Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • mudguard fittings
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve got some carbon forks on my uncle john, straight MTB type ones, and I’m wanting to fit my roadie mudguards for a few days touring next month. Now I’ve thought about fitting a star fangled nut upside down into the bottom of the steerer if I can, and drilling the guard to bolt it under the crown, probably have to space it out a bit, but hey.

the real problem I have is that there’s nothing to attach to around the dropouts, is there any band-on type clips that anyone knows of to go round the fork legs?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have done what you suggest, although I used a plastic expansion wedge in the bottom of the steerer rather than a STN.

For the dropouts, you can get some surprsingly huge P-clips, although I couldn’t find anything quite big enough for One-one dropouts. A zip-tie works adequately, around the dropout and through the mudguard leg fitting. Not great, but adequate.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

just read on the CTC site about getting seatpost mounted light brackets! seems a good idea.

Where did you get an expanding wedge? Would rather that than a SFN

paulosoxo
    Free Member
    BigDummy
    Free Member

Very cunning!

I think my wedge came from a Topeak MX style mudguard.

wwaswas

I used a gusset headset thingy with the long boltone of these at the top and the mounts of a pair of sks raceblades around the fork legs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How about plumbing fittings? Thats what I used for Mrs TJs commuter – plastic pipe clips

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cheers TJ, I need them for the fork legs though, and they’re 32mm I think.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Paul – you get them in all sizes and they expand a bit. 28 mm will probably do for 32 – at a few pennies from B&Q why not try

paulosoxo
    Free Member

ahh, sorry TJ, I assumed you knew I was in the gas trade and that I’d have some in the van, my mistake, you’re right though, should be able to get something to fit at plumbcenter, the 28’s I have wouldn’t go very well, but mine are quite tough.

I’ve already ordered those light mounts, but if they don’t go, then I’ll have a look at that above

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘mudguard fittings’ is closed to new replies.