Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MTB with a bad back
  • yetidave
    Free Member

I have had a bad back on and off for about 10 yrs. (prolapse in L3) and I find that cycling often helps the recovery process from an “event”. (I think any form of exercise will help it gain strength mobility etc, but cycling is my go to!) I use the phrase, “if it hurts-don’t do it!”. But getting back on the bike is often a concern that if I come off, am I going to do more damage. For those with slightly dodgy backs, what process to you go through getting back out? Use the turbo, canals, easy rides, or just MTFU and ride it? (Been off the bike for 5 weeks now and NEED to get out!!)

servo
    Free Member

My wife has a bad back and really struggles on long rides with low level bumps gradually taking their toll.

I bought this last year for her hardtail and it she says it has helped a lot.

http://www.ultimateuse.com/use-components/seatposts/vybe

We did the South Downs Way over three days in a large group recently and she was OK in the mornings but in the afternoon it was getting too much. But it is a hard route.

Thinking of getting a second hand full suspension bike for the hard days.

Start off with short rides and try a suspension seat post.

yetidave
    Free Member

thinking of changing the swift for a full sus (or adding a full sus to the stable) for similar reasons. Did a 70ish mile ride on the road bike two weeks before the last event, I was decidedly squint after that!

Beagleboy

Oooh, I like the look of that suspension seatpost, Servo. It even comes in 27.2mm to fit my lovely, and currently unused Orange P7.

Think I’ll get me one of those and see if it’ll let me, and my dodgy back, play on the hardtail again. Thanks for the info!

Beagy x

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ease your lower back into riding again using a high rise stem, my On One 100mm 35 degree stem (IIRC, it wasn’t 80mm as I previously thought) has been a godsend to me at times over the last ~9 years, raising the front end of bikes by ~5cm.

19ninety
    Free Member

Don’t just MTFU, prolapsed/hernitated discs are serious. MTFU is fine if you have a cold, it’s not fine if you’re risking your ability to be pain free and mobile for the rest of your life.
    I’ve the same issue, in fact had my appointment with the osteopath yesterday so waiting to hear back from them about the next steps for me. I was pretty scared about riding again, the thought of the how much shock must be transferred up the spine on a hardtail really put me off. I did do a few “gentle” off road rides, standing up on all the rough stuff and ruts.

Anyway, after much looking, reading, reading, asking question, and reading more I got a full sus 27.5+, I considered a Thudbuster on a plus sized hardtail, but figured in for a penny – in for a pound and went full sus 650b+. It’s honestly like luxury compared to my hardtail, worlds apart. Granted it is nearly 2kg heavier so I won’t be bagging any KOM’s on climbs anymore, but it’s also crazy fast on descents!

tinytim

Do some stretches and core stability work daily before you get back on the bike. Us cyclists often end up with tight hamstrings so worth stretching those too. Changing to flat pedals (not pulling up on SpDs) and slightly lowering the saddle helped me too

L4/5 herniation last year: discectomy in January, now back on the bike pain free… it takes time, be patient and try not to get too frustrated with yourself. Don’t overdo it initially

MoreCashThanDash

I have had a back problem for 27 years now, originally wrecked my pirifermis when I was 21, never got it looked at till it went for the third or fourth time when I was 30.

It used to go twice a year – stupid things would lock it into spasm, like sneezing or getting milk out the fridge. Various physios and stretches and exercises help get me going again, but it’s never been “cured”

Once I can walk normally, I can usually get on a bike for a gentle pedal which seems to loosen my hips and lower back enough for my usual stretches to become effective again – love watching the kids wince when my lower back makes the same noise as cracking my knuckles…..

I now see an osteopath every 2-3 months for a check up on my lower back, and just general stiffness in my shoulders/neck. He pushes things back into place and stretches me out, and I have a problem every 18 months now. Yes, it’s £150 a year, but better than paying £100 twice a year to get it fixed when it goes, plus I don’t lose a week or two off work every year, plus 3-4 weeks each time trying to get my fitness back up to the pre seizure level

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘MTB with a bad back’ is closed to new replies.