• This topic has 28 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by colp.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • MTB Buddy Chester ish
  • texxaco
    Free Member

Hey all,

Just got back into Mtbing, live near Delamere forest and looking for a buddy to ride with who doesn’t mind showing me the ropes every now and then.

I am 46, going on 15 with a new FS bike, dont want to be all the gear no idea hence the request plus it would be good to chat bikes as my girls aren’t that interested.

Cheers

Pete

turq

Hi Pete and welcome back.

I live on the other side of Delamere and have been riding/making trails/hurting myself there since 1989, so know the place pretty well.

I ride with the fellas at twelve50bikes in Frodsham a lot and help lead their Wednesday night ride when I can get back from work in time. There’s a good few of us who head out and a wider bunch who ride a the weekend too.

Have a look at the twelve50 facebook page and come along some time.

Delamere is a bit of a bog fest at the minute, never drains well during the winter but there’s miles of singletrack in there if you know where to look.

Cheers, Ross

craig24
    Free Member

Hi Peter,

Worth checking out Woollybacks plenty of them ride over at Delamere regulary.

colp

Hi mate.
    I run the cafe at Delamere (not the railway station one).
    I’m a bit smashed up at the moment (just had a bad crash at Leogang) but I’ll be getting out again in the next few weeks during the days. General medium paced riding with plenty of stops for jumps etc and having a mess about.
    Col

texxaco
    Free Member

Hi Col,

Thanks for the reply to my first post.

Can’t tell you how much money I have spent in your cafe over the years, whether it be hot chocolate or ice creams.

Sorry to hear of your tumble, hope you get well soon and your injuries don’t hinder your riding.

I try to get out in Delamere in a weekend, so I will pop in and ask for you, be good to hear your tales.

Catch up

Pete

marcus7
    Free Member

Somewhat embarrassingly i live within 10 mins of the forest but haven’t been in ages….. well apart from with the kids…. 😳

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another local here.
    Well, I’m in Northwich.
    Regularly get out and ride, so sing out if you’re free, would happily catch up.

rossa
    Free Member

Another local here from Northwich. Quite often down to Delamere using the Oakmere and Whitegate Way which is a nice off-road route there.

marcus7
    Free Member

I really should get out…. riding my cx round there is errr interesting, the mud will be getting nice and soupy now id imagine.

texxaco
    Free Member

the mud will be getting nice and soupy now id imagine

@ marcus7 You should of seen it on Sunday, wheels deep in the mud off track in the forest, came of a few times. Reminded me I need knee pads sharpish.

Teetosugars, Rossa, have to say I thought I was the only person who owned a MTB in Delamere as never see anyone else, or am I out riding when every sane person is having a lie in?

Rossa, I have noticed the Whitegate Way as drive over it a lot on my way to the M56. Looks quite clear and a good place to learn manuals lol.

bakey

I used to love the Monday night ride in Delamere; haven’t been in ages…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Teetosugars, Rossa, have to say I thought I was the only person who owned a MTB in Delamere as never see anyone else, or am I out riding when every sane person is having a lie in?

I’ve not been in for a while, as the conditions are so dire at the minute..

I normally ride in from Northwich, down the river to Winsford, then along the Whitegate way, onto the Oakmere Way, and then in..

To be fair, I’ve been doing a lot more out in the Peak/ Wales/Lakes lately, my wife bought me a full suss, so keen to rekindle my love for it..

texxaco
    Free Member

Teeotsugars, I haven’t ridden my FS outside of Delamere yet although I do want to get to Wales on it. I need to get my level of fitness up before a trip to Wales me thinks.

Where in Wales do you go?

marcus7
    Free Member

Monday night rides died off a few years back…. i was there almost every week. My fitness tailed off and i started to struggle and no one wants to be fat dad at the back…..

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Where in Wales do you go?

I’m juts getting back into it too, after a long lay off, so, so far, mainly just all the trail centres..

‘Degla, Penmachno, Coed Y Brenin etc.

Having said that, just done a long weekend at Afan..

All good.

Marmoset
    Free Member

There’s still a few of us go out on Mondays if work & weather situations line up.

flowergirl
    Free Member

I remember the Delamere Monday Night Rides. Good times, great banter and all gathering round the cake tins at the end of the ride 😀
    What happened? Did we all just grow up? Did we all get broken? ( I know Dave did!) Did we get old? They were good times…….. miss them……..especially the people………

marcus7
    Free Member

Marmoset/ flowergirl ….. happy days indeed…. ( im currently sporting too much weight and not enough fitmness…)

Marmoset
    Free Member

Yep, I think it’s the people you ride with that make you get out in even the worst conditions.

commander
    Free Member

Lord above this is making me nostalgic for the Monday Delamere rides, probably 50% of my riding now is at night but mostly on the road.
    I’ve been thinking of getting out in Delamere again of an evening so this thread will probably push me into it. I didnt think anyone was still doing them but sounds like I may even bump into people.
    Debs if you cant make it is there any chance you can just leave some cakes for me round the back of the station?

Marmoset
    Free Member

So you want to see Debs buns around the back of the station? 😆

ninkynonk
    Free Member

Another “retired” rider here, live on the Wirral and used to ride Delamere a lot but fitness is totally shot now and I hate being crap and slow at the back.

If anyone wants a glacial pace ride round Delamere shout up!

tthew

Weaverham here. Generally ride in Delamere on the first Saturday of the month as I herd Weaver Valley cycling club off road rides. We, (although possibly I, as a few of the regulars aren’t going) are off to Llandegla this weekend by way of a change.

Maybe we could organise a weekend few hours for a local meet over the next few weeks. There’s more Delamere locals on here than I realised.

colp

I’d be up for that, not sure how long I’m off the bike, got a nasty AC joint separation amongst other injuries.

Hopefully back out soon

tthew

Oof. You’re going to have problems with airport metal detectors for a while! Get well soon.

rossa
    Free Member

There is a Thursday night ride at Delamere run by Tracs:

http://www.delamerebikes.co.uk/training-and-events/thursday-night-rides

Keep planning to get there but always seen to have work on late on a Thursday!

Maybe the first 9th will be my first!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Have you looked at http://www.chestermtb.org/

They used to like a slow pootle, chat, cake etc. Website/forum seems pretty quiet but I assume they’re still going in some form or other (it must be 10yrs since I went out with them).

ninkynonk
    Free Member

I used to ride with Chestermtb.org great banter but sadly they are no more

colp

tthew – Member
    Oof. You’re going to have problems with airport metal detectors for a while! Get well soon.

Cheers fella! I should start calming it down a bit at my age really.

Hey ninkynonk, where about on the Wirral are you?
    I’m in Higher Bebington but ride over to Thurstaston sometimes.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘MTB Buddy Chester ish’ is closed to new replies.