Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • MTB Posers!
  • Toddboy
    Free Member

After reading a thread yesterday that mentioned a rider adjusting tyre pressures on each descent, it got me thinking. How many MTB'ers are out there that are just posers. The type that buy an expensive bike and all the latest gear, but never get out there on the trails in all weather. The type of MTB'ers that "MUST" have all the latest gear, but in reality, they don't need it at all.

Have you seen anybody like this, or are you a self confessed MTB Poser ❓

coogan
    Free Member

a rider adjusting tyre pressures on each descent,

Swearing deleted. Please tell that ain't true.

(Not subtle swear avoidance. Don't do it again! Mod)

cinnamon_girl

Ticks box.

will
    Free Member

Seen a fair few. Just have to laugh. But tbh as long as they don't get in my way then i'm happy 🙂

I would much rather have a average/good bike than a very expensive bike as i'd be worried about damaging it all the time etc… 😆

jedi

eaqually, you get people with 60psi in tyres and think thats ok

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I don't even adjust my tyre pressures….ever! Push with thumb now & again thats all.
    There are loads of posers out there, I stopped buying spangly bits years ago.

alexonabike

I think my riding buddies see me as 'a poser', mainly because I can:

a) clean my bike
    b) build a bike properly
    c) don't try and make a commuter bike for a short lady out of an Onza trials bike

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have a large moustache and always wear a carnation, are you callin' my pint a poof?

GlenMore
    Free Member

* puts hand up *

Smee
    Free Member

I adjust my tyre pressures quite often. Pump them up when they get soft – leaky tubeless tyre you see.

You should try having GT and Inners local to you – then you'll know what posers are. They are the reason I ride SS a fair bit – you cant beat making Rambo look like a clueless ****.

ton

I stopped buying spangly bits years ago.

i never started, deore all the way………

nbt

Where's hora?

el_boufador

Yeah, there's lots out there. It's just a form of vanity.
    I'm not opposed to it though – I hope some who start MTBing in this manner actually learn to enjoy it! I also think we have to thank them to some extent for making the marvellous network of trail centres which have built up over the past few years viable

flippinheckler
    Free Member

If effing golfers buy all the latest gear thinking it will make them a better golfer then why not mtber's, mind you since getting a roadie and seeing their gear their worse than mtber's…one guy had a Scott Addict as his winter bike 8O.

ton

there will always be posers, there will always be people with all the gear no idea, and there will always be jelous barstewards………
    life is such.

coogan
    Free Member

I should add, I have no problem with the 'posers' you reference. Its their money after all. I find all the concern over tyres, putting certain bikes away for winter, its British, calling a bike she, steed or a stable etc all bollocks more than the 'posers'.

djglover
    Free Member

I am just a riding god with all the gear, and the right tyre pressure.

Thanks

rs
    Free Member

Are we not allowed to have stuff we don't need anymore, somebody call the police, someone just spent money on a bike, f#$k me!!!! 🙄

GW
    Free Member

dunno what previous post you're referring to but I pretty much always know my tyre pressures (and can tell fairly quickly while riding when they're out by around 5psi or more :?) I also have quite a large collection of perfectly set-up (for me) high end bikes for each occasion and shouldn't ever need to justify the kit I ride.
    Can't say I've ever felt the need to have the latest kit tho, infact I'm quite wary of new stuff, and I'd never buy the latest fashionable riding kit.
    riding wise, I think style is important (for me) so yeah, I'd admit to being a poser… although I am not afraid to get dirty (in fact I love riding slick muddy conditions) but I'll always jump/manual or ride round puddles on dry days! and I'd rather spend an entire day riding one fun section of trail/jumps over and over than doing a misserable XC ride.
    on the flip side I've often ridden with others who always seem to have the latest kit and change bike more often than I change tyres but none of these riders are in any way posers!
    are you sure you're not confusing "poser" with "insecure" or "anal"?

samuri
    Free Member

eaqually, you get people with 60psi in tyres and think thats ok

It is isn't it? You can ride really fast with 60psi in there. yeah, you bounce around a bit but people like us can cope with that, eh?

plumber
    Free Member

once rode with a guy who continually stopped to alter tyre pressure and or rear shock pressure. not sure how that works as I have neither rear shock nor care what my tyre pressures are. I can't ride very well either

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Night biking with sunglasses… Yeah!
    You can ride really fast with 60psi in tyres… Oh Yeah!
    Anodised aluminium brake bolts look supa cool… Yeah!
    Anodised aluminium stem bolts look even cooler… whoop!

2 cool 4 skool.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I must have forgotten to sign the promisory note when I bought my numerous piles of bits to build one of the bikes I've owned over the last 20 years that said I promise to ride my bike in all weathers and never own anything more than I need.

If we all did that 99% of us would be riding round on rigid bikes with canti brakes, wearing old trainers and using pedals with toe clips.

I have a few bikes and none of them are old nails and all are kept in very good condition. I update the spec on them now and again (mainly coz I like shiny stuff). I use what I take off to upgrade my daughters bike or sell on here to fund the next project (there's always a next project on the go)

It's the folks that buy the new shiny stuff that keep the development teams going so that MTB's have progressed to where they are today

It always makes me chuckle when someone writes something like this.

I would much rather have a average/good bike than a very expensive bike as i'd be worried about damaging it all the time etc

No offence but I would dare to suggest that you're not being totally honest there. If you had the choice of riding a £400 hardtail or a £3000 Pace hardtail, you'd take the cheap one…….I don't think so

I always thought that riding mountain bikes was about fun and it didn't matter what you rode or how long you rode it for. The fact that you're out there riding was what counted.

I don't ride as much as I would like to coz I have to fit it in around my life and the weather so I guess that means I'm not allowed to call myself amountain biker anymore.

loddrik
    Free Member

Holmbury and leith hill, poser central!!

Dobbo

that mentioned a rider adjusting tyre pressures on each descent

Surly this is just a myth (or a one off!), if you keep adjusting your tyre pressure on each decent that implies that you are letting air out. So you either end up with flat tyres or you pump them up again on each ascent. No one would ride with anyone faffing that much, and I cant say I've seen anyone pumping up or fettling down tyres outside of the pre ride car park faffing except when they get a flat.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I know a couple of right poseurs, really flash bikes always spotlessly clean, bling singlespeeds, matching kit, the works. But they ride them all year round, have a laugh with everyone else, and aren't pretentious (sp?) about it.

I have no problem with that at all.
    I like looking at a really nice bike as much as the next person. 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

There will always be people who can afford to buy the best
    Some will buy the best because they want to pose
    Others will buy the best because they appreciate it and know how to use it

Some people will be jealous of anybody with expensive things because they have a chip on their shoulder
    Other people just wish they could afford the same and move on

We all laugh at people who have all the gear and no idea, but in our case at least it keeps our LBS in business so we can benefit from their services

nimrod2410
    Free Member

TBH i dont care what other people choose to spend there money on, and then subsequently how they choose to use it.
    What business is it of mine to comment!

Some people need to take a reality check and realise its a sport, past time, leisure pursuit, and we all have the right to take part in any way we choose with out dumb threads like this.

BlingBling
    Free Member

once rode with a guy who continually stopped to alter tyre pressure and or rear shock pressure

I'd have to leave him there and ride off on my own.
    If you arranged to ride together then he should have checked his set-up BEFORE meeting you.
    Noting worse than hanging around for a tinkerer 😉

juan
    Free Member

I like looking at a really nice bike as much as the next person.

No no no and no you won't have my bike.
    However I am free saturday night if your wife gives you permission. Shall I wax my bum 😉

rOcKeTdOg

a rider adjusting tyre pressures on each descent

how is that not being out there riding your bike?, i'd be more worried about myself if i was getting heated up about what tyre pressures other people were using, i tend to ride my bike not analyse everything everybody else is doing, i mean if you see a rider who happens to have grips that match the colour of their saddle to you collapse on the side of the trail and have a breakdown? 🙄

p.s. i have no idea what pressures are in my tyres, my guide is if they roll a bit on corners i put a bit more air in and that's it basically

bent_udder
    Free Member

I remember pretty much exactly the same discussion on the cycling.org MTB list in 1995. It's playing out pretty much the same way, just with less mentions of purple ano.

DWH
    Free Member

I won't even ride with anyone unless they have at least a Chris King headset. If you've got a Thomson stem and seat post I 'might' grunt in your general direction.

And I never ride in the rain.

grumm
    Free Member

Noting worse than hanging around for a tinkerer

What about being left behind by someone who likes to think they are in a race when it's supposed to be a fun sociable ride? 😉

simonralli2
    Free Member

I took that thread about tyre pressure as a wind up, a p take taking the p out of another thread. It was a wind up wasnt it?

Jedi – I got ticked off for going up to 45/50 psi! I find 30 a bit draggy on the B roads I ride you see 😀

Beagleboy

If I didn't spend every last spare penny on shiny spangly bits for my bikes then it'd probably all go on beer and prozzies. Pretty sure Mrs Beagleboy would be even less impressed with that.

I can't ride for toffee, but my bike looks the part, and that's enough for me! 8)

MussEd
    Free Member

You should try having GT and Inners local to you – then you'll know what posers are. They are the reason I ride SS a fair bit – you cant beat making Rambo look like a clueless ****.

Now I totaaly know what you mean about GT and Inners, they are the most popular trail centres in Scotland as we all know and such will attract more than their fair share of poseurs, but are you seriously saying that's the reason you choose to ride single speed? Seriously? To make "Rambo look like a ****"? Dinna believe you. Suspect it's more to do with you having to feel good about yourself by "beating" other folk up or down hills. That makes you the poseur IMO.

Talking of which I was driving down to GT yesterday and was stuck in Traffic near the entrance to the car park in Peebles{where thy hold th market on Saturday mornings} and a guy pulled out of a side street on a lovely wee Kona SS. Nice hardtail I thought. He then ruined all this by making a total James Blunt of bumping up a tiny drop kerb to allow him to cycle along the pavement. Anyway got through the temporary traffic lights and drove along to the roundabout near the petrol station, waited my turn to go. Just then the SS hero came along and had to negotiate another kerb. Another fail, another dab.

That better not have been you Goan. I hate having my heroes and idols shattered…

monkeychild
    Free Member

What are new shiny things????

scaredypants

Some of you need to cheer up a bit, though I accept this is surely boredom/low-level trolling in some cases

Also define what you mean by poser:
    a) someone with a nice bike and low skills who just carries on riding poorly
    b) someone who's not good at seting up their (new?) bike & faffs a bit
    c) someone who's all mouth and no action – including blaming their stuff whenever skills fail
    d) someone who thinks they're better than other riders and so has to be seen to beat them on a cheaper bike, whether or not a race has been entered into

for me, c and d only – but of the 2, I'd rather ride with c I think
    (then again, I'm hardly going to pick on a) – am I ? 😳

julianwilson
    Free Member

trackstanding just for the hell of it. Grrrrrrrr… 👿

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘MTB Posers!’ is closed to new replies.