Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Mrs Skip hit a child this morning in the car, can we claim off them??
  • kimbers

a small kid (12ish?)on one of them wee scooter things stepped out in front of me on my cycle home last year i missed him and hit his scooter broke my ankle and my heel was housebound for 6 weeks and off work for 9 (my boss was furious- but i did get to spend all the time with my 6month old son!))

i suppose i could have tried to sue the kid, but quite frankly i was just glad he was ok and that i didnt need surgery, pins plates etc

id have a word with her parents about damage to the car, trauma to your missus, her attitude on facebook etc if they want to offer you some cash far enough, if not take the hit and be thankful its only a dented bonnet

Klunk
    Free Member

there’s a family of pheasants still paying through the beak for my cracked windscreen !

float
    Free Member

why cant the childs family be sorry for their child causing damage to the car and cough up, at least a little bit 😕

takisawa2

I ran a little lad over some years ago. Little Asian boy, about 6 or 7 in Birmingham. I was devastated. Thankfully he was ok, just badly shaken. Poor little mite. It was like slow motion as he ran out between two cars, but I just couldnt do anything. Managed to swerve so the wing & mirror took most of it. Small as he was he took the wing mirror off the car. I didnt go after him for compensation. I’d have gladly bought a hundred new wing mirrors just to know he was ok. Its a child, & children do daft things.

I think I’d just be glad this girl was ok.

Bit different if its some vindictive scrote with a football, or riding one of these mini motorbikes, but its what a protected bonus is for I suppose.

Lifer
    Free Member

Think people are jumping off the depend in regards to claiming on this. Skiprat and his missus have to pay for repairs that were caused by someone else, why should they?

If they were to claim for whiplash or emotional distress (although I imagine it was very distressing!) on top then I can see why people would have a problem.

As it is, it was the girl’s fault. Worth a claim IMO, I certainly couldn’t afford a few hundred (?) quids worth of repair if it happened to me.

skiprat
    Free Member

Things could of been a lot worse and no i wouldn’t of even thought about this had it been a young child or an accident that was mrs skips fault……

….but when your 12, you kind of know not to run into the road when cars are moving. Fingers crossed my mrs gets over it soon.

imnotverygood

Um.. are you not supposed to drive in such a way as to stop in time should anyone step into the road. You might think it is unfair but that is the way it works.If it went to court the driver would be held to be at least partially liable.

v8ninety

Happened to me when I was a kid (getting hit, my fault, fractured wrist, nothing terrible). My parents never even questioned who should pay, it was obviously my (and therefor, their) fault and liability. They payed up without needing to be asked.

The real question here is not who is liable, but rather is there any likelihood of the family of the child seeing it the same way and doing the right thing.

Lifer
    Free Member

imnotverygood – Member
    Um.. are you not supposed to drive in such a way as to stop in time should anyone step into the road. You might think it is unfair but that is the way it works.If it went to court the driver would be held to be at least partially liable.

Any evidence for that?

Klunk
    Free Member

would you be asking if the girl was dead/seriously injured ?

IHN

Um.. are you not supposed to drive in such a way as to stop in time should anyone step into the road. You might think it is unfair but that is the way it works.

You can’t anticipate that everyone may jump in front of your car, otherwise you’d never move

If it went to court the driver would be held to be at least partially liable.

Not necessarily, in fact in this case (with the limited facts at hand) probably not.

project
    Free Member

So you take the parents to court, and if you loose you will have a large legal bill to pay, as well as the kids parents may not have suitable cover for accidents involving their kids, or non at all.

It must have been a real shock for your poor wife, and i wish her the best in her recovery, which will be traumatic, as she relives the event.

IHN

would you be asking if the girl was dead/seriously injured ?

Well, she’s not, she’s demonstrably fine, so what’s your point?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

“isn’t this exactly the sort of thing that your insurance is supposed to cover?”

That would be fine if insurance companies took a “sometimes sh!t just *does* happen view”, but instead if you can’t point the finger at someone else, it has to be your own fault, and not only does it cost you your excess, it affects your No Claims Bonus, and will end up costing you every time you renew for the next 3 years, even though it *wasn’t* your fault in the first place.

v8ninety

Of course, if it was a dog, them obviously NOT the owners fault, they’ve got a mind of their own… 😉

lightman
    Free Member

I think you should at least ask for a contribution, if not the full amount.
    If you were the person doing the suing in this case, i would be saying something completely different! ~ WTF!

thegreatape
    Free Member

The test is whether the accused’s driving falls below the standard expected of a reasonable, prudent and competent driver in all the circumstances of the case. Of course, the speed and manner of the driving should take into account the children on the pavement, but you can’t crawl past every pedestrian at 1 mph. The OP stated that the police spoke to witnesses and were satisfied that his wife’s driving was acceptable, or words to that effect.

Klunk
    Free Member

Well, she’s not, she’s demonstrably fine, so what’s your point?

why not ? the damage to the car would be the same, there would still be a claim and damage to pay for. You could hand them the invoice at the funeral.

v8ninety

So you take the parents to court,

It Shouldn’t come to that, the parents of said silly sturdy child should do the right thing and cough up.

project
    Free Member
    chipsngravy
    Free Member

Move on and forget about it.

IHN

why not ? the damage to the car would be the same, there would still be a claim and damage to pay for

Okay, I think you know you’re stretching the point.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

My SO had the exact same thing happen in May last year, with £1,350 worth of damage to her car – after a few months of questioning, even though the 13 year old Girl had said it was her fault and she had just walked out into the road without looking, there was no-where we could go with a claim, only to the girls parents with the bill for our excess, as we guessed that wouldn’t go anywhere, we left it alone – still does nothing for the other halfs confidence. It has also affected her passenger seat driving skills too, she now jumps at anything.
    Sorry to say but I certainly think your SO will remember this for a while, definately longr than the kid will….!!!

MrNutt
    Free Member

a similar thing happened to me a couple of year ago; Driving in slow moving traffic (about 5mph) and this kid came flying out of a side road on his bike and few straight over my bonnet. Naturally I got out, asked the kid if he was ok, naturally threw him in the hedge and drove off with his bike.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If it was an adult, you might get somewhere, but with a child? No chance.

Klunk
    Free Member

Okay, I think you know you’re stretching the point.

so where’s the cut off point ?, bit of bruising or a broken leg is ok, sue away. Brain damage errr maybe, life support and death beyond the pale ?

jonba
    Free Member

What sort of insurance have you got? If you have a decent level of cover they may help/do this for you. In any event I wouldn’t be suprised if they go after the parents insurance company to recover their losses.

I assume all the correct reporting has been done to the police?

Personally I’d deal with it through the insurance company rather than going direct.

IHN

so where’s the cut off point ?, bit of bruising or a broken leg is ok, sue away. Brain damage errr maybe, life support and death beyond the pale ?

It would depend on the circumstances, wouldn’t it? In this case, the child is fine. If there were more serious injuries then I’m sure that the OP would be making a different decision. It’s a judgement call, and one into which he’s asking for some input.

skiprat
    Free Member

Jonba, shes fully comp and from what she said on the phone to them, i get the feeling they will be after them for anything they can get.

My mrs called for the police and ambulance and after a 5-10 second “what the f#*k just happened” moment went into nurse mode and treated the girl. Just got to go to the police station tomorrow and produce her paperwork.

It just boils my piss that a girl of 12 (not 5,6 or 7) will just run into the road through some parked cars into a road full of moving cars. She has changed my wifes life, (and yes it could of been worse) but her mum and dad said it was only a matter of time before it happened to her.

Thanks for not teaching your kid the green cross code!!

And i’m not even going to answer what i’d be doing if the child had died.

Its just with her mum saying about her being on Facebook about it all afternoon, just hacks me off.

Ta

mattsccm
    Free Member

You have a moral obligation to get your danages paid for.
    Just why should that child and by implication their parent get away with it when you are out of pocket.
    I don’t suppose by any chance you are a CTC member or anything? Just to help. Please do it and hopefully set a precedent.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How is the child supposed to pay?

rickmeister

Filtering some traffic on my motorbike, kid runs out between two large vans. He spots me and we both slowed almost to the point of stopping but we made contact and he ended up sitting in the road in front of me.

Mum appears, pulls the kid up off the road by his shirt collar and wallops him really hard, much harder than the collision with me. She then asks if I am ok, closely followed by crossing the road towing said child with her…

Remarkable…

v8ninety

TJ, the child’s owner parents are liable, surely?

ransos
    Free Member

It just boils my piss that a girl of 12 (not 5,6 or 7) will just run into the road through some parked cars into a road full of moving cars.

If you’re saying that she’s responsible for her own actions, then why should her parents pay?

FWIW I understand why you’re angry, but I think in this case “can” is not the same as “should”.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I reckon that as long as your Mrs is absolutely positive that she drove with absolutely all due care and attention given the conditions (traffic/parked cars/large groups of kids walking along the pavement or whatever) and it couldn’t be bent or twisted, then try suing for costs/small claims against parents/guardian.
    Not having a dig like, but ‘they’ might.

NB take screen shots/ print outs of Facebook details now .. posts on facebook can always be removed.

Maybe just do a tester letter to begin with; a lot of folks have personal injury/accident/legal assitance on their contents insurances nowadays; EDIT – I do for precisely this kind of thing but on-bike

Del

if the OP’s partner’s insurance choose to, they will attempt to recover their expenses from the family. just let them do what they do. the OP apparently is not at fault, and ( practically speaking ) we know that insurance companies will always load you after an accident, even if it is ‘no fault’, but i’m afraid that just seems to be life.
    so, as above, let your insurance deal with it how they see fit, but i’d strongly fight any attempt by them to recover any money from you at all – excess or no.

oink
    Free Member

skiprat – Member
    …but her mum and dad said it was only a matter of time before it happened to her.

she’s under 16 and so her parents are still responsible for her actions – get the money off them – maybe it’ll encourage them to teach her some better road sense.

Riksbar

It just boils my piss that a girl of 12 (not 5,6 or 7) will just run into the road through some parked cars into a road full of moving cars. for not teaching your kid the green cross code!!

Its just with her mum saying about her being on Facebook about it all afternoon, just hacks me off.

In order to be eligible to sign up for Facebook, people must be thirteen (13) years of age or older.

You could always get her banned 😈

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Not read all that, obviously, but back to the OP’s Q….

Many moons ago I went through the back window of a stationary car while cycling (front mech problem…. looking down…. looking down…. through rear window of car…. sh!t that hurts….). Clearly my fault, parents house insurance covered it no issues – most policies have a 3rd party cover included for just this kind of thing.

MrNutt
    Free Member

offer to send the child on holiday then route it to an iphone factory till its earned enough to pay for the damage

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Mrs Skip hit a child this morning in the car, can we claim off them??’ is closed to new replies.