• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Leku.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MTB riding in NW Spain?
  • superfli
    Free Member

I’m off to Pontevedra/Vigo just above Portugal next June for my summer hols – my bro will be in the GB tri squad for the Euros. I’m taking my MTB in the hope that there maybe some trails in teh hills around the area. Anyone been to these parts and can you recommend some routes please.
    Whats the laws out there for pathways, I mean, do they have footpaths, bridlepaths etc and what can I cycle on.

TIA 🙂

crotchrocket
    Free Member

My limited experience of Spanish trails suggests you can ride anywhere any time . Unless you get arrested. In which case you offer a bribe or pay a small fine.

Have a great time and remember – the police have more
    Important things to deal with than mtbs miles from abywhere not bothering anyone 😉

nick1c
    Free Member

Take a surfboard as well if you can – there are some outstanding breaks over there.

sidyid
    Free Member

Spain is a very biker friendly country, bikers are God and low and behold any motorist that annoys Spanish bikers…..lol.

There is a right to raom law in Spain that allows you to cycle anywhere that isnt fenced or gated off, even on the regional parks and national parks.

ianv
    Free Member

Vigo hosted a world cup downhill some years ago so I guess there has to be some pretty good riding.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I don’t know that area too well but I know about access rights here… you can go where you want to EXCEPT for the natural parks, there’s no right to roam in most of those. Sorry sidyid, that’s not correct for most of the parks, you shouldn’t venture off the wide paths.

Having said that. Sidyid is correct and bikers are god here. Everyone loves us 🙂 The most likely thing you will find if you are caught where you’re not meant to be is people cheering you on to ride stupid stuff! There are areas where this isn’t the case though… some environmentally sensitive areas where we shouldn’t be and wouldn’t be welcome so unless you know the area you should err on the side of caution.

Also, in parts of spain there are special police for the forests who won’t be at all happy if you offer them a bribe!!! If you do that though please take a photo and send it to me 🙂

Learn spanish for “I’m lost” and smile and you’ll be right. Take a surfboard or hire one at least, this coast is amazing for surfing.

superfli
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips 🙂
    Now I’m trying to get a route of the downhill course!

sidyid
    Free Member

Doug you are incorrect (in a way),….. as you know all areas of Spain are Autonomous so each area will have different laws, I have property near a National Park and can ride anywhere that is not fenced or gated, it fact all of the regional and national parks I have ridden on it was allowed (Southern to Mid Spain)as they have fenced off the areas that they do not want riders on.
    May be different in your area.

donsimon
    Free Member

Spain is a very biker friendly country, bikers are God and low and behold any motorist that annoys Spanish bikers…..lol.

Try telling that to the hijo de puta that tried running mke off the road yesterday!

There is a right to raom law in Spain that allows you to cycle anywhere that isnt fenced or gated off, even on the regional parks and national parks.

Wrong! I think the law is exactly the opposite, YOU CAN NOT RIDE ANYWHERE! but it is generally tolerated and no-one does anything, but I’m not sure about this. Regional and National Parks do control access to both walkers and cyclists. As you say this might be regional, but I have a feeling it’s more representative of how people choose to interpete the law.

Ericduop: I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about so I’ve asked the mods to see if they can clarify! 😉

dang100
    Free Member

Here’s a link to the Vigo DH course:

http://tinyurl.com/32y8n5y

There’s also a bike park about 2hrs drive from Vigo

http://www.manzanedabikepark.com/

Leku
    Free Member

Excellent the swear filter doesn’t cover spanish.

That’s me sorted then.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MTB riding in NW Spain?’ is closed to new replies.