Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mud-XRs at Cwmcarn?
  • nxb1
    Free Member

Hi all

Am I crazy to consider not changing tyres for a forthcoming uplift day at Cwmcarn?

I ride a Cotic Soul with tubeless Mud XRs. These tyres are great for cutting through the chalky gloop of the north downs. These are fitted to my only wheelset.

I am off to join some friends for a day at Cwmcarn in Feb. My normal choice of tyre here would be Minions. However, I am reluctant to perform a tubeless tyre change. IME rim tape needs to be changed/patched up when using tyre levers. I expect levers will be required to get the minions.

What do you think?
    – How will Mud XRs hold up at Cwmcarn?
    – Am I being super lazy here and need to MTFU to perform a tyre change?

thanks

Nigel

weeksy

buy spare wheels… fit both 🙂 take both 🙂

nxb1
    Free Member

@weeksy: would love a 2nd pair of wheels. However I’ll struggle to get that past the boss 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s the DH then yes I’d change to something a bit wider. Cwmcarn doesn’t get muddy and Mud Xs don’t excel on rock. Something like a 2.25″ Ralph would probably be my choice, which will also be spot on around the N Downs.

Edit: just read the comment re Minions, I’d fit those. Learn to change tyres, 5 minute job!

ianpv
    Free Member

It’s cwm carn – if it is round and rubber it’ll be fine. I’ve ridden swampthings around there when they were on the bike, they’re fine. On the hardpack sections they won’t be the best, but on some of the newer cut singletrack on the DH course you’ll probably be glad of them.

coatesy
    Free Member

Destroyed far too many mud tyres at Cwmcarn because I hadn’t bothered changing them, the sharp edged rocks seem to tear off chunks of tread very easily.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mud-XRs at Cwmcarn?’ is closed to new replies.