Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • mtb holiday – stay nearer Aviemore or Fort William?
  • alp_girl
    Free Member

… as title says, any advantage being nearer one or the other? Both places offer a week’s riding without much need to drive?

Expert advice appreciated 😛

thank you!

aviemoron
    Free Member

Aviemore! Way better singletrack, but then I’m biased.

juan
    Free Member

I went to aviemore and I absolutely loved it.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Depends on the kind of riding you want to do, do tell?

druidh
    Free Member

I’d tend to agree with the Aviemore option. Both have oodles of good riding nearby and access to the railway for even more options. I reckon Aviemore shades it as there’s more accessible without having to drive/road-cycle a long way to get there.

alp_girl
    Free Member

GreenRoom, hmmm, not sure there’s a name for it – cross country type riding with fun descents, don’t mind rock steps etc. but not “professional” downhill type stuff…

PS thanks for all the posts so far!!!

juan
    Free Member

ok it’s friday I am allowed….
    [mode supertarton]
    If you are hot and single you can come and ride down to Nice 😉
    [/mode superatart off]

GreenRoom
    Free Member

So Alp-girl, real trails rather than trail centres, singletrack cross country.

Yep I reckon Aviemore too. My memory of Fort Billyo riding is of very committing hard work, very challenging. Really good if that’s what you want, but it doesn’t sound like you do. Lots of good multi and big days out in the boonies, but much less of the simple easy going singletrack. The best routes around The Fort tend to be either landrover/forest tracks or uber technical rocky boggy walkers paths. If you head down to Kinlochleven some good trails start from there which are less technical.

There is good riding up the Fort but it’s quite spread out and needs a bit of driving. Aviemore is more accessible and is a notch down in terms of accessibility and rideability.

Just getting maps out to jog the memory……

Yeah much more stuff local to Aviemore. Check in at Bothy bikes for some trail ideas.

Cheers

alp_girl
    Free Member

woohoo, Juan, merci 😉 desolee though, I am not single – must be because I am indeed hot, eh :P? ***edit: this is meant to be the tounge-in-cheek smilie***

GreenRoom, thanks, that’s great advice, can’t say I’m overly keen on uber technical rocky boggy walkers’ paths 🙂 especially if I have to ride up a forest road and then end up walking downhill cause it’s too tricky – don’t want to have to take body armour with me on a cross country ride…

weetrailcat
    Free Member

Hi Alp_girl, have a look at http://www.handiadventures.co.uk, they may be able to help you out!?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘mtb holiday – stay nearer Aviemore or Fort William?’ is closed to new replies.