Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • MRP G3 Mini vs Blackspire DER Chainguides
  • duir
    Free Member

Anyone used either of the above?

Going to use it on 1X10 on 160mm bike with 42 tooth cog. Particularly interested in the non moving parts option that both offer and also require a taco style bash guard.

G3 supposed to be miles better/stronger than previous G2? Can use pulley wheel or sliding lower guide instead of pulley.

DER has sliding lower guide instead of pulley too.

Durability? Noise? Drag? 42tooth compatibility?

Opinions appreciated.

brant
    Free Member

I really like my DER guide.

duir
    Free Member

Thanks Brant.

How does it hold up? Rock strikes? Mud? How does the slider wear?

Ta

brant
    Free Member

Does all that super well. Had it since I was prototyping Ragley FS frames.

Northwind

Found my G3 a little noisy, but not bad at all. Bottom roller is a little bit faffy, as it neither comes off completely when you undo the bolt, nor stays held on anywhere useful, so I can see what they were trying to do but they didn’t succeed. But it is really good at being a chainguide.

duir
    Free Member

I just had an email back from MRP informing me that the G3 will not work on my XTR M980 converted to 1X10, 2X10 due to chainline issues so that rules that one out.

Hopefully the Blackspire DER will work.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I personally wouldnt touch MRP guides again after snapping two two guides and one bottom roller clean off.

Now moved to a Straitline Silent Guide which is awesome.

duir
    Free Member

What crank are you using Brant?

honourablegeorge

duir – Member
    I just had an email back from MRP informing me that the G3 will not work on my XTR M980 converted to 1X10, 2X10 due to chainline issues so that rules that one out.

Odd. I had an MRP Lopes guide with an XTR 980 cranks on two bikes and they were both perfect (one BB mount, one ISCG05 – which is for sale)

alcolepone
    Free Member

anyone tried the shimano saint chain guide? thinking of using it with a xtr 970 cranks…. without bash they’re about £60 seems cheaper than most. reviews seem positive, just real world example would be good.

brant
    Free Member

I used it on xt

toys19
    Free Member

I echo all above. Had both, the mrp broke all the bleddy time, the der guide is excellent.

alcolepone
    Free Member

did you find any issue Brant?

duir
    Free Member

Brilliant guide, dead simple. Sadly couldn’t get it to work with my XTR M980 cranks. Top guide is the issue, either catches the chain in the lowest gear or top gear. Unable to space it out just right.

Maybe could get it just right if I could find some 0.10 mm m6 washers?

Brant seems to have got it working on his XT’s. Maybe just not compatible with my frame (2013 Nicolai Helius AC).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘MRP G3 Mini vs Blackspire DER Chainguides’ is closed to new replies.