Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mrs MarsdenMan – link to charity page
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

Okay – so this is a bit blatant as I have posted this on Chris’s thread already but as Chris will confirm I can be a right stubborn / pushy / bolshy little sod 🙄 at times so here is it again ….. as well as a big THANK YOU for everyones’ words of support, it really helps and really means a lot.

Hello – Mrs MarsdenMan here,
    We’re staying somewhere without wifi at the moment so Chris can’t post so I’ve just popped out to do this update / extract from my FB page. Yup – it’s about fundraising and I know lots of people are raising money for lots of good causes so please don’t feel you have to ….

It’s also about awareness and reminding people that lung cancer doesn’t just affect older people / smokers and if people have that stereotype in mind they might miss early signs for either themselves or a loved one. Over the last few weeks I’ve heard of quite a few people of Chris’s ages & younger , with fit healthy life styles who have been diagnosed at a late stage, so anything that can be done to raise awareness and help people get diagnosed at an earlier more treatable stage is a good thing.

https://defeatlungcancer.everydayhero.com/uk/gary

“My brother Gary is doing the Manchester 10k this Sunday (18th May) and asked Chris & I if we wanted to nominate a charity for sponsorship. We’ve decided to nominate the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation. This charity is specifically about Lung Cancer and isn’t always supported as well as others as there is often a misconception that it is a “self inflicted smokers’ disease”
    If you have a pair of lungs you could get lung cancer and about 1 in 10 people who get it are non smokers so everyone needs to be aware and mindful of the symptoms.
    Lung Cancer does not have very high 5 year survival rates compared to many other cancers and is often detected at a late stage due to some of the symptoms being similar to coughs, colds, chest infection etc.
    Chris has only been diagnosed at a late stage – surgery wasn’t an option & we’ve stopped chemotherapy as it wasn’t working and making Chris feel worse.
    If us raising awareness means even one other person gets diagnosed earlier in time for a successful treatment/surgery then that’ll be a job well done
    If you can donate something that’ll be great – but don’t worry if not as there are lots of people out there being sponsored for lots of great causes – just help raise awareness.

Please share as you feel appropriate – Thanks, Sharon & Chris (and Ted the Dog obviously)

Sandwich

Link saved until payday. Keep the fundraising going until then.

Bunnyhop

I hope the weather is kind to you this Sunday Gary.

Sharon – thanks for sharing this.

It’s a charity close to my heart. Come on people, dig deep.

J. xx

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

put me down for a tenner, will you be putting up a ” just-giving ” link so folk can pay by paypal ?

gorget that I just spotted the link…thicky

marsdenman
    Free Member

Mrs MM again. Thank you bunnyhop and mr potatohead x
    Sandwich, I’m guessing payday is end of month so will make sure my brother keeps the page open until then .. Thank you x

Sandwich

Yes end of the month it is. Chris ran the fat club and was encouraging when I was 15kg heavier than I am now.

Bunnyhop

Sharon – it looks like Gary did very well considering the heat.

Even though he has completed the run I’m sure he’d be delighted by more donations. J. x

Alex

Saw the original thread. Very moving and sad. Donated. Good Luck to you both – sounds very trite, but it feels like the right thing to say.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Hello, Mrs MM here again.
    Thank you for the sponsorship/donations, Gary (my brother ) did a time of 1 hr 5 mins and has raised nearly £750 with the on line donations and some off line ones I’ve collected. Chris and I are really proud of him and also very grateful to everyone one who has contributed to that …. And we hope this has helped raise awareness of lung cancer
    …… Don’t worry Sandwich, page is staying open until pay day as requested, and I remember helping Chris with the fat club spreadsheet, well done you on the 15kg x

scaredypants

not sure if it’s just me – that website makes donating quite hard (refused my details a few times and then took ages to confirm). If anyone tries & fails, have another go 😀

Best wishes to the marsdenpeople

Sandwich

Donated today all the best Marsdenpeople.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mrs MarsdenMan – link to charity page’ is closed to new replies.