Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mtb Demographics in the uk
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Morning,

has anybody got any knowledge of a study of the demographics for the mountain biking community, have looked about and while there are studies for cycling as a whole and some US stuff can't find one specifically for UK mtbers. Cheers.

MrNutt
    Free Member

quite simple:

Paperboys/girls
    IT Managers
    Divorcees
    Engineers
    Graphic Designers
    Those to shy to "dog"
    The Unemployed
    The Sick
    The Deranged

I hope thats cleared that up?

druidh
    Free Member

Damn. I think I only tick 3 of those boxes

5thElefant
    Free Member

98% are 36 and work in IT.

LoCo
    Free Member

was hoping for something a bit more in-depth………..

fadda

36, work in IT, and borderline impotent – there's a bit more detail…

bassspine
    Free Member

99.99% white

and I don't think that's a good thing

ononeorange

Not 36, not in IT but I do tick one a half boxes on MrNutt's post.

Sue_W
    Free Member

*switches on boring work brain even though it's Saturday*

LoCo – partly it depends on how you're defining 'mountain biking' and who you want to include. For example, many in the mtb industry will do their own survey's to find out demographics – for example a magazine might do a survey of it's readership, but this would be representative of 'those who read that magazine', not mountain bikers as a whole.

If you are after a more 'universal' (as in UK population) type of survey of mountain bikers, then the most statistically valid source of data would be from the big UK agencies that cover outdoor recreation – ie Natural England, Scottish Natural Heritage, and Countryside Council for Wales. I run the national survey for CCW (and there are equivalent surveys in NE and SNH). We include a category on 'off-road cycling and mountain biking', which means that we have a demographic profile for this activity, which is basically: mainly aged 16-24; 25-34; and 35-54; predonimantly male; white; more likely to be either students or employers / managers; have a higher than average annual income 9mostly between £50 – £80k); have a degree (or higher); have a car, and have children.

I suspect the demographic profile from the English and Scottish surveys would be similar. As they are all run by public agencies, the data from these surveys is publiclly available on request.

HTH

Sue

*switches off work brain*

LoCo
    Free Member

sue your a star thanks that's exactly what I was looking for, and sorry for making you adjust your brain!
    Had looked at the magazines surveys was quite surprised on average people can read MBUK for 4hr 37 mins!
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to turn my 'work brain' off for a year or so………………..

Sue_W
    Free Member

no worries LoCo, glad it is of use

Oh, the 'annual income' is the 'household income', not the 'individual income'

Cheers

fbk
    Free Member

Blimey – I don't really fit into either of the above demographics! Does that make me "special" 🙂

Ah, hang on. I am male, white and a bit deranged….

whippersnapper
    Free Member

between £50 – £80k

really! That's very high. Almost twice the national median income that is.

scuttles off to find a different job.

tankslapper
    Free Member

PMSL @ Mr Nutt!

Although the list should include:

Those who have a friend with a problem
    Those with moral dilemas
    Hora
    😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"mostly between £50 – £80k"

I knew it, we're poor 🙁

alpin
    Free Member

there was a thread a while back "who are you and what do you do" (or similar) and lots of people gave their job title, age and earnings.

one guy then went through the whole thread and worked out (roughly) the demographics of STW.

the end result was that there were lots of coppers, IT workers and most people here earnt more than the UK national average.

i can say that i am not (and never will be) a copper and that i expect never to earn much more than the national average.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mtb Demographics in the uk’ is closed to new replies.