Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MTB within 1 hour of Central London
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Going to be spending a week so somewhere close to the city. Where is best for decent varied riding as we haven’t booked accommodation yet, and I get to choose.

loddrik
    Free Member

Around Dorking.

muddyground
    Free Member

Not familiar with “North” but I’d say down south Guildford / Dorking / Redhill are your best bets. Epsom is also on the cards. Sutton at a push. Brighton anyone?

senorj

As mentioned up there – Surrey Hills (South)are best , followed by the Chilterns (West to North West) .
    Epping forest is easy to get to from the North / East of London. Oh ,Beastway starts 20 may , every Wed up to 8 July. http://beastwaymtb.com/

ononeorange

Where will you be staying as of course that is the key factor – remember you can’t take bikes on the surface level tubes or trains in what is deemed to be peak periods. Not at all on the sub-surface tubes. You say “central” so you will have real fun getting out unless you go out of peak times.

I live in the Chilterns- if it is still dry, lots round our way, take the met line right through to Chesham (takes a bit over an hour from Liverpool st, about an hour from kings cross etc).

welshfarmer

An hour from Central London. On a Friday Evening? Sure to be something on Wimbledon Common or in Richmond Park 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you head east there is Epping Forest. Not much in evelation but lots of twisty singletrack plus it’s rideable to there from central London (Doking will take at least an hour and a half to ride there first).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Swinley?

pipiom
    Free Member

Oneoneorange: I’m choosing where i stay based on decent MTB and access to the city…..my wife will be going into London not me……so Dorking or similar sound good….not going until September

jambalaya
    Free Member

@pipion – yes Surrey Hills and stay South/South West so you can access the A3. I live in SW3 and can get to Surrey Hills in just under an hour on a Saturday/Sunday morning leaving around 8:00, traffic is pretty light. More trouble if you try and get back into London on a Sunday at 5pm

In terms of where to head for I would drive to Peaslake and/or hook up with Nirvana in Westcott for a shop ride perhaps ? FWIW Dorking wouldn’t be where I would start from. If you want an XC+ style ride you can park at Newlands Corner (large car park, cafe etc) and ride along the NDW towards Ranmore (few trails/features there 🙂 ) then come back on South side through Shere. That’s about 20 mins less driving than Peaslake. If you want a map/suggestions drop men an email

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MTB within 1 hour of Central London’ is closed to new replies.