Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Mud tyres, which?
  • Northwind

“Herman Shake – Member

I know blue grooves aren’t technically a mud tyre, a number of others in the list aren’t either! I need an open tread knobby for trails which happen to be getting-but aren’t always muddy. I don’t necessarily need an only this or only that tyre.”

Nevegals or Highrollers then maybe. Trail tyres that can shovel mud better than most when they have to. Not a patch on a Mud X or Medusa for real bad mud but then neither of those compares to a Nevegal all the rest of the time so it just depends where you want your tradeoff.

I always end up saying the same thing, if a route is so consistently muddy that I can’t just plug through short mud sections on a standard issue trail tyre, I just avoid it, rather than rip it up all winter. But not everyone has that luxury of course.

Hah. you mentioned Factory XCs, worst tyre I’ve ever used and I remember what 80s tyres were like :mrgreen: Weigh more than my wheels, drag more than my DH tyres, stick about the same as my small blocks at best but lose traction almost randomly. Disasterous really.

ononeorange

Anyone had experience of Mud-X tyres getting cut? I’m thinking about one but had to take a Jones ACX off after a very short period as it was shredded by flints. Not sure if the Mud-X is a little more robust or not.

Adders69
    Free Member

Last winter in the Chiltern Mud I had a blast on Mud-X’s. Went 1.8 Rear and 2.0 front – whether this is better or worse than the same Front and Rear I couldn’t tell you … but it was great fun driving through the mud while others were struggling 😀

HermanShake
    Free Member

Northwind- Funny I’ve just attempted to dibs a High Roller 2.1, for those very reason. eXCeption for £12 dans le post, oh yes.

With regards to the Factory XC, a mate (who’s mateness is rapidly diminishing-long story) recommended them. He’s been on them for years. They do look pretty primitive! I really wanted Nevegals a while back but they look too cloggy for where I am.

So now hopefully it’ll be HR with mud-x and I’ll be nobbin it up.

For gloop would the mud x suit the back with the HR on the front for drive? Then thinking t’other way for dryer times. Opinions please 😀

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Mud X is definitely stronger than Jones ACX-I had the same splitting problem but Mud X have been fine all year round

ononeorange

Thanks Reluctant

EccentricEllis

Never had any problems with my Mudx’s (I’ve had 4) depends what your environment is. Any tyre will cut if if goes across a sharp bit of rock or flint.
    Some make it harder to do so but at what cost?

Mud X’s are great and the general consensus is that they are spot on too.
    It is up to you though, I have used Trail Raker’s and they’re good too.

ononeorange

Eccnetric – finty round our way, I’ve destroyed 2 Nobby Nic’s, an ACX,a Nevegal and now a Mountain King on the little blighters! All fairly new (one on its first ride). I realise it is ultimately unavoidable but some tyres do seem worse than others, hence the question.

Xylene
    Free Member

Swampthing vs Mud-x

I can pick up 2.35 swampthings for 30 quid or a pair of mud-x for 43 quid.

Are the mud x 13 quid better of tyre or not?

repatriot
    Free Member

Swampthings £18 @ next day tyres!

Xylene
    Free Member

but are mud-x worth the extra 13 quid over the pair of swampthings for 30 quid

Random
    Free Member

Decathlon 2.0 mud tyres (£9.99) – probably not appropriate to the OP but for anyone looking for cheap mud tyres for enduro events, these could be worth a punt.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I ran 1.95 trailrakers 2 years ago and whilst amazing in mud, they were VERY squirmy on anything slightly hard (fnarr fnarr). Switched to Mud X and find them a better overall tyre on anything but gloop.

convert

Around here muddy also means wet rooty & whilst trailraker prob better in the gloop the mud x seems better on the rooty stuff and therefore an overall better tyre for wet riding for me.

Having said that, whilst a mud x can be used all year, the biking improved substantially when I switch to Aspens when the same trails became dust bowls back in June so for me they would not stay on 12 months a year.

EccentricEllis

are aspens good? Not used them.

poppa
    Free Member

Aspens seem to be getting good user feedback, but a fast, dry conditions tyre – no use in mud.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

are aspens good? Not used them.

Aspens are very fast grippy tyre and work well in damp conditions, but the side walls are very thin rendering them pretty useless for tubeless and they puncture easily, I got through two rear tyres in 3 months so in dry conditions I have used an Aspen on the front with a WTB vulpine on the rear.

I wouldn’t consider them for mud as I stated above Bontrager Mud X is what you want.

stumpy01

My continental Edge 1.9s coped pretty well at the D2D at the weekend.

I had way more traction in certain areas than I thought I would have and they clear well – only £12.99 too!

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

+1 for Maxxis Swampthings.

Has to be 2.35 40a up front and 60a rear, plus low pressure tubeless for extra drag 😉 I feel better knowing that I can blame the drag of the tyres as oppose to my lack of fitness 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Mud tyres, which?’ is closed to new replies.