Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MTB levers with road brakes?
  • ajantom

I'm building up a touring/hacking bike for the missus: dinky road frame, 700c wheels, MTB mechs/shifters, straight bars, triple chainset, etc.

I've got most of the bits in the spares box, but was wondering – can you use MTB levers with road (caliper) brakes, or is the pull/throw going to be all wrong? Obviously I have to use road brakes due to the frame, but what levers to use on straight bars?

Cheers, Tom.

Ps – if anyone's got any 700c, 1 1/8" aheadset forks for sale I'd be interested.

cynic-al
    Free Member

std canti ones yes, v-brake ones will have less leverage and might be hard work/no modulation.

I'd be surprised if road calipers fitted on 1 1/8 AH forks…if that's relevant.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dunno about MTB levers, but there are some specific MTB-style levers for road brakes. Shimano M440 or something. Can't remember now…. But they do go cheap on Ebay, let me see if I can find some…………

glenp
    Free Member

You need levers that are designed for old-style canti brakes (not v brakes). Some Avid levers have adjustable mechanical advantage and will work with either brake type when set right.

clubber
    Free Member

As above, you need the flat bar brake levers (not mtb) that are designed to be used on hybrids to get the right cable pull.

glenp
    Free Member

Unless they're designed for hybrids with v brakes! Which most hybrids are.

Simple answer is – don't ride a road bike with flat bars!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can't find any on Ebay, but these are the ones you need

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34695

peachos
    Free Member

i've got an old xt v-brake lever running fine with a road canti brake

ajantom

I'd be surprised if road calipers fitted on 1 1/8 AH forks…if that's relevant.

You do get 1 1/8 road forks don't you? The frame is a Specialized Sequoia, which is designed for a 1 1/8" headset.

Cheers for the advice, I might have some older Avid levers somewhere, I'll dig em out to see if they're adjustable.

i've got an old xt v-brake lever running fine with a road canti brake

Actually thinking about it didn't some older shimano v-brake levers have a plastic bit you could move to change the leverage? Or did I dream that up!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I think you could be right ajantom. I know the current ST-EF50 combined brake and shifter units have that capability so it is certainly feasible.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

as said, cantilever levers will work with road calipers. Keep an eye out for SS7 levers as they are comfy and well made.

V brake levers pull too much cable for DPs and lead to a firm lever and not a lot of power.

Avid SD levers on their 'softest' setting just about work, but are still quite firm.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You do get 1 1/8 road forks don't you?

Yes – sorry I assumed you might be trying to bodge mtb forks on. I'd still check the drop is right for the brakes on whatever fork you get.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MTB levers with road brakes?’ is closed to new replies.