Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • M&S trying to renew me at £767!!!!
  • AlexSimon

How can I get leverage to make them reduce it?

In a straw poll at the pub, others were paying approx £400 for similar cover from M&S.
    I’ve been with them for about 7 years and it started at about £400 and has steadily risen annually.
    I’ve only ever claimed for 1 pair of glasses (accidental damage) in that time.

Only odd thing was that it looks like the excesses are all ‘£0’ which I don’t remember being the case when I claimed for my glasses.

Cheers
    Alex

donsimon
    Free Member

How can I get leverage to make them reduce it?

Erm! Go to the competition?

z1ppy

go to there website and get a new customer quote, go back to M&S with that and your old quote… ask them to correct it?
    Customers who show loyalty to insurance companies, lets put it nice “get taken up the back door”, they don’t do you any favours. ALways get a new customer quote for any insurance you have.

EDIT: DS – unfortunately not all insurnance companies have the same level of cover, especially bike wise. Hense why he may prefer to stay with M&S

uplink
    Free Member

as above but go though top Cashback for another £45 off

donsimon
    Free Member

EDIT: DS – unfortunately not all insurnance companies have the same level of cover, especially bike wise. Hense why he may prefer to stay with M&S

Ah! The old customer not happy to pay supplier for supplied goods/service but not willing to go to the competiton dilemma, I’ve got you. 😉

AlexSimon

Ah! The old customer not happy to pay supplier for supplied goods/service but not willing to go to the competiton dilemma, I’ve got you.

I’m happy to pay the going rate – not the ‘let’s see what we can stiff him for’ rate.

Rod

We pay about £1k a year now with M&S but that’s mainly because we had 3 claims within a year or so (and our no claims protection only allowed max 1 claim in a year I think). Now we can’t go elsewhere because no where will take you on with that number of claims…

matthewlhome
    Free Member

get a new customer quote from the website. then phone them up and tell them you dont want to take the renewal. then purchase the new policy from the website.

I did this – when i called up and asked if they would reduce the renewal they just said to get it from the website! The difference is significant. As above though, no one else seems to offer comparable cover. Also worth playing with the voluntary XS on the website as can make a significant difference, as well as removing uneccessary insurances.

BrickMan

my insurance now is MORE than it was when I was 17 and driving a higher category car.
    Now have lower category car, 7yrs NCB and am over 25. But still, its more? WTF
    I see why the number of UN-insured is so high. thanks to petrol cost and other things I only use my car when I cannot walk/run/cycle there. which makes the stupid insurance cost from only a few pennies a mile, to THE largest cost in my fiscal year.
    AND if I ever had to claim on it they wouldn’t give me anything like the actual cost of replacing the car.
    WHY as englanders do we put up with this bollocks?

vinnyeh

Because you’re English? cf, queuing for inadequate service, overcrowding on trains.

Sundayjumper

You tell us. Why are you putting up with it ? What have you done to change the insurance industry ?

Apart from making whining bitchy posts on the internet, obviously. That doesn’t count.

BrickMan

😉

I make more journeys by bike, running or walking than ever before, but technically, per journey this costs me more.
    Which I figure, many other people make the same assumption (or can’t be arsed to actually get off their arses) and then just hand over the cash.

What am I doing about it? Soon I will work in the same town (or within 5miles) that I work, and I’ll get rid of car. If I need to go further afield a streetcar like scheme or rental will do job, and TBH for the amount of use they would get vs. current set-up, would be 1x Santa Cruz LT frame PER ANNUM better off.

Don’t get me wrong, I **** LOVE cars, could talk all day about them, mucking about & restoring retro’s but at this stage in my life, personally I could do without them.
    Bitchy whiney internet posts is what makes the world go round don’t you know 😉

totalshell

as i found out last week many companies now charge existing customers more than the on line quote each time i triesd to buy the online quote i was reffered to HO. there response wasnt that it was a first year price to snare you in but that the ongoing price was higher because they;d had to store my application details whilst i had been a customer. then you start to find out that ll the copmpanies are all linked and that all thier affiliates will not honour there quoted prices either and i’m 48 and never made a claim in my life..

clubber
    Free Member

As above. I’ve been with M&S for 7 years. Every year the renewal is a silly number so I cancel each year and renew on the website. No problems. They won’t match the online price so it is necessary to cancel each year (as they advised me the first time).

FWIW, it’s by raising customers’ premiums which many don’t query that they are able to offer better rates to new customers so I wouldn’t really complain too much…

AlexSimon

Thanks for the tips. I naively thought that if I entered the new insurance, it would match the data to the old one and show the same price.
    How wrong I was.
    Renewal: £767
    Online: £474 (and also £45 quidco)

So that’s from £63/month to £39/month

Absolutely ridiculous. I also have to do this with the AA and my car insurance every year. Bloody tedious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘M&S trying to renew me at £767!!!!’ is closed to new replies.