• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • mtb, xc coaching in the Worthing, W Sussex area?
  • malchales
    Free Member

hi,
    am going to give it a propper go next year. so is there any keen, up and coming mtb xc race coaches out there?
    warning
    i am as poor as a church mouse, but my misses says im special……. no honestly, ive been fooling around, doing a few xc enduros over the last couple of years with some mates, who are doing better than me, SO. i used to be a high standard 100m sprinter/110 hurdler until i was 40, and was a club xc runner when i was younger too. im now 50 and in pretty good shape. help anyone?

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Can I suggest that you jump in the car, travel less than an hour up the road to Peaslake and get a day in with Richard from All Biked Up? Examples of his work are on IMB. You’ll get a great days riding and some fantastic coaching at the same time.

grahamb
    Free Member

I’m from Worthing. I’ve done a couple of sessions with Jedi @ UK Bike Skills. Well worth the journey. The guy’s teaching skills are awesome.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Ah, Grahamb, you’re not a windsurfer as well are you? Only Jedi appears to be the coach of choice for those occupying Shingly Central (the Worthing/Shoreham/Hove/Brighton stretch) and has even made guest appearances on a windsurfing forum.

I’ve only heard good things about him and may give him a go myself one day, if I can’t be bothered to stop at Surrey Hills and get Richard to guide and coach me around!

singletrackmind

Get yourself along to Stanmer Park on Tues .
    Its the longer / faster night ride.
    Try and keep on the wheel of Woodsman ( Pete ) / Brian / Mark.
    Jedi will help you to go round corners quicker without crashing as much .
    Some of the SouthDowns mtb lads are quick too, join up with them perhaps.
    There is a training thread on here also , read through that.
    Buy a Garmin with HRM , Stop drinking , loose a stone and still finish in the bottom 1/4 .

LabMonkey
    Free Member

If you meant ‘coaching’ in regard to performance analysis and training plans etc I can help you out – just give me an email (in profile).

Cheers, Jon

thomthumb
    Free Member

british cycling should be able to help.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

😀

hamsterfangs
    Free Member

If you’re serious about rapidly improving your MTB skills then stop mucking about and pop up to Herts for a session with the Jedi at ukbikeskills. You WILL NOT regret it. I just got back yesterday and I’m still grinning like a loon. I started the day by failing to jump a stick on the ground, then got to clearing a 6-foot gap jump and a 9-foot table top. I can now go round corners too.
    Get the other half to buy you this as a crimbo prezzie. Sorted!

grahamb
    Free Member

lostboysaint, not me. I’ve never been windsurfing.

bigsi
    Free Member

My mate runs this Southdown MTB Skills

He’s a really nice guy who knows his stuff.

Teaching sessions run at Whiteways but he’s also done sessions up in the Surrey Hills IIRC.

He’s off the bike at the moment following an RTA but email him and see what he’s got to say.

jedi

thanks for the recommend guys 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Do you mean skills training or fitness training?
    If it is fitness training, then no point really having someone local. Almost all training is given over the net these days.

I race at a high level and have had testing done with LabMonkey. I can recommend him, top bloke and knows his stuff.

keyses2

Definitely go and see Jedi. Had a couple of sessions which have totally transformed my riding. I’m much quicker and smoother than before, can read a trail properly and get in the air 🙂 .Well worth the money and he does gift vouchers too.

jedi

Keyses2 thanks for your kind words

malchales
    Free Member

cheers guys, i will be contacting the reconmended skills and fitness gurus to help this budding racing snake hopefully beat my mates.
    ive had the pleasure of parking next door to and racing against woodsman at muddy a bigdog 2 years ago. as for the other alf buying this as a crimbo, shes already bought my summer tyres!!!

see ya at a race near you.

thanks again guys/girls.

DrP

If you’ve got a road bike and fancy a blast, come join me on Friday morning for about 46 miles, leaving from ferring….!

DrP

LabMonkey
    Free Member

mtbmatt – Member
    Do you mean skills training or fitness training?
    If it is fitness training, then no point really having someone local. Almost all training is given over the net these days.

I race at a high level and have had testing done with LabMonkey. I can recommend him, top bloke and knows his stuff.

Thanks Matt – there is a lot of ‘love’ being chucked about on this thread tonight!

Matt, how is the racing going at the moment? It must be about the time for your regular lab beasting and pinch an inch session?

Malc – I have just seen your email – I will respond properly soon.

fisherboy
    Free Member

good to know i’m “doing better than you”, mate. What’s this then, some secret training plans so you can whip our arses next year 😉 Next time you complain about that next hill i shall suspect a bit of sandbagging.

Seriously though lets work something out over the next few weeks.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Fisherboy – you are welcome to speak to me too if you like – just to keep things even – coaching is the new doping! haha

theotherjonv

Jedi is brilliant for the skills which will help you get faster by being better. +1000 for anything anyone has said so far on getting to one of them.

Purplebikeshed / Gorrick also do some specific race technique coaching in Swinley (an hour from you) with assistance from a junior world cup XC’er. http://www.purplebikeshed.com/xc_speed_racer_mtb_training.htm

jedi

How’s the riding john? 🙂

theotherjonv

Going great – wish i could say the same for work, which in turn means not enough time for riding…….

jedi

i’m fortunate in that department i know. 🙁

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘mtb, xc coaching in the Worthing, W Sussex area?’ is closed to new replies.