Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MTB offroad commute to station – tactics
  • sallen
    Free Member

I’m being tempted to ride to a different station so I can take in some singletrack on the way.

I have the right bike theoretically chosen – Vitus Nucleus VR 2016-17 – by all accounts a capable frame package with terrible enough components not to be a thief magnet (9×2 Altus drivetrain, square taper cranks etc).

What I can’t decide is other tactics. I’ll be ending at a station. There is indoor bike parking with CCTV, however it is a bike theft hotspot. I have shirts/suits etc and a shower in my office at the other end.

I want minimum faff on the day, but am happy to do the groundwork to acheive that.

Anyone actually do this type of commute? I’m thinking:

– Buy extra base layers and undershorts

– wear minimal protection (lid + gloves)

– Use a small pack with essential tools, tube, waterproof shell + small drink/snack bar

– Get waterproof overclothes for wet days

– at the station, leave wet shoes / overshorts / shell with the bike to ‘dry’ (drying will probably not actually occur) – perhaps secure with a flimsy cable lock (snowboard type) to put off jokers

Any other ideas? Spare base layer for ride home? Don’t leave clothes with bike?

Enlighten me with your bike-yoda wisdom people

mccagey
    Free Member

I am going to try an Altura Mayhem waterproof this year as it is cheap and can’t be any worse than the shit expensive ones I buy every other year.

You can find it in this guide Best Waterproof MTB Jackets under £100

If you find anything better let me know.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Don’t leave clothes with bike?

this. why would you? It seems like you are over complicating it.

What are you trying to achieve, a train journey in dry kit?

Gary_M
    Free Member

this. why would you? It seems like you are over complicating it.

This, why can’t you just travel on the train in your riding kit and get changed at work, then change before you head home on the train?

How far is your ride that you need a snack?

km79
    Free Member

Do people who leave bikes locked up at same place everyday carry a lock/chain/whatever with them back and forward each time or do they leave it locked in situ full time?

grannyjone
    Free Member

The latter! I leave the lock locked up at work permanent rather than carry it with me.
    I off road it all the way to work (well up to the town centre). The route I pick depends how muddy its going to be. If mud is suspected then the wildest routes are out of the question and the canal is used more. The commute is only 4 miles each way.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I do a similar route, but often start at a station and ride to work.

– Use work as your ‘cache’, keep clothes, towels, gear etc there
    – do the train journey in your bike kit as others have said
    – get a good lock
    – make sure bike tools/spares etc are well organised otherwise when you have to leave for the train(it won’t wait obviously) you’ll be rushing/forget something; this applies both at home and when you’re leaving your bike to actually get on the train
    – get a good lock

Hth

sallen
    Free Member

Yeah – will have a place to leave the lock.

I am trying to achieve a train journey sitting down it’s 45mins, but usually way longer.

Can’t go gettin train seats muddy – commuters aren’t the most tolerant, nor are train staff.

Was thinking just dump my windstopper / shell / overshorts / overshoes with the bike and get on the train as clean as possible.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

My son used to remove the seatpost/saddle when he left his bike. Thieves like to ride the bike away or put it in a van. If they are using a van then they are probably serious about their vocation and will only target pricey bikes. He had 4 stolen before he started doing this and none after.

thomthumb
    Free Member

– get a good lock

get two good locks. and learn to lock it properly.

I have the right bike theoretically chosen

shiny new bike is still shiny new bike. If it’s a theft hotspot i’d be tempted to paint it really badly. just rattle can the the frame and forks – remove decals.

sallen
    Free Member

Cheers – the locking I’ve got nailed (i have many good quality locks and there is a rack at the station to hang them from.

My main concern is keeping mud off my fellow commuters. Are overshoes a mtb thing?

I agree that a shiny new bike is probably a thief magnet – but I thinks that tape / rattle can seems to be less of a deterrent than people think.

With daily use, I imagine it’ll be looking pretty second hand quite quickly.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Dry bag(s) and a slightly larger pack to accommodate the wet gear, means you can strip on the train in the doorway if running late and dry your kit at work when you arrive.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MTB offroad commute to station – tactics’ is closed to new replies.