Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • MTB Backpack Thoughts
  • Freester

My trusty old Camelbak Mule broke yesterday. One of the shoulder straps tore from the webbing. I can get the Mother in Law to repair it with her sewing machine but don’t think it will be ready in time for the Dyfi this weekend.

So looking around. Merlin are doing good deals on 2010 / 11 Mules. But then I started thinking… I’ve got 2 perfectly serviceable Camelbak waterholders. I can buy any backpack I like, as long as it has a holder for the hydration. What packs should I be considering…?

TIA

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve just got an Evoc cc 16ltr pack and it’s much better than the Camelback Mayhem it replaced, much better fit, wider straps means it doesn’t move about on your back, not quite as well organised as a Camelbak pack but i think the way it fits is more important. I got mine free when i subsribed to MBR – worked out cheaper than to buy the pack new.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Don’t get anything too big or you’ll end up carrying a load of crap that you’ll never ever use. 😕

Freester

Cheers for the quick replies. @Dibbs good advice – that why I’m not looking at HAWGs ‘coz I don’t need it and will end up carrying a ton of crap I don’t need 😆

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mr MC’s 1998 Camelbak Mule has just had the webbing pocket fail! He’s refusing to replace it and expecting me to sew it up again! I don’t think so sweetheart .. I keep signalling to all these Camelbak threads in the hope that he won’t be so tight and will treat himself to something new!

Shackleton

Osprey raptor or Evoc CC16. Both cope better with a fully water bladder than camelbacks.

weejase40
    Free Member

i’ve just changed from MULE to a DAKINE apex.it is 25ltr,but as well as MTB i can use on my bike to work and get a laptop in there when i need too. you don’t HAVE to fill it and compresses down quite small.And the straps are wider and more comfortable than the MULE.
    Dakines grafter(drafter?) is MULE size and is just a smaller version of the Apex. Easy access pockets for my inhaler were key too, you can get access to them without taking off your pack.

jedi

dakine nomad or apex if im coaching. 🙂

anto164
    Free Member

Don’t camelbaks have lifetime guarantees? 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Osprey +1

SimonPinson

Osprey Raptor +1

After a year of abuse I just found a small hole in the bite valve so it leaked a little. One email to Osprey and they quickly despatched a new bite valve to me in Munich.

Top service and a great pack, so well thought out.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Dakine Apex for me. Huge for carrying loads of guiding stuff. Works well. Moves about a bit if it’s totally full but if I minimise my stuff then it’s more fixed. I put some thoughts of it up on my web: Dakine Apex Review

MSP

I have an osprey talon 11, very light and comfortable, much lighter than the camelback lobo which has a smaller capacity. Will be buying a talon 5.5 when money allows.
    If your shorter than me then its going cheap here-

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/osprey-talon-5-5/p5126

_tom_
    Free Member

Dakine nomad for me. can just about squeeze a 7D in the main compartment with food beneath it and in the other pockets.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Just retired my old Mule. Its been replaced with an Osprey Talon 11, great sack and well thought out, the pockets on the hip belt are handy for quick access to camera/phone/gps and it feels a lot better on the back than Mule.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Check out a wingnut. Had one for a few years now. Sits nice and low on the back, feels better to me when riding than a camelback did.

toys19
    Free Member

oooh I love my wingnut . spokeshirts spokebloke had them for a good price a while back.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ve gone from camelback to evoc cc and just got a wingnut and it’s worlds apart so much more comfortable and stable and sits low so no sweaty back, I can’t recommend it enough riding yesterday was a pleasure with it I felt cooler more confident with not having a bag moving around and more comfortable
    Have both a camelback lobo or an evoc cc 16 litre for sale if anyone interested?

racefaceec90

sorry to hijack your thread Freester but can anyone recommend a camelback compatable backpack that can hold a couple of u locks (always better to be safe than sorry i always say 😉 as well as tools e.t.c there are some times that i need to lock my bike up,but my mule cannot fit u locks in it (so have to resort to water bottle on bike and a rucksack)cheers 🙂

CampbellCoaching
    Free Member

Gotta be Dakine or Osprey really, check them both out and decide, have both and use both, Osprey is lighter and has some ace little features like a cool helment clip, Dakine is tops for ruggedness and pockets for the right things.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘MTB Backpack Thoughts’ is closed to new replies.