Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • MTBing in The Canaries
  • haggis1978

hello, i’m planning a holiday possilby to the canary islands at easter. can anyone recommend which is best for doing a bit of biking on and where to hire a bike from. There are a fe wsites but am looking for info from anyone who might have been before. Thanks

Albanach
    Free Member

Thread for Lanzarote here if it is any help…

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

was’nt there an article in singletrack a while back on gran canaria?

chrispo
    Free Member

I hired a Ghost hardtail from Papagayo Bike in Playa Blanca in the south of Lanzarote in November and had a blast going on bits of the round the island MTB route and some extra bits every morning from dawn to late breakfast. You can kind of go where you want on the island but the hire places can advise. Basically loads of loose dry double track everywhere. Nothing scary, but enough to be a challenge and have fun, big hills, great views, nice change from mud!

PS Everyone says the north of the island is better for MTB though!

turbo1397
    Free Member

I was in maspalomas in gran canaria last march. Did a 3 day tour package with http://www.free-motion.net/en/mountainbiking/gran-canaria-winter, excellent guiding and decent bikes (cannondale rz140’s) english speaking guide by the name of jamie, fri ride was the best, excellent singletrack and pretty full on techy descents..

cheers_drive

I’ve just got back from Tenerife where I did a guided day with Lavatrax. Basically 2100m of descending with a few short climbs.
    Lot’s of different terrain from switchbacked single track to forest fireroads to bedrock boulders with some really technical sections and even the fireroads were tricky as the surface was so loose. Hire bikes looked good if you are average size but the XL Marin I had a baguette for a stem, narrow bars and a steep headangle.
    I didn’t get the chance to take many photos but this is the view from 2/3 of the way down.
    Ratameres panoramic by Cheers Drive, on Flickr

GregMay
    Free Member

GC over Lanza any day. Not been to Feurta though, hear it is excellent.

Club does a week training in GC every year. Go find Lord of the Ring. You won’t be disappointed.

turbo1397
    Free Member

yip +1 for lord of the ring in GC, sketchy!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Anyone been to La Gomera. Off soon-ish and need to know whether worth taking MTB or Road bike

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

I’ve been to La Palma about 5 times and ridden with these guys

Cool outfit

Look up ‘La Palma mountain’ on YouTube.

They cater for all levels.

Cheers
    Paul

Dickyboy

Anyone been to La Gomera

Went a few years back – only got to hire a road bike for a day, roads are pretty much in a spoke pattern – the hub being the top of the island, so good if you like long climbs & descents. Can be pretty misty & windy on the top this time of year though & having no lights in the tunnel is scary. Plenty of walking routes – but don’t know how much is okay for MTBing

markwalker
    Free Member

i done the tenerife decent a few years back started ar the top of mount teidi and decended to the sea . briliant trip highly recommend it.

Sandwich

We had a great day out with Lavatrax in November. Easy terrain for Mrs S but she enjoyed it, even with the large off in the Arenas Negras area. 6 km of up and 22km of mostly down.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Been to Fueteventura a couple of times, doing other stuff but there were mils and miles of dirt tracks, very dusty of course and not that technical but should be warm, dry and fantastic for getting fitness up. Most of the islands can be windy though. Loads of tracks lead to secluded coves and beaches that you otherwise wouldnt see

C

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘MTBing in The Canaries’ is closed to new replies.