Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • MTB holiday at Christmas – where to go?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Obviously Morzine might not be ideal for the bike at Chrissie, so thinking about alternatives – not too fussed about distance, but wouldn’t go as far as Oz/NZ.

XC or DH both good.

Your suggestions please 🙂

wallop

Canary islands?

sheck

Mountain bike Kerala.

Potdog
    Free Member

It’s generally lovely and warm HERE at Christmas! 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Can highly recoomend MTB Kerala awesome trip out there or Morocco with cycle active.

d45yth
    Free Member

Apart from MTB Kerala, Mountain Biking Spain and another company that does trips to Chile, I’ve found it very hard to find companies that take folk over Xmas.
    If you’re going in a group, could you not download a load of routes and do it yourself? Might be a bit lonely if you were doing that yourself though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Who’s the company in Chile you’ve found? I can’t recommend the Kerala trip enough though, absolutely brilliant and Mick the guide is just awesome, it’s like riding with your mate!

grum
    Free Member

Majorca? A mate went in April and said it was really good – I imagine it’s quite mild in winter (and not too expensive).

Mackem

Down Malaga way, can still get up to 20c then.

davidisaacs
    Free Member

We at http://www.bikingandalucia.com, operating between the Sierra Nevada and the sea, Andalucia, southern Spain,operate all year round, including Christmas and New Year, last Christmas and New Year, our clients went home with a sun tan! we have the best climate (and trails) in Europe.

d45yth
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – I’ve forgotten the name of the company, it shouldn’t be to hard to find if your search for Chile/Argentina and Xmas. I’m sure the bloke who does it is UK based but his wife was from over there. I think they were 3 week trips with a few days hiking too. The terrain looked a bit tame for me, as there were a lot of gravel roads involved if I remember correctly. The trips weren’t cheap either. I would have searched for you but I’m on here using my phone.

David – Sorry, I should have remembered you too. I was the one who rang you last Xmas while I was in Spain!

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Experience an Andalucian Xmas or New Year down here on the Spanish coast.

Stunning singletrack enduro riding with plenty of bus uplift during the day & lively après-bike on the coast at night.
    http://www.sierracycling.com fantastic biking since 1992.

Marin
    Free Member

+1 for bikingandalucia. Nice trails and chilled out accomodation,chilled town,lots of bars and tapas. Good job for you David my painting was rained off today!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend Sierra Cycling heard great things about Switchbacks not sure whereabouts they are based though.

frank4short
    Free Member

Had a couple of days with Darren from lavatrax in Tenerife last week, can’t recommend him highly enough. Fantastic terrain with everything from XC to 2,000m 40km all mountain descents. Did 2 rides with him both had a fantastic variety of terrain with about 2000m of descent. Plus for mtbing I reckon canaries are probably the most weather safe option that’s easily accessible from Europe in the northern hemisphere at that time of year.

flatfish
    Free Member

@Munqe-chick
    I’m sure Alan’s had enough of your kind words from your other thread that EVERYONE on here probably read.
    I don’t want to get into another debate about Sierra Cycling, as it’s second on the google page, easy enough to find if somebody really wants.

Please just move on. 🙄

somafunk

I’m considering heading to Deia in Mallorca, got a friend who’s from the island, well…. she’s from france originally but her family had/have a house out there so i might see if i can get a cheap flight and “borrow” it pikey style, i need some heat and sun otherwise i’m gonna go freakin crazy this winter….next summer seems so-so long away.

ianv
    Free Member

The algarve, the downhill is excellent and the weather is in the 20s over christmas usually. I think Freeride Portugal has changed its name now but they were really good.

I thought the riding there was better than Malaga.

I used to be based in andalucia…very very good riding, But over christmas Ibiza perfect combination for XC every where you go there good climbs good descents fast caminos fast singletrack technical if you want it. Techy climbs up and down all day. We also have 5km of trails in a montainbike adventure park with obstacles for all abilities. Pics coming soon on Face book and web site. Check us out for next year.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Thanks for your opinion flatfish you are the one that brought that up, like every other thread on here people give recommendation and things to stay away from, just gave my opinion but not why, OP can then still make an informed decision. Plus you really have NO idea what actually went on behind the scenes with that either. Thank you for bringing it up again though …..

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Please consider us at http://www.bikingandalucia.com at the Sierra Nevada, Andalucia, Southern Spain, we have the best climate on mainland Europe, last Christmas our clients went home with a suntan !

joeegg
    Free Member

I lived in Southern Spain for 9 years and winter can be cold,especially if your at a bit of an altitude.My choice would be the Canaries.
    If you don’t mind not being on a package the Sierra Espuna is ace for mountain biking.Camping Sierra Espuna does log cabins and the staff will give you help with routes.Orange test prototypes in the Espuna.Fly in to Murcia airport and its just over an hour away.
    I can really recommend it if fancy something a bit different to the package stuff.

orangina
    Free Member

What about Portugal ? Contact Jim from Mountainbike Adventure in Lagos. I have been with his company in April 2 years ago and it was ace…
    http://www.themountainbikeadventure.com/

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m considering a trip in November…..will southern Spain still be warm enough or do I want to be looking at the Canaries? Must say I like the idea of riding volcanic rock.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not too fussed about distance then rule out Oz!! Will be warm here int tassie but lots of riding

davidisaacs
    Free Member

mcboo, Southern Spain (Andalucia)in the winter is normally characterised by warm, still, dry sunny days and cool nights, possibly better than the Canaries, where it can be wetter and windier, though less cool at night, check out our link on
    http://www.bikingandalucia.com/information.asp#weather
    and
    http://www.aemet.es/es (Spanish met office)

alexstumpy11
    Free Member

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘MTB holiday at Christmas – where to go?’ is closed to new replies.