Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MTB clipless pedals or road pedals for CX bike?
  • myles91
    Free Member

Need some pedals for my CX bike, it will be used for mainly road riding, commuting and not a lot of off road.

Thought of using some platforms but just wanted to see what people are using on their CX bikes. I’ve heard mtb clipless are a little easier to clip in and out + I already have some lying about (never used though) so would only need to purchase shoes.

Not sure what the main differences are, it’s a bit of mind field being new to the road scene.. Is there really much of a difference that I will notice between road pedal + road shoe vs mtb pedal and mtb shoe?

vincienup
    Free Member

I use flats on my full sus and M530 spds on everything else including my daily commuter. I have a pair of new ones sitting waiting for the nice new Cotic X that is due shortly… 🙂

M530’s ftw! The fact it’s nearly as cheap (19.99) to buy a pair from the usual places as if is to buy a pair of new cleats at around £14 (which you get with the pedals anyway) just makes it even less of a question… At that sort of price the lack of serviceability that people will throw at the M530 really doesn’t concern me.

I’m told that road spds will give less chance of your foot hot-spotting on long rides than with mtb spds (the three point mount spreads load better maybe) but mtb spds are definitely winners when it comes to muddy feet and clipping in.
    I think it comes down to what you already have and intended use. I’ve never come across said hot spotting but don’t disbelieve it exists – just that I’ve not done long enough rides in spds to find it (used to use platforms and skate shoes for everything…)

If your CX bike is never CX’ing or trail riding and is going to be a commuter then road cleats may suit more if you don’t have mtb clipless stuff already. Cleat systems aren’t compatible so it’s new pedals, shoes and cleats to change.

If you already have a clipless system, maybe fit the pedals and see how you like it before committing to replacing everything!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You will end up trashing the plastic road cleat things if you get off and walk, not as good for off road or anything other than road riding. I do get a few hotspots in my spd shoes but nothing that bad.

If you have something common with the rest of your bikes then you are shoe compatible anyway, nice shoes for nice days, crappy mtb ones for crap days.

I have CB’s over all mu bikes, candies on the road bike and mallets on the mountain bikes. Great setup. They also clear mud really well if your going down that route.

Kevevs
    Free Member

use what you have lying about if spd’s and get used to them for a while 520’s? get a pair of cheap shoes and cleats off classifieds like wot I did. you’re good to go. The difference between flat and clipped pedals is amazing once you are CONVERTED like me bzzzzzzzzzzzz. It’s a purposeful kind of efficiency and you feel you are really riding a bike and not cheating!

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you’ve already got SPD’s lying about use em. Road SPDs will need road shoes and they’re a PITA to walk in.

cynic-al
    Free Member

def mtb – road shoes are hopeless for walking in.

jonba
    Free Member

As above use MTB ones. Better for walking in, easier to clip in and out at junctions. People complain of hotspots but it isn’t always a problem. Might be a shoe fit thing more then a pedal thing IMO.

myles91
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I have never used clip less pedals the ones I have lying around are pretty old and came on a bike I bought last year which were swapped for flats straight away. So I need to buy shoes anyway.. When you say hot spotting does that mean you get a lot of heat coming through the shoes?

I’m thinking a MTB system makes more sense then just get a road system if I ever get a road dedicated bike. The pedals I have are shimano m535 anybody know anything about these?

ocrider

You already have some spd pedals, the 535s will be perfect for the job so go to an lbs and try some shoes on. You don’t say how far your commute will be, but if you are mainly on the road, you want something with a fairly stiff sole.

Hotspots are tender bits on the ball of your foot. It’s a foot/pedal contact area interface thing that may be remedied by adjusting your riding position, getting some stupidly expensive custom footbeds or by sliding the cleat back a little. It might even be prevented by getting a decent fitting shoe in the first place, which is my totally unqualified, yet pragmatic, opinion*.

*Like a ski-boot, any rubbing is going to amplify itself over time, so you get the one that fits as close to perfect as possible to start with.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MTB clipless pedals or road pedals for CX bike?’ is closed to new replies.