Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MTB Wheel Upgrade £100
  • luthersboots
    Free Member

Hello all, this is aimed at the budget minded, or those that have found some great bargains recently.
    I am looking at upgrading my Giant Wheelset as the stock standard is heavy, poorly built and overall pretty limiting.
    I have a budget of around £100 beans, as I have a lot of outgoings over the next few months.
    I am happy to use these classified, eBay or scour the next for deals.
    My requirements are as follows:
    Something for mostly Singletrack, Cross country (not massive downhills or loads of rocks e.t.c)
    Sealed bearings (getting tired of the fiddly little servicing required for loos bearings.
    Tubeless compatible (I could drop this one if necessary)

I have seen the Fulcrum Red Metal 5’s for around £150 so I reckon if I get a lightly used set of these i could hit my budget.
    I have been watching eBay and various incarnations of mavic wheels (x*17’s, Crossrides e.t.c) have been steadily going for around £80 used, but the reviews are hit and miss.
    I took a look at Halo wheels and they seem to be built for more downhill demons.

Does anyone have any tips on where to hit my budget and what I should be focusing on?

Cheers,LB

jonk

Fulcrum Red Metal 10’s are £124.99 from merlin or look for a good s/h set of hope XC or Pro 2 built up onto decent rims.

RustyMac

Hope hoops regularly sell on the forum for £ 130 -£175 depending on the rims and condition, if you can hold out and put a few more pennis by it may be worth while waiting for something like that.

The main reason i suggest this is for the serviceability of the hope hubs, in general they are quite easy to work on, service guides and videos are all over the place and spare parts are redily available.

luthersboots
    Free Member

Are the Fulcrum Red metal 10’s sealed bearings?

luthersboots
    Free Member

Really want to keep this at about £100 as I am looking at a Fork Upgrade aswell.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Several of my friends have crossrides and have had no issues. I wouldn’t use them if you are a big fella but a normal human should be fine. Mate got a brand new pair of 2010’s for a £100.

luthersboots
    Free Member

Cheers, I am only 85kg. And I don’t throw them downhill loads.
    I like the Mavic reputation and they seem to be pretty prolific on eBay.
    Guess I should prob stick with the latest models though?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d check spares availability before buying factory wheelsets, particularly second hand.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘MTB Wheel Upgrade £100’ is closed to new replies.