Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MTBing Indonesia?
  • mud-monster
    Free Member

I have been planing a trip to Indonesia for months and its almost time to leave my home in England, It will be my first time in that part of the world and very much looking forward to it. I have spent the last 4 years working in a bike shop in Brighton. I am taking my mountain bike and plan to do lots of riding. If you could give me any advice on good ride spots and any low price accommdation that would not mind having my bike in my room. Is there any local mountain bike clubs I could join for a ride I mostly ride XC.

Flying in to Jarkarta will head south to Bogor and at some point head over to Lombok no real fixed plans but open to ideas and tips.

I am worried about the heat, any tips on staying cool whilst riding?

Thanks very much….

TheFlyingOx

After being there without my bike, I can only envy you. It looks frickin’ immense as far as biking possibilities goes. Google for mountain bike clubs in Jakarta, and start from there. If the MTB clubs are anything like the Hashing clubs, you’ll have a great time. Loads of ex-pats, loads of locals, loads of good food and beer. I think there may be some MTB-Hash clubs as well.

For accomodation, try airbnb.com. Places to stay in all price ranges and all locations.

Temperature-wise, when it gets hot over there *NOTHING* will keep you cool on your bike. You need to get out of the sun when it’s like that.

If you want a real wilderness biking adventure, head over to Flores Island (Nusa Tengurra Timor) and bike from Labuan Bajo to Maumere. We drove it, but the roads and scenery were absolutely breathtaking. It would probably take a week or so, and definitely requires a guide.

mud-monster
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply…. Can not wait… Sold my life on ebay and I am off. 🙂

GDRS

Mrs GDRS and I got some guided riding in Bali a couple of years ago.

Went for a wedding and did four days guided riding with a firm run by a British woman – using local guides. I can’t remeber the name of the firm – but I am sure the internet will provide. We never memt her – but the guide and the mechanic / uplifter were top blokes.

Great fun. We did a pick up from Kuta then they sorted accomodation in ubud and on the North Coast for us at the end of each day. The bikes we hired were okay hard tails – we just took some essentials with us (camelbacks / our own helemets / peddles and shoes).

The uplifts were excellent because it is hot. Some of the riding is technical and the descents long so you want some freshness. The guides get you right into the mountain terraces / gardens and villages as well as the lava fields (cycling on the moon). Not sure trails are that obvious – no waymarking – so the knowledge is what you need. But as Bali is not that large – start at the top of a volcano and head to down to the sea!

GDRS

http://www.bali-trailblazers.com/

The internet does provide….

mud-monster
    Free Member

Great… I will see if she has any jobs 😉

RayMazey
    Free Member

http://bali-trailblazers.com/

Clare is a great girl. She did her Mountain Bike Instructor Course with me years ago. I have no doubt that Clare will be doing a great job out there.

Please pass on my regards to her, if you get to speak to her.
    Cheers
    Ray

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MTBing Indonesia?’ is closed to new replies.