Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MTB boots/shoes for mountains
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Looking at replacing my old Shimano MT91 hiking boots as after 5 odd years they are getting holes in. Ok for summer but by September will need new boots.
    They need to be suited to riding in the Lakes where it’s wet and rocky. I like ankle protection, at least on the inside. A sole that can climb while you bike a bike and isn’t a hard plastic nightmare – think Vibram. Being either quick drying or waterproof would be good, or both.
    Pondering new Shimano XM9 boots, ME7 or AM9, with the XM9s the favourite. Anything else I should be looking at?

jonathan
    Free Member

Mavic Crossmax boots? I’ll be looking at then when my Alpine XLs die (which seems to be taking a long time!). Contragrip soles suitably grippy in a wide range of conditions

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What size? I have some MT90s I bought second hand and never used. Was thinking yesterday I need to shift them on.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

My MT91s are still going strong fortunately.

I recently spotted someone with some nice Giro boots that looks more like the XM9, and I reckon they’re worth a look.

One thing to note (potentially) if you’re looking at going mail-order. I recently bought some XM7s, which are the ‘non-boot’ version of the XM9 and they’re slightly bigger than all my other Shimano shoes in the same size. I’m a 43, and always go 44 with Shimano, but these XM7s actually are like a true 44, so I should have gone with a 43. Not sure if all the XM range work out larger than their other shoes ?

Shackleton

I’ve just replaced my alpine xls with deemax elites to cover the same sort of stuff you talk about and are quick drying. I’ve never found a shoe that will keep water out so prefer to just wear seal skins.

Del

lake

tomaso
    Free Member

Mavic are too narrow for my Hobbit feet.
    Giro are a good shout.
    Not sure which Lake shoes have a sole suitable to wet off camber bedrock?

@pimpmasrerjazz 11 or 46

scotroutes

NorthWave Gran Canion

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Only Whats Necessary shoes, check those out

tomaso
    Free Member

OWN shoes are for flats and I ride clips.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MTB boots/shoes for mountains’ is closed to new replies.