Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Much to see in the week prior to the Fort William World Cup?
  • stevestunts
    Free Member

The soon-to-be-wife and I are heading up in the Fort William direction for a few days, for a mini-honeymoon after our wedding on 29th May.

The problem is, due to other commitments we'll not actually be around for the main event on the Sunday. Hopefully we'll be able to watch the qualis on Saturday, but I was wondering if there'll actually be anything to see on maybe the Weds / Thurs / Friday leading up to it?

We're likely to be staying in Kinlochleven, so it's a not insignificant trip to the venue, and I'm keen to avoid turning up on, say, the Wednesday, to find an empty car park.

We'll have the bikes with us, so can get some riding in, but in an ideal world there'll be pro riders milling about without their game faces on, and generous team trucks giving away free stuff to newly-weds.

Anyone have any pointers / suggestions?

rickmeister

get in touch with Rare Events, they put the weekend together. A google should find them. As a volunteer again this year the impression is that it will be mainly getting the area prepped and not so much action, though I know there are others on here that have done this more than me and may say otherwise.. Its your honeymoon, do your own thing and enjoy yourselves rather than hanging out in FW on a maybe…… climbing/scrambling in Glencoe for instance..

R

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Is the 4 cross final not on the friday evening as it uses the bottom section of the DH course, would definately be worth a watch.

thegreatape
    Free Member

As I recall there were some practice sessions on the Friday last year (and I think it was free to watch unlike the other days) but before that it was mainly stuff getting set up and not a lot to see. I can't remember at what point the car park got closed off to normal traffic, but I don't think it was as early as the Wednesday. If you're staying in Kinlochleven then the Ice Factor is worth a visit, and the Loch Leven Seafood Cafe, five minutes out of the village on the low road, is very nice for grub.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

IMHO having been on the crew for most years it won't really warrant a visit before the friday as nowt much will be going on apart from frantic activity from the Village team getting the arena ready, Rare going frantic trying to accomodate last minute requests from teams and a lot of folks moving crowd barriers, course tape, and branding signage around and setting up the arena

By Friday it'll be a bit better, a lot of the riders will turn up for free practice ( but take a look at the event website for timings )and there may well be more to see but don't expect the Expo village to be up to speed as they'll mainly be setting up,

Access to the whole site is free on the Friday so a trip up the gondola would be worth while, get out and have a walk round at the top though…. It gives you a good view of the DH course and you may well spot some riders practising ( there is a fee for the gondola )

Oh, and on Friday the car park will be manic so be prepared to park a little way up the access road and walk back down.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Thanks all – some good stuff to know there. I guess Friday will the first day to have a look-in.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Much to see in the week prior to the Fort William World Cup?’ is closed to new replies.