Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Muc Off??
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Firstly, what actually is the cleaner. Is it a diluted degreaser? Is it meant for cleaning drivetrain as well as the frame? Does it actually work well?
    Secondly, THIS kit seems good value considering the prices of all the individual parts, but how many are you likely to actually use? I had one of those sprocket cleaner things, but don't have a clue where i have put it 🙁

It all looks very swish, but i suspect i may be better off sticking with a bucket and fairy liquid.

Hadge
    Free Member

Yes it does work well, yes it DOES degrease your bearings so make sure you wash it all off! It doesn't dull your paintwork and so is much much better than washing-up liquid so get some but watch those bearings!

elaineanne
    Free Member

thumbs up for 'Muc-off' or as a local bike shop calls it ****-off-(lol).
    i dont like that green 'Hope sh-t shifter' tho, it seems to dull my frame so i use Muc-off (pink stuff)…..
    oh one question….

Can you use Mer wax (car wax) on a bike frame to keep it smooth n shiney cos its great stuff that 'Mer wax' for cars..its gives ya car a smooth shiney touch… 😉

Jammy111
    Free Member

thanks guys, does it work on those chain cleaner contraptions or is it too diluted?
    Also what do you think with regards to that 8 in 1 kit i linked to on ebay?

carlos
    Free Member

Fenwicks for me, dilute it to whatever strength you want. neat as a degreaser and 1/10 to clean bike whilst being safe to use onall parts. At about ten quid for a litre that potentialy makes 10 even if you use a fair bit each wash it's still cheap as chips and yes it works well.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Fenwicks also for me.Best cleaner i have used.Also gets oil out of cream coloured carpet.. 🙂

judderman
    Free Member

fenwicks here too

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I find that Hope SH1T Shifter is much better at degreasing that MucOff, i don't use it on my frame so can't comment on dulling paint.

Xylene
    Free Member

Muc-Off is just a weak alkali with an anionic surfactant in it some pink colour and water.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm 99% sure that a mixture of bio-washing powder with dilute caustic soda (really dilute ~0.1mol)or another household alkali would be just as effective.

I will give it a go once my last of my cheap Muc-Off runs out.

iainc

jammy – it does work in a chain cleaner, but no where near as effective as degreaser. If my chain is muddy dirty I use muc off in the chain cleaner, if a good few rides of yuck, then I put degreaser in it. I always use finish line green chain lube, so chain gets messy quick.

As others have said, very good, just don't spray liberally on bearings and don't leave it on any of the bike for more than maybe 30 secs before sponging/brushing rinsing. As long as you end up with none of it left anywhere on the bike it isn't going to eat up seals or bearings. The key then is not to squirt it anywhere you can't liberally brush and rinse it away.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

another vote for fenwicks. I ended up buying a 5 ltr bottle of the concentrated stuff as I use it (in 1/10 diluted form) as a pre-wash spray on pretty much everything I wash-its great for getting bug splats off motorbike fairings too!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Fenwicks here as well, undiluted for the tough stuff, dilute for for general cleaning. Seems to be better VFM than Muc Off, unless Muc Off on offer (usually Halfrauds).

fubar
    Free Member

Tried it but wouldn't buy again. A gentle hose down clears even thick mud for me. Only time I found it useful was when I put grease on the frame with my fingers. I use a degreaser if I want to clean chainset.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Muc Off??’ is closed to new replies.