging did say 35 though. I can use them , just with 35mm maxxis locusts on, but the stays tend to knock the tyres on anything other than tarmac. I've ordered the zefal ones, so will see how that goes.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have the zefal ones – they do what you's expect. not as good as a full guard but perfect dor commuting.

iainc

thomthumb – what size tyres you using ?

thanks

allthepies
    Free Member

>thomthumb – what size tyres you using ?

Only come in one size don't they ?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=20591

iainc

yeah, the mudguards do, just curious about how well they work with cross tyres, spray etc. admittedly a slightly stupid question though !

allthepies
    Free Member

Doh – didn't read your question properly 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘mudguards and cross bikes’ is closed to new replies.