Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Muc-Off
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Is it OK to spray the stuff all over the bike including the shox and bearings ??

Will it not degrease take the nice lube you have in those places

Cheers

singlecrack
    Free Member

well thats how I clean my bikes
    then hose off and liberally coat with gt85

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

GT85 on shocks and bearings will bugger them up very quickly!

singlecrack
    Free Member

really !!!
    been ok for the last 5 years

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

luck not judgment

geoffj

Muc Off is a degreaser. Apply it where you want to remove the grease and grime, don't spray it where there is lube doing a job that you are not going to replace.

singlecrack
    Free Member

guess I'm lucky then 😀

iainc

Andy – I tend to do much same as you, although I avoid spraying it heavily on stanchions and shock. I do suspect it tends to strip grease out the drive side of the hub from being sprayed liberally on cassette though…

genesis
    Free Member

Use Fenwicks, I've seen Muc-Off reduce mag pedals to fur and strip the anodizing off an xtr drivetrain.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I've always used Mucoff all over and GT85 on my forks and shock never had a problem with any of it. I do take the GT85 off pretty quickly though especially in hot weather as it tends to dull the paint in time

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i use muc-off but i just spray it on the frame, rims, rear and front mech etc and give it a good wash with a spunge and a hose down and its fine

IainGillam
    Free Member

If your worried about it than buy fenwicks and dilute it a little more so it isn't as strong or have a mixture, dilute some loads for an all over spray and have some only diluted a little bit for the chain etc. Personally I put the cleaning agent on a brush then apply with that as they work much better when agitated and you can't get it in your bearings etc. For a large money saving then you can use non caustic TFR which is truck wash and costs about £25.00 for 10,000 Litres when diluted to the correct ammount and is the same stuff as muc off. Havn't used it my self (unfortunatly I only found out about it after buying some fenwicks so waiting for that to run out) but a quick search on simmilar topics to this on motocross forums will provide more information.

Iain

Reluctant
    Free Member

Liberally coating with GT85 seems like a bad idea to me. Aerosols atomise fluid into the air and it ends up in places you don't want it – like on your discs. Aerosols are BANNED in my workshop. BANNED, I tell thee! 😈
    Mucoff can be diluted, same as Fenwicks or anyone elses brand of cleaner. 50/50 seems plenty strong enough to me for most cleans.
    I did have a mechanic once who needed full strength Sh1tshifter to get him clean, and even then he still smelt a bit! 😆

nickc

You know, some of you guys are waaaaaayyyyyyy over analyzing all this stuff.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i use muc off too.. (pink stuff)…. at the mo im using 'Hope sh-t shifter', cos its cheap at LBS….. tho its seems to remove that heli-copter tape too. so have to thoroughly dry the frame b4 applying some more…

i dont spray it on my shox tho…..

CheesybeanZ

Iain Gillam , TFR is trafic film remover and is a general valeting cleaner
    muck off mixed at 50% and a couple of brushes works for me

IainGillam
    Free Member

Yep, quite correct TFR is Traffic Film remover here is a couple links which might shed a little more light on the subject.

http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php?t=212295

http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5347

Iain

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I usually just hose her down after a ride and I use the Mucoff chain cleaning gadget but last night I gave her a good clean using car shampoo. Is that bad? Obviously I'll re oil the cassette and stuff before I go out again.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Why does everone clean their bikes with chemicals? Do you need more than water to remove mud? Or have you all been riding through puddles of oil?

iainc

Do you need more than water to remove mud?

…..yes, 'cos the mud and grit all stick to the chemicals that are in the lube that is on the moving parts, chain, mechs etc.. 😆

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Interesting point, i take it after you wash the bike with the de-greaser you go around and re-lube all the moving parts… 😉
    Degreaser has a nasty habit of getting into places you dont want it, like bearings, forks, mechs, shocks, etc.

iainc

stuart – in theory, yes, but see my post earlier on in the thread about degreaser removing grease from drive side hub due applictaion to the cassette. I have diligentlly cleaned and fairly regularly degreased my chainset for years and am coming round to thinking that it is actually inducing earlier wear in the freehub zone

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Fenwicks caravan or motorcycle cleaner , its £8.50 from Halfords does 40 caravans so lasts for ages when diluting it down to clean the bike.

nickc

Fairy liquid….Free from the kitchen.

westkipper
    Free Member

Washing up liquid contains , according to brand, varying levels of sodium chloride- avoid if you have any aluminium parts on your bike.
    Personally, having had the odd paint and anodising damage-type experience in the past, I'd not have muc off, or similar products, within 50 metres of my bikes… I'm strictly a bucket of warm water, a cloth and an old water bottle type cleaner.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

fairly liquid leaves a powdery white residue on my matt paint work!

nickc

Washing up liquid contains , according to brand, varying levels of sodium chloride- avoid if you have any aluminium parts on your bike.

Oh please, do get a grip. It's a splash of fairy diluted in a bucket of water, hosed off more or less straight away. OK?

It won't hurt your bike, really, trust me.

Rickos
    Free Member

Our unique Muc-Off Biodegradable cleaning formula makes life easy, regardless of the weather conditions or time of the year. Muc-Off Biodegradable Bike Cleaner has an incredibly effective cleaning formula containing 'Nano Technology' that also cares for your bike's delicate finishes. It contains no harmful acids, CFC's or solvents and is fully biodegradable.
    It's completely safe on anodising, paintwork, chrome, carbon fibre, suspension seals, rubber, disc brake pads and more importantly to the user too! It cuts through dirt, oil and grime quickly and safely leaving your whole bike sparkling clean. Make life easy, try Muc-Off Biodegradable Bike Cleaner after your next dirty ride!

I squirt liberally and then rinse liberally too.

westkipper
    Free Member

Just my 2ps worth Nickc, most of the cleaning I do revolves around getting salt off the bike, not adding to it.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I use soap flakes, cheap and no salts or chemicals to worry about..and it cleans very well.

flyingfox
    Free Member

dilute muc-off – it's not the nicest. I now use Pedro's Green Fizz. Better, better for environment and we've got tons!

wwaswas

"I use soap flakes, cheap and no salts or chemicals to worry about..and it cleans very well."

bet it's a bugger getting the bike in the washing machine…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Muc-Off’ is closed to new replies.